Droid 3 doubts: availability and price in Europe (Italy) ?

T3STY

Reaction score
Hello all!
I'm from Italy, and I hope you'll be able to clear my doubts.

I've just watched a lot of videos about Motorola's Droid 3, and man, I'm in love with it! The right screen size, the right user approach and powerful HW and SW, it's definitely the phone for me!

Although, there is one big issue. When using the US version in Europe it just won't work as expected. That would be because the different GSM/3G networks used in US and Europe which kind of overload the phone. I've heard a lot of users that couldn't actually use the phone because it keeps on hanging up with any application. When using it without a SIM inserted it works just fine but you won't be able to use it as a phone. Wi-Fi is confirmed to work fine.

So, will there be available an European version of this phone any soon? Or is it already available? (I wasn't able to find any Italian seller)
Also, I know that's half-illegal or so, but do you think that if I install an european version of the firmware it'll work just fine?

And last question, about price. I've heard that in US it is available for just 99$ ? Which price is it supposed to be in Europe?

Thanks to anyone who'll be answering me ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
T3STY

T3STY

Reaction score
sorry for double posting; I want to make sure you've understood that with Droid 3 I meant Motorola's Droid 3.
(could any moderator/admin edit my previous post adding this line, please? )

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
So, will there be available an European version of this phone any soon? Or is it already available? (I wasn't able to find any Italian seller)
Also, I know that's half-illegal or so, but do you think that if I install an european version of the firmware it'll work just fine?

I don't follow the Droid 3 but if there's a GSM version, it may be called a Milestone 3.
And for installing European firmware, I don't think it will work. A Droid 3 has CDMA radios, a Milestone has GSM radios. The software isn't compatible.

I edited your post but it's too late for the title. 1/2 hour max after posting or it will break links if I changed it.

Tapped from a Galaxy Nexus using Xparent ICS

OP
T3STY

T3STY

Reaction score
Got it about editing :)

OK, so if I'm looking for the Droid 3 in Europe, that would be called Milestone 3, right? That makes sense as i found droid 3 only from non-europe sellers. Looking forward for Milestone 3 then, I'll be checking my local sellers too hoping there is any special offer.
I'll let you know about, just in case someone's interested in a European version of Droid 3. BTW, how's droid 3 priced in US?

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
Correct. The GSM version of the Droid 3 is a Milestone 3, or a Motorola XT860.

And I've seen them as low as $49 US dollars for one on a new contract for a Droid 3.

OP
T3STY

T3STY

Reaction score
Just $49? I really hope there's something similar here in Italy where usually, powerful phones as this one cost above $400. Or maybe you meant a $49/month contract?

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
That would be $49 for signing a new contract, not including the monthly fee. I wouldn't doubt the $400 though. I could see it being that much if it was bought of contract.

OP
T3STY

T3STY

Reaction score
Checked in some local stores and the last one I've checked said that this phone has yet to come in Italy as the model XT862 (not XT860 which is US only) and will probably cost around 600€ (about 755 USD)...