Droid 2... worth it?

Fletch71011

Reaction score
I've had a Droid 1 for a while now, and while I'm not eligible for an upgrade soon, I was thinking of just buying a Droid 2 off of craigslist or something. My question, is it worth the upgrade? What do you think a fair price buying a Droid 2 would be?

awdftw

Reaction score
I've had a Droid 1 for a while now, and while I'm not eligible for an upgrade soon, I was thinking of just buying a Droid 2 off of craigslist or something. My question, is it worth the upgrade? What do you think a fair price buying a Droid 2 would be?

Well I have only brief experience with the D1 and I think the D2 is a significant enough upgrade to justify buying it. I would say that if you can find one on craigs in good condition I would probably pay $200 for it.

What about verizons bogo offer right now on the d2?

DansDroid83

Reaction score
I received a droid2 as a replacement for the droid1 after having 2 replacements shipped. I was on the phone with tech support and they said a dual 1Ghz processor version would be coming out soon, save your upgrade for that! I do love my D2 though.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
F

Fletch71011

Reaction score
I'm going to keep my upgrade, but someone offered me a Droid 2 for $250. I think I'm going to take it if you guys think it is worth it.

Taegost

Reaction score
I loved my Droid, but my Droid 2 is soooo much nicer... The extra RAM makes a big difference, and so does the onboard storage. $250 is the price of the Droid 2 with contract and without the $100 rebate right now, so it's a fair price.

dch921

Reaction score
I would have to say save your money. I had the Droid 1 day 1. Got the Droid 2 as a warranty replacement, and a good part of me wishes I still had my Droid 1. Don't get me wrong the D2 is a great phone but the locked bootloader is the main problem. I liked the tons of ROM choices on the D1 and all the different overclocking kernals. Just don't have this with the D2.

If it was very cheap <$50 I would say give it a shot. But for $250 your better off hanging on to your money. There will be plenty of great phones to choose from in the next few months, and you can always pay off your contract early since the fee drops every month and then buy a new phone at the 2 year price.

$250 for a used Droid 2 with no warranty isn't a fair price.

Just my 2 cents

Lenagainster

Reaction score
FWIW, the D1s have been going on eBay for $150 to $200, slightly higher with pristine units having the 16 GB card and some accessories. Haven't looked closely at D2s (got mine via the BOGO offer now on Verizon) but I'd guess they are significantly higher. Go to eBay and search on "completed sales" to get an idea of what D2s are selling for. IMHO, there are too many scams on Craigslist and you don't have any recourse if you get taken. There's a bit more safety on eBay with their purchase guarantee and seller ratings. If there's a $50 spread between the cost of a D2 and what you could sell your D1 for, it might be worth it. But I don't think the advantage of a D2 over a D1 is worth much more than that.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would have to say save your money. I had the Droid 1 day 1. Got the Droid 2 as a warranty replacement, and a good part of me wishes I still had my Droid 1. Don't get me wrong the D2 is a great phone but the locked bootloader is the main problem. I liked the tons of ROM choices on the D1 and all the different overclocking kernals. Just don't have this with the D2.

If it was very cheap <$50 I would say give it a shot. But for $250 your better off hanging on to your money. There will be plenty of great phones to choose from in the next few months, and you can always pay off your contract early since the fee drops every month and then buy a new phone at the 2 year price.

$250 for a used Droid 2 with no warranty isn't a fair price.

Just my 2 cents

You can get by the locked boot loader by using z4Root. It's a one tap app that will root your D2 in about 1 minute.

MrKleen

Reaction score
If you have had the D1 for a while I thik you would very much enjoy the D2!

You will still have your upgrade to take advantage of the latest greatest in the future.