Droid 2 wifi not working

dast

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I've seen a lot of the same behavior people have described here. I've managed to tune away most of the hiccups that were the primary cause of dropped connections for me.

First, turn off Bluetooth. It operates in the same 2.4 GHz ISM band as Wifi and (may) cause significant interference. I find that I can almost never establish a Wifi connection if Bluetooth is on. When I can establish a connection, it drops frequently. This causes me a slight bit of heartburn that I can't use Wifi and Bluetooth simultaneously, but I can live with it for a better Wifi connection.

Second, check out and adjust the settings on your router. Unless you are an electrical engineer or a wireless networking expert, you are probably going to have to use trial and error. I found that the only parameters that seemed to make any difference on my setup were flavor of 802.11 (b,g,n,etc) was in use and what channel the router broadcasted on. Changing between b/g/n obviously has implications on range and throughput, so keep that in mind. My setup seems to work best with 802.11b which sucks but at least it works more reliably. Choosing a channel is a matter of finding out what channels are in use by other access points within range. I suggest the Wifi Analyzer app on the marketplace. It is one of the best tools on android as it turns your phone into a pretty good Wifi analyzer. It will show you what access points are around you and what channels they are using in graph form, so you can clearly see where you overlap. I changed my router from Auto Select (this helped reliability a bit too) to a specific channel away from what other people were using.

I still have other issues with Wifi, but these changes made the most difference in reducing dropped connections. It is still sometimes difficult to establish an initial connection, especially when I turn Wifi on via the home screen widget. Doing it through the options menu works a bit better. The symptom is that the phone will turn on and off Wifi over and over until it eventually scans for access points and finds mine. There are also times where I have a good connection to my router but all traffic that leaves my network seems to go nowhere. I've found this is mostly due to my crappy internet connection and not the phone.

Dankinia

Reaction score
I am glad that I am not the only one with this issue. My D1 connected to my home network without any probkem, but my new D2 either wont connect, or keeps or keeps dropping the connection. I really hope they resolve this issue soon. 3G is spotty in my house so I rely on WiFi while I'm home.

TiberiusX

Reaction score
I saw it posted in another forum on another site (don't remember where and can't find it again)......turn off WMM on your router and it should work. I run a Netgear WNR2000 and was having problems not being able to connect, turned off WMM in the router settings and now I get a stable connection running 65mps. Hope this helps everyone!! dancedroid

snoles188

Reaction score
I know its annoying....

But some poster on here said to reset your router. Worked almost immediately. Leave your wifi off on your phone, and then once your router is back on line, reconnect. Perfect signal now. Pain in the arse, but it does work.

Vortec6

Reaction score
I just got a droid 2 and was having the same issue until I reset my router by unplugging it and it appears to have fixed the problem. It seems like maybe its an issue with the Netgear routers, which Comcast just gave me one as an upgrade.

Vortec6

Reaction score
Wait nevermind it didn't fix the problem. It just worked long enough for me to make that post then went down lol.

saxman255

Reaction score
turn off WMM

I saw it posted in another forum on another site (don't remember where and can't find it again)......turn off WMM on your router and it should work. I run a Netgear WNR2000 and was having problems not being able to connect, turned off WMM in the router settings and now I get a stable connection running 65mps. Hope this helps everyone!! dancedroid

I tried this and it worked great! Pandora wouldn't connect normally and other internet browsing over Wifi was not normal. But after turning off WMM (Wireless MultiMedia) everything is working great again!

For those who don't know, WMM is a protocol that can be enabled that will give certain wifi data to have a higher priority over others. Usually this can get you a better connection for streaming video and audio, but only on devices that work with it. For those of you with netgear routers, you should be able to go to www.routerlogin.net and login with the username/pwd (usually admin/password, unless you changed it) and there you can find configuration options. Try looking under the advanced section for wireless settings.

Good luck!