Droid 2 to Droid 2 Global

brettt777

Reaction score
What is the difference between a D2 and a D2G, i.e., is it a physical difference inside the thing or is it just soft/firmware? Can a D2 be upgraded to a D2G or do you have to get an entirely new phone?

Reaction score
The global has a gsm/cdma radio inside it. It also has an upgraded processor clocked at 1.2 ghz. It also has different firmware.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
B

brettt777

Reaction score
So if I wanted a D2G it would basicaly mean a new phone. I have recently had to travel overseas for work, and undoubtedly will have to do it again. While I certainly wouldn't want to make my Droid usage a habit when I am over there (not at $3.50+ a minute!), it would have been nice to have something that I can use in a pinch or emergency.

mopar57

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Well the Screen resolution is better, processor is faster, and on my the keyboard is different. I think the global is better. It has more of a button to push.

tothenet

Reaction score
I don't think there's any difference in physical appearance including keyboard and screen resolution. All the differences are internal. 200MHz difference is not big deal since overclocking can easily boost 200MHz. I have Droid 1 and I use it at 1.1GHz from original 550MHz.

I also bought D2G just because I need to use it when I travel oversea. It worked flawlessly well. I didn't have problem using local SIM. I called Verizon rep and unlocked before my trip.

The benefit is that, D2G uses best network(Verizon) in US and gives us option to use any air standard while in oversea. That's very good advantage but shorter battery life is minus compared to D2.