Droid 2 Slide Out Keyboard Issues-Can It Be Fixed?

eg146

Reaction score
I've been meaning to ask about this for awhile but kept forgetting.

So I use the slide out keyboard all the time but there are a few odd quirks if you will that drive me nuts!

1. The dollar sign always backs up against last letter typed like this $ 10 vs. $10
Same this with quotes like this" urrg" vs. this "urrg"

2. It won't auto cap words like I or auto correct im to be I'm. My Blackberry did that for me even words like don't and can't appear as dont or cant
Only a few websites allow this to auto correct like this site but fewer than more for sure.

3. Having to capitalize the first letter of a sentence NOT double spaced from last sentence.
like this vs

Like this.

Isn't that weird? Is there a wayaround this? Even having to use the shift or alt buttons is a pain in the rear. Its not a great keyboard anyway (very uncomfortable) so I'm hoping to find a way to make it work better.

Any help/ideas would be wonderful!

Reaction score
1. I've never noticed the dollar sign, and just kind of assumed the quotes thing was me messing up.. Good to know.

2. Mine does both of those. I'm thinking you've taught it not to, accidentally. (Or you have auto correct turn off). Try clearing your user dictionary (pretty sure it's in options, or you can find the user dictionary in your list of apps and clear its data).

3. I capitalize the first letter of a sentence out of habit, so I've never noticed this.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

So I use the slide out keyboard all the time but there are a few odd quirks if you will that drive me nuts!

1. The dollar sign always backs up against last letter typed like this $ 10 vs. $10

2. It won't auto cap words like I or auto correct im to be I'm. My Blackberry did that for me even words like don't and can't appear as dont or cant
Only a few websites allow this to auto correct like this site but fewer than more for sure.

3. Having to capitalize the first letter of a sentence NOT double spaced from last sentence.
like this vs

Like this.

Isn't that weird? Is there a wayaround this? Even having to use the shift or alt buttons is a pain in the rear. Its not a great keyboard anyway (very uncomfortable) so I'm hoping to find a way to make it work better.

Any help/ideas would be wonderful!

I don't know what's up with your $ sign, quite honestly I don't use the physical keyboard. But there is a reason why I'm doesn't automatically come with the apostrophe. Sometimes people will say I sent an im to so and so. That is why you have to select it on your list of suggestions. I know more often then not that's not what we mean, but that's why it does that.

The $ issue I've never experienced that using the virtual keyboard. Take a look at your personal dictionary and see if something is in there that you can change. It would be in settings/keyboards/

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I don't know what's up with your $ sign, quite honestly I don't use the physical keyboard. But there is a reason why I'm doesn't automatically come with the apostrophe. Sometimes people will say I sent an im to so and so. That is why you have to select it on your list of suggestions. I know more often then not that's not what we mean, but that's why it does that.

The $ issue I've never experienced that using the virtual keyboard. Take a look at your personal dictionary and see if something is in there that you can change. It would be in settings/keyboards/

I have the same problem with punctuation like $ on my droid x. I think that it's a software flaw. Most punctuation is placed after a word although some are not.
I also have the same problem with the im but on my droid it auto corrects on both the hardware keyboard and virtual keyboard. I hove know idea why they would add im to the dictionary in front of I'm, when I'm is used more

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have the same problem with the dollar sign and quotes.

edwards2243

Reaction score
Does anybody have problems with their keyboard sliding out too easily? Any ways to fix this? Literally my only beef with the D2.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App