Droid 2 Overclock Capabilities?

SLOflatlander

Reaction score
so currently, i have an htc droid incredible. i got excited when i saw that the droid 1 can be overclocked to around double its original clock speed, but was a bit disappointed when i learned that the snapdragon processor is not as capable at OC'ing. so my question is, while the snapdragon processor can only be over clocked to around 1.15ghz from its original 1ghz, will the droid 2 processor be able to handle as big of a load as the one found in the droid one? or in simpler terms, will it be possible to overclock to speeds much higher, (keeping with the same ratio as the DI, say 2ghz?) i know a lot of other factors go into overclocking, but just speaking processor wise, is is quite possibly that the processor found in the d2 will be similar in ability to overclock as the d1? or will it be close to that of the snapdragon found in the nexus one and htc incredible

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
droid 2 - encrypted bootloader - like the Droid X

might not be able to OC for a while so I wouldnt count on anything. and how much faster do you really need than 1Ghz on a phone?

lol and your "terms" were already simple :)

OP
S

SLOflatlander

Reaction score
Yeah I tend to ramble a bit so I figured id state it two ways Haha. Yeah and I know about the encrypted bootloader, but that's what I meant about other factors. I was speaking strictly processor capabilities

Reaction score
No you will not be seeing a 100% + overclock ratio like with the droid 1, the processor in the droid 2 is basically almost the same as the droid 1 except its running on a 45nm die instead of 65 and is certified to run at 1ghz instead of 600mhz. Basically you will probably see higher clock speeds in the long run but i doubt anywhere close to 2Ghz

ChugIt

Reaction score
I would estimate 1.5Ghz to be a possible safe zone. Anything more you're looking at problems probably. Of course this is all dependent on that bootloader, as we are all aware (so why did I type that sentence?). :blink:

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
This was something I was covering over at DL ...

At some point, with the droid form factor (D1, D2, DX maybe) you will run into heat issues, if not just looking at stability of the particular chip (CPU) that you have.

The reason the D1 has such a range is because to begin with it was a 600Mhz chip UNDERCLOCKED to 550.

Now we stick in a 1Ghz chip to start with, and natively you may have a lower heat level to begin with, maybe not.

I'd also say 1.50 perhaps. But since no one has cracked the bootloader, we won't know yet.

You might also get it slightly OC'd by tweaking the kernal itself once rooted, which is what the devs are playing with now.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
droid 2 - encrypted bootloader - like the Droid X

might not be able to OC for a while so I wouldnt count on anything. and how much faster do you really need than 1Ghz on a phone?

lol and your "terms" were already simple :)

Somebody already overclocked a Droid X via a kernel module. The results were not encouraging, I believe 1.1GHz was unstable.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/64942-droid-x-successfully-overclocked.html

I can almost guarantee that the overclockability is NOT going to be what the Droid 1 was - we are not going to see Droid 2's running in excess on 2GHz.

I don't know how some of you folks are coming up with 1.5GHz either. 45nm or not, I think it's going to max out right around where Droid 1 does (around 1.25 - 1.3GHz with a GOOD chip)

You might also get it slightly OC'd by tweaking the kernal itself once rooted, which is what the devs are playing with now.

Assuming the kernel module allows voltage tweaks (which it looks like it does, the dev just hasn't messed with it yet) the overclockability via a kernel module should be the same as via a custom kernel. If it ends up only "slightly overclocked" then it is a limitation of the chipset, and not the overclocking method.

Last edited:

battlemac

Reaction score
.25ghz increase is better than nothing. I really think the Droid 2 and X will see a max of 1.5ghz stably.

Cdjones187

Reaction score
If the CPU in these phones are anything like AMD/Intel chips the droid 2 probably wont go past 1.25-1.3ghz because its based off the same chip as the DROID (NOT DROID 1 geeez :p).. What Im saying is they will use the same CPU and under clock it like they did with the DROID. Except now, the D2 frequency is at 1ghz already, so unless there is anything different besides the 45nm die instead of 65nm the D2 wont be stable past around 1.3 ghz.. The reason they do this is to make money, use the same omap processor clocked at a higher frequency (almost maxed out) and sell it for an extra 100 or so $$$... So if your thinking about making a insurance claim I would wait off untill more is known about the device. This is only day 1, let the devs tear it apart and we'll see root within 2 weeks (hopefully)

mdloops

Reaction score
Don't get your hopes up. Same architecture as CPU in Droid 1, so clock speeds will be similar.