Droid 2 (or is it Droid 2 Global now?) vs LG Ally

StinkyPete

Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade my wife's phone to her first smartphone and wanted to see about the Droid 2 or the LG Ally. A few questions...

1. Is the plain Droid 2 still around or was it replaced by the Global version?
2. If both are a still around, what are the BASIC differences that a noob smartphone user would notice (global usage is not one of the differentiators for her)?
3. Did anyone consider the LG Ally as opposed to the Droid 2? I know it is a lesser phone, and given an equal price, I would probably go with the D2, but just wondering since the Ally is "free" with Verizon right now.

Thanks very much....

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade my wife's phone to her first smartphone and wanted to see about the Droid 2 or the LG Ally. A few questions...

1. Is the plain Droid 2 still around or was it replaced by the Global version?
2. If both are a still around, what are the BASIC differences that a noob smartphone user would notice (global usage is not one of the differentiators for her)?
3. Did anyone consider the LG Ally as opposed to the Droid 2? I know it is a lesser phone, and given an equal price, I would probably go with the D2, but just wondering since the Ally is "free" with Verizon right now.

Thanks very much....

1. To the best of my knowledge it appears it's only the D2G now. However you may still find the D2 available here and there.

2. D2G has a slightly faster processor. 1.2 GhZ as opposed to 1.0 GHZ. I don't want to get into battery life, all smart phones suck up battery I've heard some cons about D2G but I'll bet there is no difference.

3. Nope, never thought of the Ally myself because I always want a real Droid, not an Android phone. That's just me.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm with you Hook.

The D2 and the D2G are two different phones. I am rather happy with my D2. My buddy has a D2G that he got after his D1 died and he wishes he got the DX or the D2 instead. I am not sure why though.

Lenagainster

Reaction score
Look at it this way: you have to pay $30 per month for the data plan for either phone. You might as well get the most out of that $30 over the next 20 to 24 months. I would think the D2G would be worth more at the end of 2 years than the Ally.

cubuff

Reaction score
My wife has the ally I have the d2. The d2 is a superior phone by far.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Reaction score
My friend has the ally. Ill just say that her phone doesn't make me jealous. I'm content with my droid 2.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Patgt500

Reaction score
Coming from an ally myself, at least I could flash custom kernels, something I can't do on D2G.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

Reaction score
Coming from an ally myself, at least I could flash custom kernels, something I can't do on D2G.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

That says nothing about the differences in the phone, though. The D2G stock outperforms an ally with any tweaks you could possibly apply. A D2G with Fission, or rooted with all the bloat removed is a much more powerful and refined tool than an Ally.

destes37

Reaction score
I have a Droid 2 that i love. Just recently purchased an Ally for my wife. It makes a great "starter" smartphone for those who have never used one.

SparkleBunny

Reaction score
My fiance has an Ally, and every time I look at his phone I feel a little guilty about having one that's so much better. The Ally looks and feels like a toy and works more slowly.