Droid 2 keeps restarting

[email protected]

Reaction score
I've had my Droid 2 for about a year and a half and haven't really had any issues with it until today. I usually stream music through my phone while I am at work with it plugged into a power adapter. It was working fine all morning but about half an hour ago I stepped out of my office for a few minutes and when I came back it was restarting. I figured it just crashed and restarted and everything would be ok, but it is constantly restarting now.

I haven't downloaded any new apps recently, although it did do an automatic update of a bunch of them early this morning but like I said, it was working fine all morning. I also got a notification on my phone about a half hour before the restarting happened saying the internal storage was getting low even though I don't have that many apps or anything else saved on my phone. I deleted some 3 games that I no longer play, but the low storage message still displayed.

So each time my phone restarts it blinks a pink colored light while it is loading, sometimes it loads to the screen unlock and when I unlock my phone it just shows my background, no apps or anything. Other times it shows my full home screen but comes up with a message saying an app isn't responding (it says a different app each time even if I don't try to open that app). If I click on the menu button it will freeze.

I've taken out the battery and put it back in, it still keeps restarting. Anyone encounter this problem before?

Stacy1078

Reaction score
Same Here

The same thing keeps happening to me as well. I've cleared the caches for all my apps, uninstalled some apps that I no longer use and my memory isn't too full. I'm not sure what else I can do either. All of my apps (especially Facebook and text messaging) are giving me error messages and forcing me to force stop. Sometimes I can't even do that - the phone gets completely stuck and I have to take the battery out in order to reboot. I feel like a total moron because I can't figure out how to fix it. I really hate to do a factory reset but I will if it's absolutely necessary. I'm hoping someone else has some advice.

bmcswee

Reaction score
Same problem here with my r2d2. It restarts without warning several times a day. It always did this no matter what version of android i had. I've done factory restores before and i still have the problem. Would love to know a fix if there's one out there.

OhioMade

Reaction score
Same problem wth my D2. Been happening for weeks. My unit is 1.5 years old.

Stacy1078

Reaction score
Ok, I think I figured out how to fix my problem - maybe it will help you folks. First thing I did was clear the cache on the multi-touch keyboard. Then, since I already cleared the caches on all my apps, I went back to each one and cleared the data. That seems to have helped. I'm not getting any force close messages when I go into my apps and my Droid hasn't restarted on it's own.

archrynut

Reaction score
I have had the same problem witth my Droid 2. I took it to Verizon and one of the Tech people there told me it was the onscreen keyboard that came with it. He downloaded the "Gingerbread" keyboard and although it did not stop it all together it has slowed way down the number of times it resets. Hope this helps someone

Squeak87

Reaction score
Its called the 'auto on' feature which Verizon has been trying to fix. They have just released an update to OS 2.3.4 for the D2 which supposedly corrects this. I just updated so I will let you know if the problem is fixed.

GoddessOfCarbs

Reaction score
phone restarting, can't update

I have had the same problem witth my Droid 2. I took it to Verizon and one of the Tech people there told me it was the onscreen keyboard that came with it. He downloaded the "Gingerbread" keyboard and although it did not stop it all together it has slowed way down the number of times it resets. Hope this helps someone

How am I supposed to apply the update if my phone won't stay on? Do I have to go to the store or is there a way to do it myself?

GoddessOfCarbs

Reaction score
My phone started doing this today. It was on this morning, no problems. I got a notice saying it was low on space, so I deleted a few apps (all stuff that I had downloaded, nothing that could cause a problem). Then I opened my Kindle app and began deleting books off the device. I did that for 3 books, everything was fine, then it froze as I was deleting the 4th book, and then entered the endless restart loop. I removed the battery, thinking that would help, but it didn't. So I removed it for a longer period of time, but still nothing. I'm just caught in the loop, but I don't have enough expertise to know what to do next.

GoddessOfCarbs

Reaction score
Ok, I think I figured out how to fix my problem - maybe it will help you folks. First thing I did was clear the cache on the multi-touch keyboard. Then, since I already cleared the caches on all my apps, I went back to each one and cleared the data. That seems to have helped. I'm not getting any force close messages when I go into my apps and my Droid hasn't restarted on it's own.

How do you clear the cache on the keyboard? How are you doing anything with the phone constantly restarting? Thanks.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
If your phone is stuck in bootloop you need to pull the battery then restart the phone so you can boot into recovery and do a factory data reset.

Power the phone on while holding 'X' on the physical keyboard

When the triangle with the '!' appears press both the up and down volume keys together

Select Wipe data/factory reset with the arrows and then press the enter key on the keyboard. Confirm this and let the system do it's thing. The play store should offer you the option to reinstall your apps once this is complete.

RicheeeRich

Reaction score
If your phone is stuck in bootloop you need to pull the battery then restart the phone so you can boot into recovery and do a factory data reset.

Power the phone on while holding 'X' on the physical keyboard

When the triangle with the '!' appears press both the up and down volume keys together

Select Wipe data/factory reset with the arrows and then press the enter key on the keyboard. Confirm this and let the system do it's thing. The play store should offer you the option to reinstall your apps once this is complete.

Not sure how to do this since my Droid X2 doesn't have a physical keyboard. Any alternatives?

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think you hold the home key while powering on the Droid X2. Google it to be certain.