Droid 2 hacking/rom install class

jasnmar

Reaction score
My "What Happened" post

Ok, so the story of what happened. I tried to apply a custom ROM using Bootstrap Recovery, something went wrong and it wouldn’t load, so I needed to SBF the phone.

Before I messed up my phone I had downloaded the USB drivers for the phone and had successfully plugged the phone into the W7x64 machine to transfer files etc. I also already had RSDLite 4.9 installed on the machine. I’d launched it and made sure that SBF files would load, but didn’t check to see if the Start button was enabled when my phone was plugged in previous to breaking it. Just didn’t check.

So, I booted the phone into the bootloader, plugged it in to the USB port. Phone correctly shows that the transfer mode is USB. I launch RSD Lite and load my SBF File. In the bottom window in RSD Lite it shows “S Flash OMAP3630 MI” in the model column, port type of USB and IMEI / ESN / MEID of “N/A” and Status Connected. No matter where I click in RSD Lite I cannot get the Start button to enable (this is still true by the way). I re-read the instructions that PC posted about 30 times, plugged un-plugged, tried it in recovery mode, rebooted the phone a bunch of times, put it on the charger (even though I knew it had close to full charge) and tried it again, still nothing.

At this point, I randomly decided that my SBF file must not be valid so I went and downloaded one from another mirror (the file ended up with the same exact size, I didn’t do a binary diff or check the CRC value to verify, but I was reasonably convinced that the files were the same). Tried again with RSD Lite. Still no start button in RSD Lite :-(.

Now I’ve decided that I don’t have the correct drivers installed (even though I’ve been moving stuff back and forth between my PC and the phone). I un-install the Moto drivers that I have and find some “other ones” (I honestly don’t remember where, I was in a bit of a panic at this point). Still no start button. Try some other drivers. No.

Searching… Finally came across Trouble flashing with RSD lite in Vista/Windows 7 - Mobile Modding.us. Hmmm. So I copy my SBF file to the RSD Lite folder and rename it D2.SBF to save myself some typing, and give it a try. RSD Lite launches and goes through most of the process of uploading the SBF file after the file is uploaded RSD Lite switches USB modes and I get a notification on my PC that the Motorola Flash Interface driver can’t be found. RSD Lite reports a failure.

I close RSD Lite and unplug the phone. Boot the phone and now when it boots it says code corrupt and stops at the bootloader. More drivers installed / uninstalled. I KNOW I ended up with the ones from USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA (which have actually been updated to version 4.9 since this happened, I still have version 4.8, but I know that I found a version that was reportedly 4.9 on some file sharing site and had tried it to no avail). Plugging / unplugging the phone a bunch more times and still trying to get the Start button to enable. Nada. Try the command line version again. This time the application goes further, but still ends up reporting a failure. I don’t specifically remember what the failure was (apologies to all). OK, second time if failed at a later point than it did the first time. My logic indicates that trying a 3rd time might make it farther. Boot the phone (phone still won’t get past bootloader). Boot the computer (I’d done this numerous times that I didn’t mention). Try the “UI” version of RSD Lite again, still no start button. Command line version again. This time it works. I don’t really follow PC’s instructions as while still running RSD Lite the phone goes all the way to the “Touch to begin screen”, so the part about unplugging doesn’t really happen for me.

One thing that I mention above, but I think is important is that I still can’t get the Start button to activate in RSD Lite while in the bootloader. I have discovered that I MUST have RSD Lite working in First-Come-First-Serve DeviceId mode to get my phone to show up (Config -> DeviceID Options). The phone still reports as a “S Flash OMAP3630 MI” while in the bootloader.

The post about the command line interface that indicated I should use SDL.exe -f xxxx.sbf -t 2 worked for me eventually. Today, however, I can’t get my phone to show up in RSD Lite while the phone is “up and running”, so there’s still some quirky behavior going on. I suspect that I still have some type of a driver issue, but don’t know what it is yet.

hth

jason

jasnmar

Reaction score
Driver issue

For me this is almost surely a driver problem. As I was plugging / unplugging switching modes for the last post, I continued switching modes a bit more afterwards and managed to lock my entire computer by switching from PC to USB Mass storage mode on my device.
Uninstalling drivers and will try again.

jason

Ronbo85

Reaction score
Thank you Jason for taking the time to share your experience. I will digest it to see if I can come up with some more strategy.

trook

Reaction score
on a vista computer, where you put the sbf file is essential. My start button is greyed out unless the sbf file is on my d drive, or the root of my C drive, windows 7, its on my desktop, also try rebooting your phone with it plugged into the usb port.

jasnmar

Reaction score
on a vista computer, where you put the sbf file is essential. My start button is greyed out unless the sbf file is on my d drive, or the root of my C drive, windows 7, its on my desktop, also try rebooting your phone with it plugged into the usb port.

Win7/64. Just tried placing the SBF at the root of C: and sure enough, the Start button enables. Thanks trook!

I still have something of a driver problem. When I connected in PC mode "most" of the drivers work and install correctly except for the MTP USB Device driver. There are a number of random problems with all sorts of random devices that exhibit similar problems on W7/64 according to google search.

As a side note / update from above, now, when in PC mode with the device not in the boot loader (up and running) RSDLite correctly lists my device as an A955 and also lists the MEID correctly. Still no MEID and an "S Flash" device listed in boot loader.
jason

Ronbo85

Reaction score
Hi thank you for all the replies

I had to take a break from this for a couple days. I think I've tried every body suggestion about 1,000,000 times lol. J would be more than happy if I found out I was doing something wrong.

I've tried this on 4 computers. Two were vista 1 was windows 7 And 1 was linux. I only had the start button issue on 1 of the vista machines. I have not yet tried it on windows xp. I will regroup when I get home tonight and start trying again. Thank you all again for your help

sent via Droid X

Ronbo85

Reaction score
Well so far no luck. The start button part isnt really an issue for me on except for one PC I have tried.

Just for trouble shooting I tried the 2.2 full sbf to see what happens. I get the expected result for a phone that already had 2.3.20...

Bootloader
D2.35
Err:A5,70,00,1F

MEM_MAP Blank
Service Req'd
Battery OK
OK to program
Tranfer Mode: USB

So at least something is happening. Im open to any more ideas.

Ronbo85

Reaction score
Well I thought I just update everyone. I have now tried this on a windows xp machine to no avail. So now that makes it 4 different PC's 2 of them windows vista 1 window 7, 1 windows xp trying numerous copies of the 2.3.2 full sbf. I also tried rsd lite 4.7,4.8 & 4.9 as well as the 4.7 and 4.8 drivers. All give me the same result with a failed bp pass through message in my above post. After I reboot the phone and up with a code corrupt boot loader which I can fix by reflashing the bootloader sbf. I get the same end result with the linux. The only thing I notice is if I flash with the 2.3.2 system only sbf it seems to work successfully with any of the above combinations but all I end up is back in the bootloader again.

Everyone says if you see the motorola logo and can access the recovery menu that you do not have a brick and I get both of those. If there is some kind of update zip file I could use maybe with a stock recovery that a system will accept?

Sent from my DROIDX

sent via Droid X

Ronbo85

Reaction score
Hi, I already tried it but will again when I get home to be sure. As I recall I get a signature verification error. My recovery is the stock one. Thank you

sent via Droid X

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The TBH file will only work through bootstap. If you can get into bootstrap you can flash it. The locked recovery keeps you from flashing the update.zip like you can on the droid 1. You said you have a code corrupt bootloaders.

Use the system sbf and flash it, when it reboots pull your battery. Reinstall, power on while holding x. wipe data and cache. That should essentially clean your phone at least to the point you can get a replacement.

XanRules

Reaction score
Anyone know how to update to the most recent version of Clockwork Recovery?
I can't see it in the marketplace anymore and it's been a while since I used it, so it's not fresh in my mind.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Ronbo85

Reaction score
Hi what version are you on now? If you are referring to the clockwork mod when I check the marketplace its at 3.0 .0 .9. Are you possibly running a custom rom? I've had the marketplace act up with custom roms. Titanium backup has a market fix utility. Try searching market fix you will probably find that in another thread. If you can't let me know I will try and help further.

sent via Droid X

XanRules

Reaction score
Hi what version are you on now? If you are referring to the clockwork mod when I check the marketplace its at 3.0 .0 .9. Are you possibly running a custom rom? I've had the marketplace act up with custom roms. Titanium backup has a market fix utility. Try searching market fix you will probably find that in another thread. If you can't let me know I will try and help further.

sent via Droid X
Nope, no custom ROM. And I'm on, like... 2.6. I think.
Droid 2 Bootstrapper, same thing, yeah?

EDIT: I can find it in the marketplace, but, it doesn't show up as me owning it. I'd have to buy it again.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was at the bootloader menu and my phone died when I was doing an sbf. I'm stuck in the bootloader menu and cant get out to restart the process. Any help to get out of this menu?