Droid 2 hacking/rom install class

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
In regards to using RSD Lite, it says "DO NOT USE 2.2.20 SBF on a 2.3.20 device." I am in settings->about phone, but what are we looking at here? The kernal version?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It is the system version. You should use the full 2.3.2 sbf regardless though because sbfs are forwards compatible but not back.

tappin and a talkin

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
It is the system version. You should use the full 2.3.2 sbf regardless though because sbfs are forwards compatible but not back.

tappin and a talkin
So you saying it is safe to use the sbf if my version says 2.4.330? I flashed the Deodoxed "rom" for the GRD team if that matters.

On my backflip you could flash any one of the available sbf files at any given time. I easily downgraded the phone from Android 2.1 to 1.5 and even 2.2 to 2.1 despite radios being different on 1.5 vs 2.1. So reading that big red text I mentioned just totally threw me off as I never had any problems using an SBF to downgrade. I see no reason why the SBF file can not be used under any circumstances since it is whipping the internal nand memory completely clean.

If it is indeed safe, it would be nice if some one could fix that error in the guide.

Last edited:

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Ok so I flashed the SBF, but it seems like I might have broke the radio. I have a blue triangle in the status bar near the clock, and no network capability..It didnt do anything to my phone. It acted like it was reflashing the nand, but my version number is still the same, and my phone booted up and when it turned on, was exactly like I left it. So I dont get the point of the SBF. Shouldnt it wipe it clean to a factory state?

EDIT: OK so I got it working again. It seems it just erased the root,bootstrap/recovery, but kept everything else in tact. I decided to re-root,re-bootstrap, went in to recovery and just do a format of the data and cache. Booted back in to the phone and it is back to stock from what I can see.

Last edited:
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Cleaned up the sbf post. I removed the 2.2.20 message. The link I posted was to tbh which was 2.3.20 any way, the point was for those who had the previous 2.2.20 sbf to go ahead and delete that so you do not accidently flash the wrong sbf file.

I also removed the droid 2 global and droid pro steps and just moved them to their own section. Hopefully this stream lines that post and make it easier to understand.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Opps I just realized this is for the D2, not the D2G! With the D2G Froums grouped in with the D2 forums I guess I got confused.

dfarns

Reaction score
hi ya'll. im a "noob" (most common ice breaker by us "noobs" lol). anyways, i have had my D2 for about a year now and i just rooted a week ago...special thanks to zedomax @ droid2hacks.com and zedomax.com. i watch a awesome video that he created in Sep. of 2010 and he shows step-by-step on how to root the droid2 via usb using the cmd prompt on a pc/laptop (switching back-n-forth from his vid. to his writen instructions was very helpful as well). sry for the rambling, i just want to give everyone and understanding of what "plato" im on.

as i have mentioned, i have been rooted for a week or so. within that week i have been researching on how to install ROM's and let me say "for me, rooting was much easier to grasp then installing a custom ROM". I thought it would be all down hill from rooting only to find out it's the first step up an adventurous mountain. and i'm not complaining btw. im very happy my phone is rooted even if i never get a custom ROM on it, its much faster all the way around the board UI and web browsing.

however, im running:
system version 2.3.20.A955
android version 2.2
baseband version BP_C_01.09.07P

and it seems that all the custom ROM's i have been looking to install on my D2 you need a certain version gingerbread or froyo. can someone please explain to me what these are, because i personally thought they where also custom ROMs? also i plan on downloading droid 2 recovery bootstrap from the marked (seems this is the easy way to go) however, i would like to know if this app dumps the cache before it installs the new custom ROM and if so will it dump the dalvik cache as well?

if there is already a thread for this please post it for me as i have searched and searched and i still seem lost. also, any advice from you guys will be greatly appreciated. i just hope my device isn't too outdated to jump in the game, im having lots of fun with my D2 now and i enjoy reading all of the GREAT posts on this site.

Reaction score
hi ya'll. im a "noob" (most common ice breaker by us "noobs" lol). anyways, i have had my D2 for about a year now and i just rooted a week ago...special thanks to zedomax @ droid2hacks.com and zedomax.com. i watch a awesome video that he created in Sep. of 2010 and he shows step-by-step on how to root the droid2 via usb using the cmd prompt on a pc/laptop (switching back-n-forth from his vid. to his writen instructions was very helpful as well). sry for the rambling, i just want to give everyone and understanding of what "plato" im on.

as i have mentioned, i have been rooted for a week or so. within that week i have been researching on how to install ROM's and let me say "for me, rooting was much easier to grasp then installing a custom ROM". I thought it would be all down hill from rooting only to find out it's the first step up an adventurous mountain. and i'm not complaining btw. im very happy my phone is rooted even if i never get a custom ROM on it, its much faster all the way around the board UI and web browsing.

however, im running:
system version 2.3.20.A955
android version 2.2
baseband version BP_C_01.09.07P

and it seems that all the custom ROM's i have been looking to install on my D2 you need a certain version gingerbread or froyo. can someone please explain to me what these are, because i personally thought they where also custom ROMs? also i plan on downloading droid 2 recovery bootstrap from the marked (seems this is the easy way to go) however, i would like to know if this app dumps the cache before it installs the new custom ROM and if so will it dump the dalvik cache as well?

if there is already a thread for this please post it for me as i have searched and searched and i still seem lost. also, any advice from you guys will be greatly appreciated. i just hope my device isn't too outdated to jump in the game, im having lots of fun with my D2 now and i enjoy reading all of the GREAT posts on this site.

This is all that I know.... lol.... I can tell you if you have a 2. whatever you are on Fryo 3. whatever is gingerbread. As far as the cache goes no... there is no ROM out there that I have seen that will wipe automatically for you. You will have to read to see if you even need to wipe. Some ROMs you don't have to. hope this helps.