Droid 2 Global vs. Droid 2

mouthrulez

Reaction score
What is the difference between a droid 2 global and the droid 2? which one is better? how do i know which one i have? if it helps i bought mine through verizon around October 28th, 2010. I run with the Apex custom ROM and i am rooted.
-THANKS

Joseacevedo559

Reaction score
The Droid 2 global has faster processing its at 1.2ghz vs the 1ghz on the Droid 2. The Droid 2 global can be used in many countries, i don't know if you can do that on the Droid 2. Go online to my verizon and log in. It should show you your phone.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

droid doctor

Reaction score
The D2G has a 1.2 Ghz processor and global capabilities and the normal D2 has a 1.0 Ghz no global capabilities. The Normal D2 does not have as much bugs as the d2g.

Joseacevedo559

Reaction score
But if you rooted it does matter what it is just overclock it

Joseacevedo559

Reaction score
Don't know what the limits are on your phone before it becomes unstable but you should be safe at 1.3 anything beond that I don't know

OP
mouthrulez

mouthrulez

Reaction score
ok thanks..and wat will this do? make my phone faster?

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
The Droid 2 global can be used in many countries, i don't know if you can do that on the Droid 2. Go online to my verizon and log in. It should show you your phone.

If you have your phone unlocked, you can but only on other GSM networks. The D2G on the other hand has support for GSM and CDMA signals, and I believe there is or is close to being a hack to allow it to use the ATT CDMA signals which verizon blocked.

But if you rooted it does matter what it is just overclock it

If the CPU was exactly the same then yes, but the D2G CPU is slightly altered giving it a performance boost, as I understand it. It has an extra "slot." Its like saying a Intel Core 2 Quad and Intel Core i5 CPU both clocked at 4.0Ghz will perform the same. Thats not the case because the CPUs are designed differently. The i5 is much more efficient.

kickyindahead

Reaction score
Don't know what the limits are on your phone before it becomes unstable but you should be safe at 1.3 anything beond that I don't know

i currently have mine overclocked at 1.35... had it at 1.375 but didnt seem so stable .. at 1.4.. it was unstable for me .. im sure tat there are people out there that have theirs clocked higher but i feel comfortable at 1.35 ..

xlarkascendingx

Reaction score
If you have your phone unlocked, you can but only on other GSM networks. The D2G on the other hand has support for GSM and CDMA signals, and I believe there is or is close to being a hack to allow it to use the ATT CDMA signals which verizon blocked.

You have that backwards, Verizon uses CDMA and ATT uses GSM.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't have an answer for you on this other than my buddy who has a D2G is always complaining about small bugs or issues that I do not have with my D2.....plus my D2 seems way faster....but he is all stock...and I....well.....I'm not.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
I don't have an answer for you on this other than my buddy who has a D2G is always complaining about small bugs or issues that I do not have with my D2.....plus my D2 seems way faster....but he is all stock...and I....well.....I'm not.

I havent had any problems on Liberty that werent some how related to something I did, or didnt do.

dfarns

Reaction score
hi ya'll. im a "noob" (most common ice breaker by us "noobs" lol). anyways, i have had my D2 for about a year now and i just rooted a week ago...special thanks to zedomax @ droid2hacks.com and zedomax.com. i watch a awesome video that he created in Sep. of 2010 and he shows step-by-step on how to root the droid2 via usb using the cmd prompt on a pc/laptop (switching back-n-forth from his vid. to his writen instructions was very helpful as well). sry for the rambling, i just want to give everyone and understanding of what "plato" im on.

as i have mentioned, i have been rooted for a week or so. within that week i have been researching on how to install ROM's and let me say "for me, rooting was much easier to grasp then installing a custom ROM". I thought it would be all down hill from rooting only to find out it's the first step up an adventurous mountain. and i'm not complaining btw. im very happy my phone is rooted even if i never get a custom ROM on it, its much faster all the way around the board UI and web browsing.

however, im running:
system version 2.3.20.A955
android version 2.2
baseband version BP_C_01.09.07P

and it seems that all the custom ROM's i have been looking to install on my D2 you need a certain version gingerbread or froyo. can someone please explain to me what these are, because i personally thought they where also custom ROMs? also i plan on downloading droid 2 recovery bootstrap from the marked (seems this is the easy way to go) however, i would like to know if this app dumps the cache before it installs the new custom ROM and if so will it dump the dalvik cache as well?

if there is already a thread for this please post it for me as i have searched and searched and i still seem lost. also, any advice from you guys will be greatly appreciated. i just hope my device isn't too outdated to jump in the game, im having lots of fun with my D2 now and i enjoy reading all of the GREAT posts on this site.