Droid 2 Global Screen Goes to Sleep While I'm using it

cjl8on

Reaction score
HELP! I just got a new DRIOD 2 Global a few weeks ago. I noticed the first day while I was playing with it and setting things up that the screen kept going to sleep while I was doing stuff. At times the screen would even keep going blank mere seconds after I hit the power button to wake it up and unlock it - and it would do this over and over 5 or 6 times before it would stay on. I think I ended up powering it off and back on and it seemed to do better although it would still go to sleep randomly at times while I was using it.

A couple days ago I had another episode where the screen would go to sleep repeatedly over and over, and again I had to power it off to get it back to a state where I could use it.

I have since uninstalled No Lock since I have read that can cause these kinds of problems, but I know I did not have that installed when I had this problem initially on the first day, and I have continued to have random problems with the screen going to sleep while I am actively doing stuff on it.

I changed my screen timeout setting to 30 minutes, but that didn't make a difference either.

Anyone ever heard of this? Did I get a lemon, should I send this phone back or is there something I can do to fix this?

Thanks for any help on this!

CJ

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Go to your display settings and disable pocket detection if it is enabled. It has been known to cause this type of problem.

tappin and a talkin

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
hi
as Spaz mentioned turn off pocket detection. also check ur back lightning again. I haven't noticed any probs with mine. good luck

Aloha from Hawaii

MacLyndy

Reaction score
Droid 2 Global - Screen goes to sleep repeatedly

I have had the same problem, right out of the box, with my D2G - before I put any apps on it. Problem continues, but seems sporadic. Seems to be a bit worse at night, but can happen during the day too. Screen Timeout has been set to 2 minutes (did not help). I have tried disabling the In Pocket Detection... will keep my fingers crossed.

OP
C

cjl8on

Reaction score
I haven't had the problem since I disable pocket detection a week ago. I'm gonna say that fixed it. Thanks spaz!! :)

Quick follow up question - what am I missing out on by not being able to use pocket detection? What does that even do? Thanks again!!

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Pocket detection uses the light sensor to try and guess if you put the phone in your pocket with the screen on so that it can turn it off to save battery. As you can see its not all that accurate.

tappin and a talkin

OP
C

cjl8on

Reaction score
Thanks again! Appreciate the help!

3dutch1999

Reaction score
Thank you!! I've been having the same problem. I just turned off the pocket detection option. I'm very hopeful that this will fix it! I thought I had a lemon.

I love this website! It has helped me so many times! :)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I also want to mention that there is an app that will prevent your Droid from going to sleep while you're using it called Screebl. It detects what orientation the phone is in and determines if it is laying flat or if you are holding it. You can said up the parameters yourself for your own personal needs. It's really a must have app.