Droid 2 Global on AT&T gsm

litigator201

Reaction score
Has anyone figured out how to use the D2G on AT&T U.S. GSM Network and how is it done?

r314bd

Reaction score
Has anyone figured out how to use the D2G on AT&T U.S. GSM Network and how is it done?
Not yet, but hopefully soon. Here are a few other threads regarding the problem from various forums:

Why doesn't the Droid 2 Global work on AT&T?
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...d-2-global-unlock-foreign-sim.html#post990830
[Q] Can't get droid 2 global to register on at&ts network - xda-developers
Motorola DROID 2 Global Release Thread

EDIT: Verizon has locked the 850/1900 GSM/UMTS bands, even though the device has the hardware to support those bands. Hopefully it is just a software lock so it can be hacked...but as of right now you won't be able to use the device on AT&T or T-Mobile.

EDIT 2: Further proof the 850/1900 bands are locked: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/57058/p/30%2C6720%2C7706

"GSM-based global services work only with a SIM card supplied by Verizon Wireless® or by another GSM 900 or GSM 1800 service provider. When you set your phone to use a GSM 900 or GSM 1800 network you may be prompted to enter a subsidy code. To get this code, contact Verizon Wireless."

Last edited:

r314bd

Reaction score
Looks like this will require a radio firmware reflash to unrestrict the 850/1900 GSM/UMTS bands in the USA according to firebrain at xdadevelopers.

It has been done for WinMo phones so hopefully someone will be able to develop an Android solution as well.

Last edited:

en28so

Reaction score
Well this sucks. While my iphone 3gs is so limited, I can still use it with no problems in central america.

r314bd

Reaction score
Well it appears at least one person has successfully connected the Droid Pro to AT&T and T-Mobile, although he hasn't revealed how he did it. He got 3G to work on AT&T, but could only get EDGE on T-Mobile. Apparently it is "very very risky" according to the guy who posted the pics. Check it out here: Motorola DROID Pro XT610 Release Thread - Keep all phone discussion here

1290015531761.jpg

2010-11-14_14-20-12_100.jpg

Well this sucks. While my iphone 3gs is so limited, I can still use it with no problems in central america.
You'll still be able to use the D2G in Central America. I thought the 850/1900 bands were restricted everywhere, but it looks like only the US GSM carriers are restricted. I was mistaken about that, sorry.

nebneb333

Reaction score
So has anyone have any new info on the fix for the global d2 on at&t because I want one but am currently stuck with at&t and would love the physical keyboard plus the great CPU of course... I kinda like my captivate but want a Droid!

ozzyschoonover

Reaction score
Poking at an old thread

This is an F.Y.I. from someone who has spent days researching the subject. First thing first, yes it is possible. Second, it has been done. Thanks to CellZealot & the rest of Team Black Hat for making it possible. They are my heros and they rock! Back to the FYI, the problem resides with the firmware of the radio module itself. TBH came up with a .zip file to update it. I will link to the page but I HIGHLY recommend you don't just download the zip file and try to flash it. I would recommend you reading the thread and thanking CellZealot and TBH for their hard work as figuring something like this out and making a zip file for the rest of us was not at all easy.
HTML:
http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/android-hacks/8942-tbh-us-gsm-band-unlock-droid-2-global-pro-update-zip-public-release.html

silver6054

Reaction score
The major drawback (now that it is free the $100 charge is no longer a drawback) is that the phone has to be on the original firmware, so no gingerbread and not even the dec 2010 update.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

ozzyschoonover

Reaction score
Yes, but imo it is a small price to pay to have access to both networks. I only hope that when they get it figured out for gingerbread, they don't charge again.

jenniferhsrn

Reaction score
I need help with flashing radio

I followed the link, but had to register and haven't gotten an email so I can see the links. I found another link that showed the process with froyo but the links there were invalid for the files used (SBF and D2 Bootstrapper).

I got an unlocked Motorola Pro Droid this week from China. It was supposed to run on ATT and then I find out no. I did accept the upgrade so now I got to go back to be able to unlock the radio, which I am okay with. I would rather not return the phone.

Does anyone have the files needed to unlock the radio?

This is an F.Y.I. from someone who has spent days researching the subject. First thing first, yes it is possible. Second, it has been done. Thanks to CellZealot & the rest of Team Black Hat for making it possible. They are my heros and they rock! Back to the FYI, the problem resides with the firmware of the radio module itself. TBH came up with a .zip file to update it. I will link to the page but I HIGHLY recommend you don't just download the zip file and try to flash it. I would recommend you reading the thread and thanking CellZealot and TBH for their hard work as figuring something like this out and making a zip file for the rest of us was not at all easy.
HTML:
http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/android-hacks/8942-tbh-us-gsm-band-unlock-droid-2-global-pro-update-zip-public-release.html

silver6054

Reaction score
I followed the link, but had to register and haven't gotten an email so I can see the links. I found another link that showed the process with froyo but the links there were invalid for the files used (SBF and D2 Bootstrapper).

I got an unlocked Motorola Pro Droid this week from China. It was supposed to run on ATT and then I find out no. I did accept the upgrade so now I got to go back to be able to unlock the radio, which I am okay with. I would rather not return the phone.

Does anyone have the files needed to unlock the radio?

Edit: see you have a droid pro, so this link won't help, sorry

==========================

Look at this much more recent thread, for the latest release (.629).

Instruction + Files on How to Un-bricked, rooted and Band unlock Droid 2 Global with 629 ROM - Droid 2 / R2D2 / Milestone 2 / Droid 2 Global - RootzWiki

Last edited: