www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Droid 2 gets cornered at a Verizon booth for pictures and a hands-on

Sean Riley on Jun 18 at 12:34 pm5 comments

droid-2-homescreen-keyboard-open.jpg

We are at T minus 5 days and counting until Motorola, Verizon, Google and Adobe all hop up on stage in New York and show us the “next generation of Droid,” but until then we’ll just have to make do with the dozens of leaks we already have for the Droid 2 and Droid X including the latest from our friendly neighborhood NASA intern.

Gizmodo commenter “Zack,” caught up with the Droid 2 at a Verizon booth that was part of a tech show at the Jet Propulsion Lab at NASA. He didn’t have any new spec revelations to speak of, however, he snapped a few new photos and offered up his impressions of the device.

As a current Droid owner he reported that the new wider keyboard is far easier to type on than the original and a minor detail that he really loved was the addition of a voice command key. A positive review of the new keyboard should come as a relief to the QWERTY fans out there as this is going to be one of the most powerful QWERTY phones available when it does finally launch later this summer.

As you will see in the photos below this phone was running “Android 2.1-update 1″ and the same “Ninjablur” skin that was seen in the recent Droid X hands-on. The Verizon representative indicated that it would probably be coming without the skin and with Android 2.2, but that if it did launch with Android 2.1 the update to 2.2 would come very quickly. Those things could all be true, but my faith in a booth representative having that level of knowledge about a product — particularly when she said she didn’t know the name of the device — is limited at best.

Everything else remains as we have seen in previous reports; 5 mp camera, 8 GB internal storage, 8 GB SD micro-SD card included, and a 1 GHz processor.

I certainly feel like we have seen every square inch of the Droid 2 and the Droid X so what, if any, surprises do you think Verizon and Co. have up their sleeves for Wednesday?

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
i hope it's released with 2.2 instead of ninja 2.1, but why am i thinking we'll see 2.1 on this puppy at launch?