Droid 2 does not have simultaneous touch points?

TehAce

Reaction score
I can't seem to press 2 touch points at the same time on my Droid 2. I've tested it on a multi touch app and it doesn't seem to register the 2nd touch point unless you are dragging it, IE Pinch Zoom.

Are there any fixes to this?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Droid 2 definitely has multitouch capability, however not all apps designed to show those individual touch points will work properly. If it didn't at least have the ability to distinguish 2 separate touch points, there would be no way to pinch to zoom. The Droid RAZR has 10 point multitouch but earlier technologies had less, initially only distinguishing 2 points, some have 4, others 5, etc.

As for "fixes", the only thing you need to do is find the right app that recognizes the multitouch properly.

OP
T

TehAce

Reaction score
Droid 2 definitely has multitouch capability, however not all apps designed to show those individual touch points will work properly. If it didn't at least have the ability to distinguish 2 separate touch points, there would be no way to pinch to zoom. The Droid RAZR has 10 point multitouch but earlier technologies had less, initially only distinguishing 2 points, some have 4, others 5, etc.

As for "fixes", the only thing you need to do is find the right app that recognizes the multitouch properly.

I realize the Droid 2 has Multi Touch technology. I think you're misunderstanding what I'am talking about. My phone can register 2 touches at the same time and Pinch Zoom works, it's just when I'am tapping my screen with 2 fingers simultaneously is when it doesn't seem to work. For example I'am holding down my left finger and my right finger on the screen, both fingers are stationary but only one finger will register.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I realize the Droid 2 has Multi Touch technology. I think you're misunderstanding what I'am talking about. My phone can register 2 touches at the same time and Pinch Zoom works, it's just when I'am tapping my screen with 2 fingers simultaneously is when it doesn't seem to work. For example I'am holding down my left finger and my right finger on the screen, both fingers are stationary but only one finger will register.

OK, I did understand what you meant and also realized that you knew the phone has multitouch as you mentioned pinch to zoom. However I don't think you understand me. Multitouch has been an advancing technology and as such has come in various flavors over the past many years. The earliest multitouch technology was either resistive (two thin layers of electrically charged clear plastic) or light interference technology (a light source at one side and top, and detectors at the opposite side and bottom), and only recognized one touch point. Any additional touches rendered it completely confused.

Later, capacitive touch technology came along but the earliest of that technology only recognized one point as well. Then the next iteration recognized the initial touch point and then the "difference" the second touch point created, so when you press with one finger, it was able to actively identify the position of that point independently, however when you touch with two, the first finger to register was like an "anchor" position, and then the second finger became the "active" touch point. If you moved either finger, it would then become the "active" touch point, so if you moved your first finger after placing your second finger down, it would trace the position of the first finger. If you moved both at the same time, whether in the same direction or different directions it would be alternating the anchor and the active touch point, so that it could essentially simulate two independent touch points. It wasn't perfect as I don't believe you can draw for instance on a paint program with two separate fingers and make two completely different images at the same time. However, as technology improved the method for recognizing separate touch points, and more touch points, and now even to recognize either distance from the screen, pressure or both.

The Droid A855 and Droid 2 A955 (and possibly the Droid Global and Droid Pro) are what I believe to be 2 touch point digitizers. I will confirm on the A855, A955 and Droid Pro when I get home. I also believe these were the difference type where anchor and active touch points are viewed alternatively. Perhaps the transition was with the Droid 3, but for sure the Droid 4 which has essentially the same digitizer as the Droid RAZR and RAZR MAXX - both of which are 10 point independent capacitive multitouch. The technology has advanced now to the point where all 10 touch points can be doing different things at the same time and the computer can "see" all 10 at once. The latest uses varying capacitance or resistance to create sensitivity to even being near the screen (Samsung Note 2 for instance), or varying pressure such that it would for instance make a thin line with light pressure but a thicker line with heavier pressure.

Believe me, that's not all the iterations, but those are the most common.