Droid 2 Coming August 23rd?

J

JohnDroid

droid-2-ship-date.jpg

Engadget is claiming that they have word that the Droid 2 will be available August 23rd... and guess what, it's supposed to have Android 2.2 out of the box. The goal for those dates is to make sure that the Droid 2 will be the first OEM phone to ship with Android 2.2 out of the box.

So now the real question is.... which phone are you going to be getting, the Droid X or the Droid 2?

Source: Engadget

huskur

Reaction score
likely still the "X" for me. Would love to have the larger screen. Besides, 2.2 will come to the "X" one way or another.

phatkat66

Reaction score
X for me also, mainly because i already have the Droid1 and I plan on switching back and forth between them (whenever a new OTA for the specific device hits ill jus switch my "phone" back n forth). I think the D2 is more for people that aren't on android at all yet and is looking for something familiar to start with.

mac0822

Reaction score
X for me also, mainly because i already have the Droid1 and I plan on switching back and forth between them (whenever a new OTA for the specific device hits ill jus switch my "phone" back n forth). I think the D2 is more for people that aren't on android at all yet and is looking for something familiar to start with.

Yup, the D2 will be my first smartphone. I was going to get a D1 until I tried the keyboard and wow it sucks. I can upgrade anytime, but I'm waiting for this one.

BzB

Reaction score
the droid 2 may end up having a more refined experience and being a better overall phone considering it's a second gen device. plus the droid 2 will run plain android and have the same processing power of the droid x, but without the blur-like interface. the x is also starting to have some lackluster info coming out on it in terms of ui lag, camera issues, and hdmi restrictions.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
It is the X for me. The reason I am going that route is for the bigger screen and no keyboard. Pointless for me to even think about the D2.

And I still wonder if this is gonna be a refresh of the current Droid or if they will sell side by side.

slacker0503

Reaction score
It is the X for me. The reason I am going that route is for the bigger screen and no keyboard. Pointless for me to even think about the D2.

And I still wonder if this is gonna be a refresh of the current Droid or if they will sell side by side.

Verizon never keeps first gens. Mabye they'll keep it at the beginning but it'll be discontinued pretty quickly

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Bxrider117

Reaction score
I am going with niether. The Droid X is alluring and the D2 looks cool, but if they drop Froyo for the D1 around the release of the DX or D2 I'll stick with what I have and wait for the end of the year.

It is exciting to see Verizon stepping up their phone game to release 3 new top android phones before end of Q3.

bronx finest

Reaction score
Why do you need them to "drop Froyo" for the D1?

It's already out there, just root & run a custom rom. All the benefits of froyo, and no wait.

Bxrider117

Reaction score
Why do you need them to "drop Froyo" for the D1?

It's already out there, just root & run a custom rom. All the benefits of froyo, and no wait.[/QUOTE

No doubt, BX Finest.

I'm running Froyo now.

I guess I'm waiting for all apps to be updated to run on Froyo. When it is officially released by Verizon then i would expect the app developers to make the necessary adjustments.

bjet767

Reaction score
So far I find nothing compelling me to "upgrade from my droid to the new x or 2. I am running the latest Froyo clocked at 800 and things work great! There just aren't enough changes and upgrades to make it worth the $200.00.

I suspect coming the holiday season there will be a couple of new phones and possible pads that might make me get something new, but until then if you have a Droid there just isn't enough to make a change worth the cash.

Reaction score
This launch date will be JUST in time for VZW's promotion to allow customers without smartphones to upgrade even if their eligibility isnt until later this year.

jared.holloway

Reaction score
i for one will be enthusiastically choosing the droid 2 over the x.... there is no substitute for an external keyboard ... for me the processor speed & camera makes the difference,... if droid 2 has 8 mp & snapdragon then its a no brainer... plus hdmi... mm mmm good. im a loyaly moto droider... however the thought of switching back and forth between the x & droid 1 is definately entertaining me now that somebody has mentioned it... my first smartphone was a bberry storm, which didnt live up to its hype AT ALL... i bought it the first day it came out... then the droid came out... so, naturally had to hop in it the first day it dropped (nov. 21st i believe)... and every day since the phone has blown my mind... with all kinds of goodies... besides... im going to have to get a new droid when we launch our 4G network anyways... may as well get the larger screened phone @ that time..

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Still the X for me, Hate the useless keyboard (to me at least).