Droid 2 and Android 4.0 OS

casi_droid

Reaction score
I noticed Android is coming out with a new 4.0 OS and I was thinking about downloading it in January. Anyone know if there are any compatibility issues? I like how it looks and wouldn't mind downloading it, but if there are a lot of glitches going from 2.3.3 to 4.0, I rather not. Who has taken the big step already?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not sure the D2 will get ICS 4.0, and if it does it will be a community hack - definitely not as easy as downloading it and installing, newer device owners such as the Bionic and Razr will be lucky if they see some ICS goodness in January

kptphalkon

Reaction score
I doubt ICS will be released as an OTA for older phones, especially devices which are have reached their "End-Of-Life". But sure enough there will be plenty of ROMs for it. And at that, I wouldn't rush to grab a 4.0 rom immediately. If a manufacturer update does come thru, you can bet it will be long after january.

As an example, Gingerbread was released by Google in december/november of last year, yet the Droid 2 did not get the update until june/july.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The D2 probably won't see ICS at all, at least until a custom ROM is based on it.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The D2 probably won't see ICS at all, at least until a custom ROM is based on it.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Sadly with our locked bootloaders we won't see it with a good kernel...
But when cm9 comes out... This will be awesome

We have nothing to fear but running out of beer

Khiraji

Reaction score
As others have said, don't get your hopes up about the D2 seeing any Android 4.0. It has to filter through Motorola and VZW, which takes forever and a day, and the D2 probably wouldn't even run it in a satisfying manner.

You're probably better off getting the Droid 4G (or whatever next year's model ends up being called).

lpulle

Reaction score
As for rev'ing the 2 and X with Ice Cream, the rev's will be too busy on the new phones to bother with us. Looks as though our new Rom's are over

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Insidious

Reaction score
Bikedude on rootzwiki has an alpha release for cm9 for the D2G, and I think the D2 has an alpha release as well.

Sent from my Cellular telecommunications device, manufactured by Motorola.