Droid 1 vs Droid 2 how much improvement?

sjgieson

Reaction score
OK, here is the deal.

I have a OG Droid with Chevyno1 and love the custom rom, actually I am pretty happy with the phone. As more and more applications get updated, it seems like they take more memory/cpu than before and my OG Droids Ram is just can't quite keep up anymore.

My love for the number of Devs working on OG Droid has made me somewhat blind to its short-comings, but my wife has not been blinded (even though she is on similar config).

I am not interested in buying a brand new phone (could via contract), without the ability to root and put a custom ROM on it. As all I really need is some more RAM and maybe a bit more 000mph (although already clocked my OG Droids @ 1ghz).

My question is how much of an upgrade would be going from a Droid 1 to 2 assuming I root and put on one of the respected GB ROMs. Is the dev community so strong for Droid1 that Droid2 ROMs are slower on faster hardware making the switch moot?

The reason I ask is I can get a D2 on ebay pretty cheap these days.

jefbystereo

Reaction score
I have a D1 running the new project elite GB rom and a 1.05 kernel. My wife has a stock D2G. I dont use her phone at all, but whenever she uses mine she always exclaims how slow it is.

So at least according to her use the D2 is considerably faster than a 1ghz D1.

Maybe one of these days I can do a side by side test opening apps and such

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
I haven't played with the D2 to much but i did hear its much faster as well running stock when compared to the D1. It has double the ram to start with...

louy99

Reaction score
I've had both and I prefer the D2. Just make sure you don't get a global. That phone has more problems

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I've had both and I prefer the OG. The droid 2 just seemed to have issues with stock and roms. I also prefer AOSP, which wasn't possible when I had my Droid 2, and only is now with an old moto kernel through 2nd init.

patfactorx

Reaction score
I still love my OG cuz I lovvvee UD rom. D2G is stll faster tho with better keyboard

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

LT*

Reaction score
I had an OG, wife had a D2. Even clocked the same, there was never any comparison in speed and responsiveness. The D2 would win every time. i would say go to the D2.

OP
S

sjgieson

Reaction score
Well, as fate would have it, my D1 died Sunday. D2 is on it's way....for me to get back into a contract I think it would take a D3 with LTE....so I will hopefully be happy with the D2 until the D4 comes along.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
CM7 really wakes up the DX/2. I probably would have gotten an X if I were you, just because development is stronger. Everything is made for the X and ported to the D2.

CM74DX

OP
S

sjgieson

Reaction score
Really, didn't realize that, well that makes more sense.

Well the wife has a hard fast keyboard req, so maybe I will get the DX for myself and give her the D2.

The only issue is, I hear the DX batt life is horrible due to larger screen.

patfactorx

Reaction score
DX has the best batt life of popular phones according to Anandtech

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Then the other phones must suck tremendously. My phone got terrible battery life stock.

Apex 2.0 RC2

Byakushiki

Reaction score
Really? I haven't seen a single problem on my D2G on blur. Battery life was fine, no reboots, unrooted even. GSM worked great for me, but your mileage may vary with other D2Gs. Some are outright just bad, others are perfect.

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
Really? I haven't seen a single problem on my D2G on blur. Battery life was fine, no reboots, unrooted even. GSM worked great for me, but your mileage may vary with other D2Gs. Some are outright just bad, others are perfect.

I agree. My d2g is running pretty strong in stock form(still waiting on gb tho lol). The 1.2ghz processor in the d2g will of course use more battery than the d2, but I don't mind it since I get the extra power.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums