Droid 1 got wet- searched Forums for answer

Napoleon85

Reaction score
In a pinch I think bread may also help absorb the moisture without the worries of dust or scratching but it won't be nearly as effective.

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Any desiccant will work. A desiccant is a hygroscopic substance that induces or sustains a state of dryness (desiccation) in its local vicinity in a moderately well-sealed container. Here is a list of common desiccants:
Desiccant Types - SorbentSystems.com

The problem with most desiccants is they do have the tendency to be abrasive, like FBM said. That is why they are always in a packet when you buy electronics, shoes, etc. They work great, but scratching your device is always an issue.

I have never had the guts to drop a phone in isoporpyl (rubbing alcohol), but I have heard it works. Id give it a day or two to dry out, and try to flash the .sbf. If you have insurance, you will get hit with the $90 deductible, (and possibly get a droid 2 as a replacement), but it's better than buying a new phone outright.

On a side note, my kids never soaked my phones (luckily) but Ive made a few entries in the toilet bowl Olympics with a few of my phones in the past.

Best of luck!

OP
Candace

Candace

Reaction score
ok thanks. I am forcing myself to let it air out for 2 days. does Verizon have a way to check texts and voicemails from google/web?

Napoleon85

Reaction score
ok thanks. I am forcing myself to let it air out for 2 days. does Verizon have a way to check texts and voicemails from google/web?

I think you're SOL on the texts unless you are using Google voice. To get to your voicemail simply call your phone number and hit the pound key to get the password prompt.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
thank you! I am letting all parts sit out and dry separately tonight. How do I do RSD Lite? is this something Verizon can walk me through? I'm not sure which forum to look for further info regarding RSD Lite. thanks.

Hi Candace, I see alot of people have pointed you in the right direction, but I just wanted to mention something - in NO circumstance should you try and get support from VZW for RSD Lite, as a matter of fact, do not even mention to them that you have the RSD Lite program. It is NOT meant for the general public to have, and in VZW's eyes would be a great big no-no. I have a feeling that simply mentioning to them that you are trying to use it to load an SBF file would cause them to make a notation on your account that could cause you warranty issues in the future.

OP
Candace

Candace

Reaction score
THANK YOU! Definitely good to know. I haven't involved VZW yet- I'm praying that lady luck is on my side after it dries out....If I am successful w/ this- I will definitely update everyone. If not, I promise not to come back on here and whine. I will bite the bullett and go get another phone....as a last resort of course.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Yes. When it comes to dealing with VZW the general rule of thumb is "it broke and I can't fix it" is the best line to give them. Just don't attempt insurance fraud as that's illegal. :)

Just volunteer as little information as possible whenever you can.

OP
Candace

Candace

Reaction score
I wouldn't dream of it. Plus I didn't get the insurance plan. (dumb move I know). So that's why I'm willing to be somewhat of a maverick!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
If yovu'e had the phone less than 90 days you can get a Square Trade insurance policy for $200, then another $50 co-pay if you break the phone...

Or you could get a used one on eBay for about $200.

OP
Candace

Candace

Reaction score
I got my phone in January so I'm SOL unfortunately...thanks for all of the good ideas!

OP
Candace

Candace

Reaction score
Here is my update-

I GOT LUCKY! After forcing myself to be patient- I let all of the pieces dry out (2) nights. I decided not to do anything special- no rice, no kitty litter (which someone recommended, and another didn't recommend), or those little bags that you get in your purses/shoes/clothing etc....I just let it dry the old-fashioned way- just air dry.

When I re-assembled it this morning- I decided what the heck. let me see if it turns on before I try to do the RSD Lite. And it worked! All Apps are there- files, pics, Launcher Pro, widgets etc. (you get the picture). But thank you to everyone who contributed. have a great day!

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Wow that's so awesome. I thought for sure you fried it!