Driving me crazy. Why no perfect phones?

WestOkid

Reaction score
I may be just ranting but WTF!!!!

I have OG Razr and need to upgrade my phone and I can't believe the stress its causing me. Do manufacturers sign a pact that says "We will never give the consumer what they want"? I don't get it. Here are my choices:

Motorola Maxx HD - Pros - Great build Quality, great radio, good looks, long battery life Cons -terrible camera (I have seen real pictures, they suck), horrible ergonomics, boatloads of bloatware, Expensive.
Galaxy S III - Pros - Great features, great camera, great Eco-system (Google+Samsung),great ergonomics Cons - questionable battery life, build quality is great if you have experience handling eggs, poor radio, touchwiz super skin.
Nexus 4 - Pros - pure android, good build quality, decent camera, quad core, inexpensive. Cons - No LTE?????, below avg battery life, no support for best Network so who cares about the radios.
Note 2 - I'm sorry, but this is not a phone unless you are a basketball player. I am sure it works for some, the sales numbers prove this. That said, this is still a niche product, for every 1 person that loves it, there are 50 that find it amusing.

Can someone explain why I am forced to compromise when there are no technological hurdles prohibiting them from making a phone that satisfies all our needs? Would it be so hard for Moto to use a BSI CMOS sensor that is ubiquitous among flagships? Would it be so hard for Samsung to use premium material in their premier product like everyone else does? And must they supplement great android features with mediocre touchwiz features? S-voice? are you kidding? And Google? It's 2012, no LTE, no Verizon? $%# $&$ &&% ^ && ^%& $%& &^%$ ^%$!!!!!

I am seriously considering going to the Dark side
images

geoff5093

Reaction score
I completely agree, it seems that every phone lacks something major. Here's hoping the HTC DNA fills in the gap!

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
The problem is, there is no way to build a product that will please everyone, and if there was; it would be huge, bulky, and very expensive.

djspy

Reaction score
Business wise it doesn't make sense. After all they are in it to make money. They always have to leave something for the next one so they can continue to push out new devices. Now compare that to what Apple does and it's not as bad as you make it out. Apple doesn't leave out a little they leave out a lot. They have basically stretched out the life of one Android phone to about 3 "different" devices

OP
WestOkid

WestOkid

Reaction score
The problem is, there is no way to build a product that will please everyone, and if there was; it would be huge, bulky, and very expensive.

I don't buy that. My title was hyperbole. I don't really expect perfection, just a good around phone. Even if it costs a lot. I gave reasonable expectations/solutions on each phone. None of which would add much to cost. How do I know? Because Apple has better materials across the board and charges the same amount as android. This is about speed to market versus quality to market.
Example, the maxx Hd, HD, M, atrix HD. If Moto makes the HD and adds a kicka$$ Camera and 32gb, it would be flawless and still have best in the class battery. Instead they make 4 phones.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't buy that. My title was hyperbole. I don't really expect perfection, just a good around phone. Even if it costs a lot. I gave reasonable expectations/solutions on each phone. None of which would add much to cost. How do I know? Because Apple has better materials across the board and charges the same amount as android. This is about speed to market versus quality to market.
Example, the maxx Hd, HD, M, atrix HD. If Moto makes the HD and adds a kicka$$ Camera and 32gb, it would be flawless and still have best in the class battery. Instead they make 4 phones.

Well fine, don't "buy that" - but what works for me isn't what necessarily works for you. For one thing, my "perfect" device would have a removeable battery. Since none of the new devices do, to me, they ALL suck.

pblakk

Reaction score
MAXX HD expensive? Compared to what? All recent Android phones that have 32GB of internal storage are set at the subsidized $299 price point. That's the expected usual price now for 32GB.

Iphone 5? So you'd settle for that 4" screen?? Dare yourself and try it out for a couple weeks then, see for yourself.

If not then get the Note 2. :p

OP
WestOkid

WestOkid

Reaction score
Ok. I may not be able to take a 4" screen. lol.

rkersh409

Reaction score
Heck I'd like to remove my microSD card without a special tool! ;)

droidshot®

Reaction score
Well I'm getting the Note 2 as soon as it hits Verizon and I own a tree cutting/land clearing business. For me it's about the camera and I use a notepad a lot. But I've never played basketball. Hehe

dan.dar

Reaction score
Motorola Maxx HD - Pros - Great build Quality, great radio, good looks, long battery life Cons -terrible camera (I have seen real pictures, they suck), horrible ergonomics, boatloads of bloatware, Expensive.

I'll just cover your cons:
1) I still don't get what people expect from this camera. It may be worse than the S3 or the iphone but it's definitely not terrible.
2) What do you mean by horrible ergonomics? It has on screen buttons, power on the side that is easy to find and easy to press. Compare that to S3 which has a physical home button to clearly cater to iphone owners not Android enthusiasts which clearly most people on this site are.
3) Both phones come with bloatware. It's dead simple to disable which makes it disappear from the app drawer and stops it from running in the background.
4) You can get the Maxx HD on Amazon or Wirefly for $199. The non-Maxx version which has similar specs to S3 (dual core 1.5ghz cpu, 16GB ram, less ram but larger battery) costs the same $149. Apple charges $100 for 16GB of storage space alone, with Motorola you get 16GB of space and a larger battery for $50 extra. Tell me again, how is it expensive?

Really, the only thing you can knock the Maxx HD for is the camera which coincidentally is not any worse than the one found in the OG Maxx. Sure there is no perfect phone, but if you ask me, from what is currently available out there, the Maxx HD comes the closest.

geoff5093

Reaction score
I'll just cover your cons:
1) I still don't get what people expect from this camera. It may be worse than the S3 or the iphone but it's definitely not terrible.
2) What do you mean by horrible ergonomics? It has on screen buttons, power on the side that is easy to find and easy to press. Compare that to S3 which has a physical home button to clearly cater to iphone owners not Android enthusiasts which clearly most people on this site are.
3) Both phones come with bloatware. It's dead simple to disable which makes it disappear from the app drawer and stops it from running in the background.
4) You can get the Maxx HD on Amazon or Wirefly for $199. The non-Maxx version which has similar specs to S3 (dual core 1.5ghz cpu, 16GB ram, less ram but larger battery) costs the same $149. Apple charges $100 for 16GB of storage space alone, with Motorola you get 16GB of space and a larger battery for $50 extra. Tell me again, how is it expensive?

Really, the only thing you can knock the Maxx HD for is the camera which coincidentally is not any worse than the one found in the OG Maxx. Sure there is no perfect phone, but if you ask me, from what is currently available out there, the Maxx HD comes the closest.

Some people don't care about cameras, but I had the MAXX HD for 2 weeks and I can say it's horrible, truly horrible.

The buttons are fine, it's the shape and design of the phone that's horrible. The way I normally hold my phone, I couldn't use the top left of the screen as my thumb wouldn't reach (worked fine on the GS3), and the sharp edges made it uncomfortable to hold for more than a minute or two.

OP
WestOkid

WestOkid

Reaction score
I though my post was fairly objective. Wasn't trying to get into comparing phones because comparing phones is the reason for my frustration. Look at the automobile industry no car is perfect, but it is real easy to get a car that is above average in every significant category if you are willing to pay for it. This holds true for most goods accept phones. No matter what you pay, you compromise. Why are people cool with that? Moto using cheapo camera hardware in their flagship phone would be like Lexus putting a cheapo stereo system in their LS to keep cost down. :huh:

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Part of the problem is we are inherently nit-picky on these forums b/c we are enthusiasts - which is why we're here.

I'm probably the worst when it comes to being nit-picky, so I've had to finally learn what really matters to me vs. what I thought mattered to me, and settle based on that.

The Maxx HD is the perfect example (for me!). I loved everything about it, but the camera. This is a dead horse I've beaten in numerous other threads here and elsewhere, so I won't any more. I didn't think the camera was as big of a deal to me as it was, but it really was. I traded for an S3, let the "less important" things I liked about the Maxx HD roll off my back, and have been very satisfied and content.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Forums also blow up issues and "traditions" that may or may not even be true any more... one great example (which may or may not be true ;))

Moto radios are the best ever
Samsung radios completely suck

Talk amongst yourselves... :tongue: