Driving and texting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricks

Reaction score
[video=youtube;BSNVAA61MmM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSNVAA61MmM]YouTube - The car accident - using phone while you drive?[/video]

nooter99

Reaction score
Michigan's ban on texting while driving went into affect at 12:01 this morning. It's a primary offense, meaning they don't need any other reason to pull you over and ticket you, $100 first offense, $200 for second. I could not be happier!!! Unfortunately, I think it will be a long time before they ban phone calls. Can't come soon enough!

dolpns13

Reaction score
oh yeah!!! I saw this when it first came out months ago. It persuaded me to stop texting while driving! its so disturbing

J

Johnly

Hate texting and driving! If you do this, stop, it is stupid, and looks stupid too! Good darn post...best of the day!

edited word.

Last edited by a moderator:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Michigan's ban on texting while driving went into affect at 12:01 this morning. It's a primary offense, meaning they don't need any other reason to pull you over and ticket you, $100 first offense, $200 for second. I could not be happier!!! Unfortunately, I think it will be a long time before they ban phone calls. Can't come soon enough!

While I strongly agree that texting while driving is about as stupid as you can get, I see nothing wrong with driving and talking on the phone if you are on a hands free device.

What do you want to do next? Make it illegal to have a conversation with a person sitting with you in the car? I think that's more dangerous then talking on the phone. How often do you turn your head to talk to someone? Don't play the radio?

Somethings people just take too far.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

While I strongly agree that texting while driving is about as stupid as you can get, I see nothing wrong with driving and talking on the phone if you are on a hands free device.

What do you want to do next? Make it illegal to have a conversation with a person sitting with you in the car? I think that's more dangerous then talking on the phone. How often do you turn your head to talk to someone? Don't play the radio?

Somethings people just take too far.

Unfortunately, Hook, there is a mountain of research that indicates a hands free phone is no safer than carrying on a conversation with a phone in the hand. And each is far more dangerous than talking to someone else in your car.

The reason for this counter-intuitive result appears to be that when you are talking to someone else in your car that person is experiencing the same environment you are. The conversation pauses naturally as each participant observes the traffic conditions and adjusts almost subconsciously to those stimuli.

When you are speaking to someone over a phone, whether held or hands-free, the other person does not adjust to those conditions and encourages you to ignore them as well while you try to put your mind into the conversation.

There are, of course, other ways to distract yourself while driving. Turning to speak to someone in your car is obviously dangerous; dancing to the music on the radio is not advised; and texting is ridiculously risky. But no one should fool themselves into believing that a hands free phone is less dangerous than holding a phone and driving. It isn't.

Last edited:

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
There's nothing funny about anything eliassami5 - bravo for Michigan passing the law like California already has. Unfortunately PA does not yet have a texting law on the books. This is a very disturbing, but very worthwhile video to watch because after watching it, you'll have a constant reminder if you ever do decide to text and drive.

Last year a 19 year old girl was texting and driving, went through a 4 way stop and broadsided a fellow motorcycle rider and his wife who was riding on the back. It killed his wife and the 19 year old girl's life is ruined - manslaughter charges. This was such a senseless thing, wife dead and 19 yr. old in jail. I am also an avid motorcycle rider and constantly dodging weaving cars. I have much less of a chance to live on my bike than I do in my Jeep.

Although the video is very graphic, I appreciate the fact that you posted it ricks.

J

Johnly

There's nothing funny about anything eliassami5 - bravo for Michigan passing the law like California already has. Unfortunately PA does not yet have a texting law on the books. This is a very disturbing, but very worthwhile video to watch because after watching it, you'll have a constant reminder if you ever do decide to text and drive.

Last year a 19 year old girl was texting and driving, went through a 4 way stop and broadsided a fellow motorcycle rider and his wife who was riding on the back. It killed his wife and the 19 year old girl's life is ruined - manslaughter charges. This was such a senseless thing, wife dead and 19 yr. old in jail. I am also an avid motorcycle rider and constantly dodging weaving cars. I have much less of a chance to live on my bike than I do in my Jeep.

Although the video is very graphic, I appreciate the fact that you posted it ricks.
100% and yes, that was a uninformed choice of words, but I think the gravity of the situation calls for it. Thanks for the edit:)

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

100% and yes, that was a uninformed choice of words, but I think the gravity of the situation calls for it. Thanks for the edit:)
No problem. That word is actually hurtful to a lot of people. I have a nephew with those issues.

nooter99

Reaction score
Ijsh1120, your research and explanation is dead on (no pun intended) there are also mountains of studies that show both fatal and non-fatal accidents have increased exponentially right in line with cell phone popularity over the last 15 years. The increased numbers of drivers and cars has been factored into these equations, so that fact is a not an issue when analyzing the data. I know of no study that has shown talking on a phone, hands free or not, has little or no impact on the frequency of automobile accidents. With the massive amount of data that is available on this subject, a person would have to be in complete denial to think that talking on cellphones does not dramatically increase the chances of you getting into an accident... or just plain stupid! There was not one single cellphone related accident nationwide for the first 15 years I drove, that oughta tell you something!

Last edited:

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can't agree with you guys more, I get absolutely infuriated when i see
Someone texting while driving. I just don't understand why people do it. So sad to hear stories about deaths from something so stupid as texting and driving.

Sent from my Tapatalk using Droid

J

Johnly

No problem. That word is actually hurtful to a lot of people. I have a nephew with those issues.
I am truly sorry. I think of those humans as special, and the word I used is reserved for *&^%$#'s. PS, we can learn allot form your nephew and those of his nature. God bless.

liguy257

Reaction score
They need laws for this, especially because of stupid ass teenagers who think the world can't hurt them. They're the worst offenders of stuff like. I lost track of how many times I had to swerve to avoid getting hit by some idiot trying to text while doing 75 miles an hour on a crowded highway, and every time I flip out on them (although the guy who almost hit me because he was reading a book wins).

But truthfully, I've been more distracted by my stereo or my i-pod than my phone. And I don't necessarily agree with the fact that talking a bluetooth set is more dangerous than talking in the car, especially in case where you have people in the front seat, the back seat, the radio's going. I've been way more distracted in those cases than talking on my hands-free.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
lol - germans fell for propaganda in the 1930's too.... "protect us big governement from ourselves, we are unable to do it on our own."

[mod delete - no politics]

Texting while driving and laws like this are why I have limo tint on my vehicle bwahahaha....

I think the biggest issue in that video wasn't texting, it was driving while being a teenager.

jsh1120 said:
Unfortunately, Hook, there is a mountain of research that indicates a hands free phone is no safer than carrying on a conversation with a phone in the hand. And each is far more dangerous than talking to someone else in your car.
there was also research that said windsheild wipers should be banned because they distracted drivers back in the early 1900's.....there was research that said the Jews were to blame for Germany's problems post WWI.... there was plenty of research that said smoking cigs isn't dangerous, there's plenty of research that says Global warming is real....

Research is not always right.

All this law is going to do is make people text with their phones down in their laps as opposed to up above the dash.... which is more dangerous.... I argue, looking down as opposed to having it in the line of sight of the road. but whatever, your nanny state doesn't affect me...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.