Drew Garen issue.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Liberty ROM replaces the boot animation so that's why it changed from the red droid x eye. Does it still have the liberty animation after performing another SBF? Because it should not, it should have returned to the eye. Did you do the full SBF or the system only?

And yes for liberty GB you definitely need to be on stock GB, not 2.2.1 or 2.1.

OP
U

u83rmensch

Reaction score
yeah after doing an RSD flash back to 2.2.1 the the white motorola M popped up.. and then the liberty boot animation played.. thought that was weird but it booted up fine with no issues.. right now im letting it charge in case i need to sbf it again but I'll reboot it and see if its still there.. other wise would you reccomend I upgrade to stock to stock gingerbread via sbf or just OTA? if so will z4root still work on gingerbread or do i need to find a new method in which to root my phone?

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Yeah not sure why it would be there. Did you have to go into stock recovery and do a factory reset and cache wipe after the SBF? Normally you have to to get out of the bootloop and this wipes up anything the SBF doesnt.

Z4 will not work on the most recent OTA. There is a new method out that does root it though, its the D3 one click method. Check it out HERE. I just used it last night after I used the .602 (newest GB) SBF and it worked like a charm. Was real easy too. Not saying you should use it but at least check it out so you know whats out there. Since you are already on a fresh 2.2.1 SBF you could always just use the 2-part prerooted from MyDroidWorld which you just flash from recovery and you would not need to SBF again. But you need to be on stock 2.2.1 to use them.

OP
U

u83rmensch

Reaction score
just installed the OTA 2.3.3 update. still has the liberty boot animation.. lol. it boots fine though.. so thats k. Im gonna try to root via the link you posted.. after i root it, do I still need to use droid 2 boot strapper?

Edit: just tried installing the liberty gingerbread I had downloaded.. it got to the liberty boot animation and now its just looping.. cant seem to get the clockwork recovery up so i guess I'll just keep flashing this thing till i get it right..

Last edited:

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Sorry for the long delay in response. I was sleeping peacefullly.

Make sure you check your PMs. I sent you a detailed set of instructions on how to accomplish what you are trying to do, I didnt want to fill up a whole big post here. It is what I would do if I was going to flash Liberty .9. I am not going to be around all day due to being at work. I may be able to randomly answer questions but no guarantee.

It also might not be a bad idea to double check the Liberty file. Maybe redownload it from your pc and move it to your phone.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Hey there. Just popping is to see how you made out. Let me know!

OP
U

u83rmensch

Reaction score
just pop'n in to let you know how every thing went. i appreciate your Pm but I went ahead and tried this first for the hell of it. I'll start off from the sbf with liberty boot issue.

I did a sbf flash to factory which left me with a liberty boot animation and all my apps and settings where retained some how.

addition sbf flashes did nothing, I booted into the default android recovery menu (power+home) and did a data/factory reset.. after doing this everything was back to normal and my phone exactly like it was out-of-box.

at this point I did nothing more then a OTA update to 2.3.3 gingerbread.

I used the "one-click-root" app you linked me to in a previous post (worked flawlessly and quickly)

I then installed droid2boot strapper, liberty tool box (donate), and clockwork recovery mod.

In liberty tool box (donate) I downloaded the Liberty gingerbread 9.0. this saves "a file" to /sdcard/liberty/nightlies/ as lgbdx09main

the liberty tool box app (or the server the file is located on) has it named incorrectly. the there is no .zip file extension on it. after you download it, it will ask if you want to install it.. say not right now or "add to queue" and just close it out. use the a file manager or just plug it to your pc and rename it to have a .zip extension. (if you're on win 7 or vista you may need to go into control panel > folder optoins > view(tab) > and choose "show file extensions". add the .zip to the end of the name.

disconnect from your pc (or close your file manager app) and make sure you sd is mounted (your phone should do this on its own).

open up your clockwork recovery mod app and make sure you install the clockwork recovery boot menu for your specific phone. tell it to reboot into recovery.

once in the recovery menu scroll down (up and down volume buttons) and choose "install .zip from sdcard" (camera button to make selections)

search for the lgdbx09main.zip (the file you just renamed) and start loading it.

once the "flash" was complete I was set and on liberty gingerbread 9.0 .. so far with little to no issues

gingerbread does not seem 100% stable on the droid x. my liberty copy is not perfect and my room mates phone is on verizon official OTA software and its not perfect either.

anyway, thanks for the help all :D and hopefully some one else with similar issues runs into this problem and hopefully this will help :D

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Yeah the whole SBF thing was killing you lol. And as far as why your apps stayed I am pretty sure in one of my posts or my PM I mentioned that doing the reset wipes out everything that the SBF doesnt. Either way that is irrelevant. I am just glad you got it after all this time. Plus I am sure you learned a thing or 2 about your shiny new rooted DX.

Enjoy the ROM and if you ever have any questions for me just ask. I may not be a pro but I probably know someone who is lol.