dramatic drop off in battery

camaro1173

Reaction score
Hi all I have been a member for quite some time now and have also done a lot of reading about battery life and what not.
What I can not seam to fine any info on what my battery is doing so any info would be great.
Here is what I have done so far cleared Cache and do am battery calibration with the app I did not go in and delete the file by hand.

So on To the problem it is quite simple really battery last a long time it will get down to as 40% over the course say 8-9 hrs then in a matter of minutes it will drop straight down to 10% and then drains nice and steady once again.

Any ideas??

Thanks for the help

shadowsjc

Reaction score
Same thing has happened to me at different points in my phones life. Wish I had a solution but I don't

TatDroid

Reaction score
Yep, I've seen that happen fairly regularly since the switch to ICS, too. Battery life in general for me is WAY down on ICS.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
There is a fairly easy fix but it takes about 2 days to complete.

Use the phone until it warns of a "Low Battery". *Note, you MUST reach the pop-up warning or this will not work.*

Next, shut the phone off by powering it down manually.

Now, plug in the STOCK MOTOROLA wall adapter charger and allow the phone to power on and charge uninterrupted for at least 3 hours, or until it says 100%.

Once fully charged, remove from the charger and power up normally.

Use the phone once again until the "Low Battery" warning pop-up appears, and just like before power the phone down and charge from the wall adapter for 3 hours minimum or until 100%.

Now you may use and charge the phone as you normally do and should see considerable battery life improvement.

zxd9

Reaction score
My battery life was poor too after the ICS upgrade. The 2nd day I had it I cleared the cache. Nothing. Waited a week but it got no better. Finally yesterday I did a Factory Data Reset. Last night it made it through the night without any drop in battery. Usually it was draining 20-30%. I'm at 50% right now and have 16 hrs on the battery. Much of that time was spent reloading apps and setting up accounts and passwords for everything.

livinginkaos

Reaction score
My battery life was poor too after the ICS upgrade. The 2nd day I had it I cleared the cache. Nothing. Waited a week but it got no better. Finally yesterday I did a Factory Data Reset. Last night it made it through the night without any drop in battery. Usually it was draining 20-30%. I'm at 50% right now and have 16 hrs on the battery. Much of that time was spent reloading apps and setting up accounts and passwords for everything.
An FDR does wonders for many issues following a complete OS upgrade- even with that, there is a "learning curve" for your phone to settle into a day to day routine. Even with FoxKat's proven method, you may notice better performance right off, but even then, give it a few days before a full judgment.

OP
camaro1173

camaro1173

Reaction score

Use the phone until it warns of a "Low Battery". *Note, you MUST reach the pop-up warning or this will not work.*

Now, plug in the STOCK MOTOROLA wall adapter charger and allow the phone to power on and charge uninterrupted for at least 3 hours, or until it says 100%.

Use the phone once again until the "Low Battery" warning pop-up appears, and just like before power the phone down and charge from the wall adapter for 3 hours minimum or until 100%.

Now you may use and charge the phone as you normally do and should see considerable battery life improvement.

Thanks for the info I will give this a shot and see what happens.

Reaction score
FoxKat said:

You shouldn't have to" message" the battery with a ni-cad, they don't have "battery memory" like other batteries do, that is why most companies switched years back to that particular battery.. But anything is worth a shot for those that have the issue. Another thing to observe is what is taking up the battery life, most of the time it is the screen, helps to monitor the screen brightness, also monitoring the other programs that may be sucking down the battery, anything running in the background that shouldn't be running when not in use... Other than that, might just need another battery if it is the original... Just my 2¢...

livinginkaos

Reaction score
You shouldn't have to" message" the battery with a ni-cad, they don't have "battery memory" like other batteries do, that is why most companies switched years back to that particular battery.. But anything is worth a shot for those that have the issue. Another thing to observe is what is taking up the battery life, most of the time it is the screen, helps to monitor the screen brightness, also monitoring the other programs that may be sucking down the battery, anything running in the background that shouldn't be running when not in use... Other than that, might just need another battery if it is the original... Just my 2¢...
Just an FYI, the battery is not ni-cad, but Lithium-Ion. The procedure that FoxCat is recommending is not for "massaging" the battery, but more for conditioning the phone's settings for controlling the charge rates and useage.

Reaction score
livinginkaos said:
Just an FYI, the battery is not ni-cad, but Lithium-Ion. The procedure that FoxCat is recommending is not for "massaging" the battery, but more for conditioning the phone's settings for controlling the charge rates and useage.

That is what I meant about the battery sorry for misspeaking the type as I was eating and wasn't thinking... Again, messaging and conditioning are the same thing in tech speak, you don't have to do it to these batteries regardless...

livinginkaos

Reaction score
That is what I meant about the battery sorry for misspeaking the type as I was eating and wasn't thinking... Again, messaging and conditioning are the same thing in tech speak, you don't have to do it to these batteries regardless...
Again, the process is NOT for the battery, BUT for how the phone reads the battery.

Reaction score
livinginkaos said:
Again, the process is NOT for the battery, BUT for how the phone reads the battery.

That's not how it works, but you keep thinking that....

To the OP, probably best to buy another battery if you can't find the problem, just got another standard battery and noticed a difference in battery life vs. the original battery.

OP
camaro1173

camaro1173

Reaction score
Hi all so here is my thoughts after trying all the ideas. I still have the same drastic drop in my battery when it gets down to the 40% mark ( goes from 40% down to under 20% in seconds ) so I think that I am just going to have to buy a new battery and see if that fixes my problem. Once again I thank you for all the help and I also hope that any one else that has read this found something that might have helped them.