Dragging myself into the cell phone age....

jscotti

Reaction score
After years of specifically avoiding having a cell phone, I'm finally being dragged (kicking and screaming :eek: :)) into the cell phone age. When my sweetie suggested we should get cell phones, I told her "only if I get one of those cool iPhones or Blackberry's" so a day or so later, she said "I think I've found the phone you'll want." and showed me the Droid. So now I can't wait to get my new Droid tomorrow. Don't get me wrong about the cell phones - I love technology and have had a GPS of one sort for about 8 years and had a PDA that I wore out and computers and digital cameras and so forth. I suspect I'll use my new Droid mostly for the online stuff rather than as a phone (never like talking on the phone anyway, but I do love the web!).

Glad I found this forum - it's got some great info on the Droid and should be really helpful as I learn how to use it and solve the inevitable problems and questions that will come up.

Jim.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
After years of specifically avoiding having a cell phone, I'm finally being dragged (kicking and screaming :eek: :)) into the cell phone age. When my sweetie suggested we should get cell phones, I told her "only if I get one of those cool iPhones or Blackberry's" so a day or so later, she said "I think I've found the phone you'll want." and showed me the Droid. So now I can't wait to get my new Droid tomorrow. Don't get me wrong about the cell phones - I love technology and have had a GPS of one sort for about 8 years and had a PDA that I wore out and computers and digital cameras and so forth. I suspect I'll use my new Droid mostly for the online stuff rather than as a phone (never like talking on the phone anyway, but I do love the web!).

Glad I found this forum - it's got some great info on the Droid and should be really helpful as I learn how to use it and solve the inevitable problems and questions that will come up.

Jim.

Well first let me say :welcome: Jim. We hope you enjoy your stay here. Feel free to ask any questions you need to!

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum jim. If you need anything always ask miami1683 ;) glad you decided upon the droid.

OP
jscotti

jscotti

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum jim. If you need anything always ask miami1683 ;) glad you decided upon the droid.

Actually, I suspect the Droid decided upon me.... :p

I'm being terribly inefficient at work waiting for the hours to pass until I can welcome the Droids into our family.... Speaking of which, better get back to work. :icon_wink:

Jim.
p.s. Thanks for the welcomes!

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know how you mean about being inefficient, but good for me i do more hands on stuff, and mainly when things break ;) glad everything is running good.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
welcome to the machine! this will be a good place for you (all of us really) to sort out the features of your phone and learn what all it can do.. enjoy!

OP
jscotti

jscotti

Reaction score
I got my Droid this morning and am loving it so far. Typed this on the Droid too! Keyboard takes some getting used to....

Jim.

mcb

Reaction score
Picked mine up this morning, too. Switched over from a craptastic LG Voyager.

So far so good. Signal strength is excellent at work compared to my Voyager and my old Moto Razr.

Excited to see what the Droid can do over time. :icon_ banana:

OP
jscotti

jscotti

Reaction score
Wasn't sure what to expect this morning so we arrived about 6:45AM for a 7AM store opening and found lots of store employees and a security guard, but we were first in line with another customer arriving right after us and maybe one more in the almost hour we were there doing the setup. I wonder how busy other VZW stores were for the Droid arrival?

OP
jscotti

jscotti

Reaction score
How's battery life on this Drizoid?:reddroid:

The unit showed about half charge when I picked it up at the Verizon Wireless store and I used it fairly heavily until I got to my office (more than an hour)
when I plugged it into the USB port on my laptop for a bit. I took it to lunch with me to show off to some friends and it by then started showing very low battery (it was about 20% when I looked when I got to lunch). It shut itself down after about 40 minutes for a total run time of probably about 4 hours with maybe an hour of time on the USB port (while on and doing things). It only took about 2 or 2.5 hours to fully charge after lunch when I plugged it into the wall (still using it at least half the time) and I had no trouble with it the rest of the afternoon and evening. I haven't measured its full drain time, but what I've seen is consistent with the specs.

Jim.