Downloading apps??

jbr13

Reaction score
I have limited reception at my house. I have one bar, but I have my droid on my wifi. When I try to dowload an app, 3G doesn't show up in the icon bar, but wifi does. The problem is that it takes a long time to download an app. Does anyone have an idea why. Does it not download apps via wifi?

Thanks
J

mjs31

Reaction score
I have limited reception at my house. I have one bar, but I have my droid on my wifi. When I try to dowload an app, 3G doesn't show up in the icon bar, but wifi does. The problem is that it takes a long time to download an app. Does anyone have an idea why. Does it not download apps via wifi?

Thanks
J

Strange. I use wifi in my house all the time for downloading apps. How long are you talking before the arrow is complete?

OP
jbr13

jbr13

Reaction score
It will sit there with no progress for a good five minutes or so.

It really just seems like it won't download apps on the WiFi, anytime I am away from home, the 3G downloads fine.

J

Last edited:

Trip

Reaction score
Just checking, but have you gone into settings, and Wireless & Networks, then Wi-Fi settings to verify that you are actually connected to your Wi-Fi and that its not generating any errors? Your Wi-Fi networks should be listed at the bottom and your home network should say connected below it.

BigTex71

Reaction score
Also, how far away are you from your wireless router? There are apps out there to help see signal strength and other tools to help with WiFi connection issues. Also, is your hotspot running 802.11a, b, g, or n? What other things are running WiFi on that hotspot? Some routers will only run in the mode of the slowest connected device (ie. if a 802.11n network has a device running 802.11b, the whole wireless network is now at 802.11b speed.)

OP
jbr13

jbr13

Reaction score
Yeah, WiFi is turn on and running fine. I can get on the internet with my Droid and surf just fine. The only thing that acts this way is down loading apps.

mjs31

Reaction score
Did you try power cycling the Droid to see if that helps?

Yeah...that would also be my next suggestion. Something is strange here...getting fast web with a strong connection, yet taking so long to download apps. Is there any way you could connect to another wireless setup and try from it? This would show if it was definitely on your Droid side of things.

OP
jbr13

jbr13

Reaction score
Yeah I will try those things. What I am affraid of is that there is a struggle going on. The Wireless signal is low but just enough to try downloading there, and not switching over to the stronger WiFi signal. We will see

droid???

Reaction score
I agree. Just have the HTC Droid, but it's extremely slow to respond. Downloading (even starting a download) takes forever. Looking desperately to find just one app that gives me hope for the future of this phone. With the exception of a checkbook ledger (no huge feat), I'm convinced that there is nothing. If you have suggestions, I'm all ears. Thanks for letting me vent. [email protected]
~Sean

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I will try those things. What I am affraid of is that there is a struggle going on. The Wireless signal is low but just enough to try downloading there, and not switching over to the stronger WiFi signal. We will see

Doesn't wi-fi take precedence over 3g when wi-fi is enabled? or am i off base here?

propup

Reaction score
OP is 100% correct here.

I have exact same issue and I also have very poor cell reception in my home - almost nothing. Forgot about 3g... I may get the Verizon Network extender device but I'm pretty sure that this will not improve 3g reception only basic cell reception.

I do have have excellent wifi coverage in my home and use it all the time. It seems that you can browse the Market just fine and choose apps to download just fine. However, I have extreme delays actually getting the app. If I keep checking downloads option I can sometimes speed it up but it still takes many tries and it takes many minutes. 5, 10, 15... sometimes longer for the download to start. Then, I never know if the download will complete. It usually does, but not always.

I just assumed that the Market is somehow tied to the 3g network. I wish it was just normal web access but I don't think it is.
I do get excellent d/l speeds when in a good 3g area btw.