download movies to my phone to watch at will

tangerine3

Reaction score
Is it possible to either download a movie to my computer and then put on my sdhc card so i can watch on my phone; or download straight from wifi to my phone's sdhc card so i can watch when I want?

doesn't necessarily have to be for free, just need to know if this is possible and some site/app suggestions for doing this, thank you.

I have a Droid Razr M with 32gb sdhc

jcwilliams

Reaction score
I think the video would have to be a certain format. With that being said you can use something like DVDFab or similar to convert your movies over to android format...
I use DVDFab and there is an option to convert to ps3 android iPhone ect...

Spey

Reaction score
Is it possible to either download a movie to my computer and then put on my sdhc card so i can watch on my phone; or download straight from wifi to my phone's sdhc card so i can watch when I want?

Yes & Yes.

Examples; I can save movies to internal memory and/or the SD-card for playback at later time (via WiFi, USB, any Data Connection). Typical formats I've used for movies over past couple years seem to play fine on Razr M both before and after JB (.avi,.mkv, .mp4, .264, etc.). Additionally I am able to play movies that are stored on any of our network drives without having to move them to the phone (view the movie on the phone - stored on the network-drive).

Last edited:
OP
T

tangerine3

Reaction score
Ok. Now does anyone know of any good sites to buy movies from or get free movies? I accidently rented one from google and have 30 days to watch it. But I want to be able to either buy them or find free movies to download to my phone or computer. Thank you.

Spey

Reaction score
Now there's a loaded question ... I don't think this forum is to place to ask about movie download options (beware - some answers could get you in trouble with your wireless provider and/or your broadband provider). Would suggest Google Search and bookmark a few forums related to digital movie files, then proceed at your own discretion based on your own principals. There's a lot of things to consider like how much bandwidth you are going to use, speed of your connection type(s), video compression formats, file sizes vs. movie length based on your playback device requirements.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
tangerine3 said:
Ok. Now does anyone know of any good sites to buy movies from or get free movies? I accidently rented one from google and have 30 days to watch it. But I want to be able to either buy them or find free movies to download to my phone or computer. Thank you.

If I understand the question, there are lots of options...Netflix, Flixster, do a search in the play store...you'll get tons of options.

OP
T

tangerine3

Reaction score
Now there's a loaded question ... I don't think this forum is to place to ask about movie download options (beware - some answers could get you in trouble with your wireless provider and/or your broadband provider). Would suggest Google Search and bookmark a few forums related to digital movie files, then proceed at your own discretion based on your own principals. There's a lot of things to consider like how much bandwidth you are going to use, speed of your connection type(s), video compression formats, file sizes vs. movie length based on your playback device requirements.

you are right this has now turned into a movie download question instead of a droid question but it did start out that way. I am not looking to pirate movies so don't know why i would be in trouble with anyone. I simply am now looking for a site to buy movies and have them downloaded straight to my phone or if that can't be done then to my computer and then get them on my phone somehow to watch when I want. I will seek other forums, but thanks for all who tried to help

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
tangerine3 said:
you are right this has now turned into a movie download question instead of a droid question but it did start out that way. I am not looking to pirate movies so don't know why i would be in trouble with anyone. I simply am now looking for a site to buy movies and have them downloaded straight to my phone or if that can't be done then to my computer and then get them on my phone somehow to watch when I want. I will seek other forums, but thanks for all who tried to help

Tangerine there was nothing wrong on what you posted or asked... all very reasonable questions and also the purpose of this forum. Believe me, you are not in trouble with anyone and I don't know why you would be. If you look through the threads, you will find several that ask for the best app that serves a particular purpose. I actually just answered one about browsers. You are fine. The only thing I can guess is that maybe spey misinterpreted your questions or is not very familiar with everything we do on this forum, yet. No need to worry.

We pride ourselves in this forum being a family friendly place and one that people feel comfortable asking most any question no matter how complex or simple. Your posts fit all of that without question and I see nothing suggesting anything improper or illegal?

Spey

Reaction score

tangerine3,
I did not mean to imply your intention was to "pirate" movies, or to do anything "illegal". Example of "could get you in trouble with your wireless provider and/or your broadband provider", includes among others exceeding your download monthly limits - resulting in your provider throttling down your connection speed and/or shutting if off (we've exceeded bandwidth limits on our Comcast account a number of times, and received threat letters already mainly from online share folders with our kids in college). "Getting in trouble", would be like you need the download band width late in the month for a work project, and you've been throttled down by your provider. It sounded like you may be new to the movie download-scene, and I was expressing that IMO it's important to understand that you may not need the super-gigabyte-file-size movies (do a little research into your principal playback requirements, for the devices you want to watch on, before just blindly downloading movie titles). Copyright protected stuff, well that goes without saying ...

Personally, I save movies (file size, resolution, aspect-ratio wise) for playback on princiapl system (living-room media system). Then, if needed may modify the movie files to suite additional devices based on specific requirements of device (phone(s), iTouch(s), Nook-En-Droid(s), etc.). Original movie (along with sub-titles files if needed) is/are kept in movie-archive-drive & folders on network-drive that is accessible by any network device on our system. I have found I like Gmote.apk for Android based access and control of movie files stored on movie-archive-drive (Razr-M functions as Mouse-Glide-Pad, Keyboard, Controller, Playback Device, and Access Point to/for movies).

Sorry for any misunderstanding/misinterpretation that may have come from my earlier reply.

Regards,

Last edited: