Doubled the sound output from my incredible...

tonynalli

Reaction score
okay, so i just got my incredible in the mail yesterday and was going over the phone inside and out. absolutely a beautiful phone. lightning fast, and super smooth. my old phone the moto droid couldn't hold a candle to this phone. anyways...the one thing that i didn't like about it was speaker sound levels...if you listen to it without the back cover its really loud and sounds great. but the hole on the cover for the speaker is super small. if you take the back off and look at the actual size of the speaker youll notice it is about as big as your pinkey thumbnail. however the hole that the sound travels through is about as big as a tip of a ball point pen. I think its pretty ridiculous and figured there was plenty of room for upgrade. in fact, i have done this on several other phone that ive had in the past and had complete success.

So i got the tip of my soldering iron and carefully rounded the hole out about twice as big as what came from the factory..i got a razor blade and cut off any excess plastic and made it nice and smooth. I then got a small metal screen that you can get at any hardware store, colored it black and glued it behind the cover and VIOLA....

now some of you might be a little hesitant to go at your brand new phone with a soldering iron, but really its no big deal its really only the battery cover and they sell brand new ones on ebay for 22.95 shipped.

honestly the sound from the phone is WAY louder, crisper and more clear with the hole being larger and it doesn't really look like i did anything to it. i might try to make it a little larger to see what more i can get from it, but for the time being im really happy.

rosariorose9

Reaction score
^^^

You, my friend are a more adventurous spirit than I am! Sure that if I tried this I would end up really boogering up my beautiful DI :blink:

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
:icon_ worthless:

well not really, i just wanted to use that icon :)

but you should put one up of the finished product so everyone else can see

mcapozzi

Reaction score
Dude, you rock.

I agree, you could probably make some serious extra cash making these mods.

Buy 5 of them, charge 40 bucks for the modded cover. Tell customers to send theirs in afterwards and get 10 bucks back (so they end up paying 30). Then you'll be able to maintain a fairly steady stream of battery covers to mod, and customers won't have to go without a battery cover in the meantime.

-Mike

OP
T

tonynalli

Reaction score
its actually a small metal screen that i used. there is already a screen over the speaker from the factory, but its very thin and aside from looking better its just a precaution. since i dont plan on using a case just yet i figured that random stuff from my pocket could get inside and didnt want to risk it.

i actually have a cell phone repair business in key west where i live, and i could totally make a few back covers ready to install. im quite busy, but this could be a fun thing that i can help all the incredible users with. my gf has an eris so ill see there is anything i can do for that turd.

ill start taking pre-orders. as soon as i get THREE people that are for sure wanting to DOUBLE their volume on the incredible ill go ahead and make it happen on a larger scale.

kmo

Reaction score
Cool that you have the mod mentality, but what 's the point? It's still a "TINY" speaker and it will never sound that good no matter what you do, headphones are your friend. Good job though in your ingenuity and trying something new. ;)

Prakis

Reaction score
Wow, I guess I can't read. Thought you had wrote small screw when it was screen. I'll go back to lurking now ;)

OP
T

tonynalli

Reaction score
Cool that you have the mod mentality, but what 's the point? It's still a "TINY" speaker and it will never sound that good no matter what you do, headphones are your friend. Good job though in your ingenuity and trying something new. ;)

the difference between the factory sound quality and level compared to my modification is almost night and day. of course its a tiny speaker, thats why you need to do as much as you can to make it work at its top performance. go ahead and take the back cover off of your phone when your listening to music. its WAY louder, now imagine my phone being able to reproduce that same level without having to take it off. i have a great pair of skull candy headphones that are great and use them all the time. but im not justifying carring them around all the time. no matter what happens, its still nice having a louder phone, not only for the music but also the ringer volume is increased also.

*side note*
i looked at my gfs driod eris and it too can be modified. im going to do it to hers and let you know the results

kmo

Reaction score
Next time I have my back cover off to swap batteries I will check it out....