Double birthday entries on Calendar, fix causes multiple problems

TWC42

Reaction score
All the birthdays on my Rezound's Calendar were showing up twice, with no way to delete one of them. An extensive Google search found the most common solution was to sign out of Google on the phone, and then sign in again. I was afraid that doing so would cause me to lose all my assigned ringtones, so I held off. Then I got brave and tried it on my Xoom (which had the same double birthday problem on its Calendar). It worked, and all seemed well. So I removed my Google account from the Rezound, and re-activated it. Yep, that fixed the double birthday problem and created a batch of new issues. All my phone contacts and Google contacts became unlinked, so I had to go through all 146 duplicates and re-link them. I had a panel of Favorites, and when I touched the icon, I got an error message stating "Invalid number". Jeeze, I really hate it when the error message is a damn lie. After a lot of hair-pulling, I found that it wasn't an invalid number, the function of the icon had to be re-established. It didn't occur if a person had only one number on their account, but if more than one, I had to re-select which number I wanted to call when I touched their icon.
My wife's Dinc 4G had the same double birthday issue on her calendar, and removing and re-establishing her Google account created the same problems as it did on my Rezound, and additionally she lost all her ringtone assignments, having them all go to default.
Time will tell if more problems crop up as a result of the Google account reset. If anyone knows of an easier way to fix the double birthday calendar problem, please let us know.

acejavelin

Reaction score
Remember calendar events can come from more than one account... You can have event (such as a birthday) in Google and Facebook, and it will show two entries in the calendar.

I was unaware you could just remove your Google account, in previous phones I had always had to do a factory reset to do this... usually just clearing data on the effected app works fine though, such as clear data on Calendar Storage for calendar issues.

OP
TWC42

TWC42

Reaction score
In my case, the only calendar I'm using is Google calendar. No FaceBook on my phone. I think the source of the problem is a Google calendar issue.

HowardZ

Reaction score
I disliked having duplicate linked contacts.

I deleted all contacts leaving only those stored in Google account contacts. I left a few duplicated because they are very important.

I am also careful never to import contacts from Yahoo or other programs.

This is cleaner.

OP
TWC42

TWC42

Reaction score
Another issue that crept up as a result of deleting and reinstating Google account was that one of my contacts that I had blocked (telemarketer) became unblocked.