DON'T Charge Your HTC 10 With A Nexus 6P Charger!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

So this is the issue that everyone will inadvertently run into when upgrading to a usb type-c device. While usb Type-c is the future of smartphones it will take some time to get fully adapted to it. I have a total of 3 USB Type C chargers and only 2 actual cables. On the other hand I have countless micro USB 2.0 chargers.

What do you do when you can't find your HTC 10 charger and your Nexus 6P charger is the only charger around. Well the fact that it actually has a Type-C cable the natural decision would be just to use the 6P charger. "Drewmor" did just that. He charged his HTC 10 overnight with the 6P charger. When he woke up the next day he picked up the phone to discover it was hot enough to actually burn his hand.

For now I would suggest that you use your HTC 10 charger only. Of course soon there will be plenty of third party chargers that are Qualcomm 3.0 certified which you should be able to use with the HTC 10. There actually already are a few QC3.0 certified chargers out there.

via XDA

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
What charging technology does the 6P charger use? I don't see how using another USB type 3 charger could possibly cause an issue.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Gremlin

Reaction score
Each USB C has different power ratings (i know i am using the wrong word) correct?

shockracer

Reaction score
Wasn't there a report that the HTC 10 wasn't type C certified do to power?

Last edited:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
As quick as we were to bash manufacturers like Samsung and Apple for not jumping to the next big thing, it looks like they are playing it smart. Sit back and get bashed for not "adopting the latest" and watch everyone else take the beating for these issues. Meanwhile the masses are happy because their phone still works. Once all the kinks get figured out and the people burning their hands issues are done. Then Samsung and Apple will join in.
Well maybe not Apple unless they can some how make a special USB type C that is proprietary so they are the only source people can buy their cables through.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
All htc and lg devices are NOT usb-c certified. They didn't do their homework as was stated by Google engineer not long ago.
Then why even bother releasing a phone with USB type c cords, better to just stay with what works in high speed and wireless charging until they got the tech right. The average customer can care less about type c, in fact they would rather you kept with the old tech so they can borrow a friends charger vs panicking when they realized they left their charger on the counter.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
LG can afford a screw up like this as they have built up enough goodwill in the bank. They can launch another V10 or something of that matter and probably recover just fine.
HTC on the other hand is like on their last leg. It's like HTC just can't get right (HTC One A9 Unlocked Edition, share your thoughts...), as I said there before.
SNq98Rx.gif
Google please help your boy out they just messing up all kind of ways. They could really benefit from someone taking them under a wing and just providing them with some direction.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I've alway been leery of charging my phones with anything other than the charger that they come with. At the VERY least, I would make sure I know the specs of the charger to ensure that any third-party charger I'm using meets those same output levels/etc.

I'm sorry. Maybe it's just my OCD of always having my charger in the same place in the house and/or bringing my power bank with me when I don't think just charging in the truck will suffice, but I don't blame HTC for someone using the wrong charger with their device. Even when switching phones of the same brand, I wouldn't charge the wife's new S7 with the charger for the Note 4 or vice versa just to be safe until I checked the specs of each. Especially if I planned to charge overnight.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I've alway been leery of charging my phones with anything other than the charger that they come with. At the VERY least, I would make sure I know the specs of the charger to ensure that any third-party charger I'm using meets those same output levels/etc.

I'm sorry. Maybe it's just my OCD of always having my charger in the same place in the house and/or bringing my power bank with me when I don't think just charging in the truck will suffice, but I don't blame HTC for someone using the wrong charger with their device. Even when switching phones of the same brand, I wouldn't charge the wife's new S7 with the charger for the Note 4 or vice versa just to be safe until I checked the specs of each. Especially if I planned to charge overnight.

Well in principle I may agree, and you know me to be an advocate of using high quality manufacturers chargers, and where possible only the charger that was supplied with the device by the manufacturer, but the truth is USB is a standard, and so USB type-C is a standard as well. That means that since its standardised all USB type-C devices should work properly with all USB type-C cables and all USB type-C chargers.

Adhering to standards is a known problem among many industries, probably most widely recognized in the industry of electronics and computers. So often I see electronic equipment manufacturers claiming to be compatible with X, Y or Z components, only to find out later that the protocol they're using is a bastardized version of the standard, and so of course it doesn't work with all of the standardized devices.

I run into this a lot with third-party external hard drive cases, as well as with routers that are manufactured by lesser-known companies. This is most prevalent with Chinese manufacturers. It's because in order to adhere to the standard and display the logo (i.e. USB), the manufacturer often has to also pay licensing fees. In order to avoid that licensing fee manufacturers try to write their own code to emulate the process. Unfortunately they miss the boat in one manner or another. Not implying that HTC did that on this case. It was more likely a simple error in coding or a misunderstanding of the protocol by the programmers.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Well in principle I may agree, and you know me to be an advocate of using high quality manufacturers chargers, and where possible only the charger that was supplied with the device by the manufacturer, but the truth is USB is a standard, and so USB type-C is a standard as well. That means that since its standardised all USB type-C devices should work properly with all USB type-C cables and all USB type-C chargers.

Adhering to standards is a known problem among many industries, probably most widely recognized in the industry of electronics and computers. So often I see electronic equipment manufacturers claiming to be compatible with X, Y or Z components, only to find out later that the protocol they're using is a bastardized version of the standard, and so of course it doesn't work with all of the standardized devices.

I run into this a lot with third-party external hard drive cases, as well as with routers that are manufactured by lesser-known companies. This is most prevalent with Chinese manufacturers. It's because in order to adhere to the standard and display the logo (i.e. USB), the manufacturer often has to also pay licensing fees. In order to avoid that licensing fee manufacturers try to write their own code to emulate the process. Unfortunately they miss the boat in one manner or another.

While I can't argue with you about standards, as I have my own strong opinions about things that don't follow them that align with yours, I feel like I read somewhere that the standard wasn't actually finalized yet. Maybe I'm completely wrong about that.

I know Benson from Google has made it his mission to test cables for compliance with the standard they used with the 6P, but is that based on a standard that's still a work in progress, or is it set in stone?

Also, I have to think somebody with a 6P that obviously know how to use the internet & forums should be aware of the issues of some devices & cables not meeting the source of the standard, whether it's finalized or not.

Just me being a hard a** jerk, I guess. Haha

Your point is more than valid, though I feel like, in this specific case, this seems like a person who I would expect to be aware of the issues with Type-C right now. Maybe I'm giving them too much credit there & not enough elsewhere though.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
While I can't argue with you about standards, as I have my own strong opinions about things that don't follow them that align with yours, I feel like I read somewhere that the standard want actually finalized yet. Maybe I'm completely wrong about that.

I know Benson from Google has made it his mission to test cables for compliance with the standard they used with the 6P, but is that based on a standard that's still a work in progress, or is it set in stone?

Also, I have to think somebody with a 6P that obviously know how to use the internet & forums should be aware of the issues of some devices & cables not meeting the source of the standard, whether it's finalized or not.

Just me being a hard a** jerk, I guess. Haha

Your point is more than valid, though I feel like, in this specific case, this seems like a person who I would expect to be aware of the issues with Type-C right now. Maybe I'm giving them too much credit there & not enough elsewhere though.

Your points are well taken and again I agree in principle.

Being a manufacturer can be a real hassle since you have to gauge your potential customer base's level of competency, aptitude and intelligence as you engineer the product and then write the instructions. This is perhaps most acutely seen in computers and cellphones, medical equipment and pharmaceuticals, but is a problem anywhere that high technology meets face to face with the masses.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I agree with both of you. But the issue is that we are not talking about a Nexus 6p user here. Nexus users are more likely in tuned with the forums to know about the Benson recommended chargers, and even that took awhile for Benson to sift through the bad chargers.

What we are talking about are those who bought a HTC device that is sold in carrier stores. That being the case I can see the average user buying the charger that fits and probably seeing the positive reviews from those chargers Benson recommends vs the others and buying the ones for the Nexus 6p to use on their HTC 10.

Now the article was from a Nexus 6p user who ventures the forums and if they made that mistake then what will happen with the average user. This is why I feel like HTC should have either went all the way or stayed with the standard USB charger.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I agree with both of you. But the issue is that we are not talking about a Nexus 6p user here. Nexus users are more likely in tuned with the forums to know about the Benson recommended chargers, and even that took awhile for Benson to sift through the bad chargers.

What we are talking about are those who bought a HTC device that is sold in carrier stores. That being the case I can see the average user buying the charger that fits and probably seeing the positive reviews from those chargers Benson recommends vs the others and buying the ones for the Nexus 6p to use on their HTC 10.

Now the article was from a Nexus 6p user who ventures the forums and if they made that mistake then what will happen with the average user. This is why I feel like HTC should have either went all the way or stayed with the standard USB charger.

Well, the average user that doesn't own a 6p isn't going to have a 6p charger to use, but I get what you're saying.

Don't those manuals that no one reads say something about only using official or approved chargers, though...? Haha