Doing some research... is this forum right for me?

indiana_man

Reaction score
Bought 1st smartphone Dec 2010 – Droid 2 on Verizon, 2 yr contract. But my Droid died about 3 weeks ago... bought a Motorola Citrus to get me by until I figure out my next move.

I'm tired of paying for all the service I don't need. I barely make 1 phone call per week; maybe 10 text messages per week; access web and email maybe 5-10 times per day but only do some general web research, no video/music streaming. I'm not particularly smartphone savvy, e.g. "rooting", gaming, etc. To me, the smartphone is great 24/7 web/email access, texting, and super GPS, a few select apps, camera occasionally, ... and not much else.

I'm looking to go with a prepaid phone to save $$$, tired of paying way too much monthly cost. Is this the forum to get answers on carriers like iwireless-Kroger and Virgin Mobile (both Sprint service), the flexibility or lack of flexibility with various "unlocked" phones for different carrier selection, coverage questions, ...

I'm 60 years old and have not grown up with these things...

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Hello and welcome to the forum!!

I think several users are moving to pre-paid service - the only advice I would offer is look at which carriers offer the best coverage for your area or area's you might travel too...good luck and hope ya hang around the forum!!

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Welcome to DF!! Definitely feel free to stick around!!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Welcome to the droid forums :)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

S

SFGate

Welcome to the site. I've moved to prepaid services too, because I got fed up with being bled dry. You can find lots of info here. If you have a question, just post it, and someone will help. DancingNexus

OP
I

indiana_man

Reaction score
Thx for the welcome from all.

I have decided to test out Kroger/iwireless with their LG Optimus phone on Sprint network. It's the cheapest out there @ $25/month of 200 MB data (200 minutes talk, free text). If Sprint network works for our general area, I'll save a bundle... so far after 3 days, it looks good. I have 14 days (< 10 minutes talk) to return it if not satisfied. It's funny getting a phone & service from a grocery store, buy hey, matters none to me...
Although the phone doesn't quite measure up to my old Droid 2, it seems quite good enough. Display is about half the pixels, processor isn't quite as fast, camera only 3 MPixel... but still, like I said, I would save big -- $1200 over 2 years.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
glad you found something that works for you .

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score
And you can always do research on what phones will work with their service.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2