Does the lack of Hands Free operation bother anyone?

Dan Miller

Reaction score
I am somewhat amazed that people aren't screaming about this. Especially considering the lawsuit seeking people out there...

I love this device, but I can't call it a phone. Every mobile device I have owned since the original V-710 has had voice dialing via bluetooth or through a wired handset. Originally I thought it was a geek feature, but ultimately it got to the point where it might have been the single most used technology in the phone.

The fact that we now have what might be in some ways the most advanced mobile device on the planet is cool, but it is bordering on a criminal oversight not to have the handsfree profile included, especially considering that many states REQUIRE handsfree operation.

When you go to the Android developers area, Google has it listed as an "enhancement" with medium priority, meaning (as I take it), "we'll get around to it someday"

I know that if it isn't addressed on the 12/11 update, mine is going back.

I don't need a multimedia PC that fits on my belt. I NEED a phone first, then if it does all of these cool things, great. I have been using a Q since it came out, and it has its problems, but it is a pretty good device overall. This could have crushed it, but without handsfree operation, I can't consider it to be even in the running as anything other than a neat concept. Kind of like one of those futuristic show cars you see at the Milan Auto Show.

dieselpowered

Reaction score
I am not going to lie, I was really shocked when I went to voice dial from my headset and it just beeped at me. I really took for granted that this would have been a feature. It is not going to make or break the way I feel about the phone, however, I truly think they should look into getting this added.

mwinne

Reaction score
I was surprised that this phone does not have this, but for me it is no deal breaker, since I never used it much on my other phones. I jsut don't talk much on the phone when driving. However, that being said I think this jphone needs it more thean the ones I have had in the past, and would really like to see it added.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I wouldn't be caught dead with a bluetooth headset in my ear so no it doesn't bother me
: )

GadgetRick

Reaction score
I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill here. You can voice dial, you just can't hit the button on the headset, instead, you must tap the microphone icon and speak then. Works fine. Been using it for a while now.

It's just really not that big of a deal to be quite honest.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
the problem really is that it just doesn't do it through the main voice dialer app. It seems that if you were to modify this program to allow it through the BT devices, it would work. But then again it's probably not that easy. As already stated you can easily voice dial without the BT, the only thing is that you can't do it while it's in your pocket, or maybe in the belt holsters. The voice dialer can pick up speech even when the phone isn't right next to your ear.

OP
D

Dan Miller

Reaction score
I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill here. You can voice dial, you just can't hit the button on the headset, instead, you must tap the microphone icon and speak then. Works fine. Been using it for a while now.

A. That's not handsfree.
B. If the phone is clipped to your belt, the screen is faced in. Impossible. Same if it is in your pocket, or in my wife's case, her purse.
C. Many times the phone is at my desk, and the headset is in my ear and I'm not with it.
D. The prompts don't come through the headset either.

Why do people downplay this? VoiceCommand has been out for many years, and even el-cheapo phones offer it.

If you don't miss it HUGELY, then you never really used it.

GadgetRick

Reaction score

A. That's not handsfree.
B. If the phone is clipped to your belt, the screen is faced in. Impossible. Same if it is in your pocket, or in my wife's case, her purse.
C. Many times the phone is at my desk, and the headset is in my ear and I'm not with it.
D. The prompts don't come through the headset either.

Why do people downplay this? VoiceCommand has been out for many years, and even el-cheapo phones offer it.

If you don't miss it HUGELY, then you never really used it.
It's not truly hands free ever then (you still have to touch the headset).

Just because YOU don't like the way it works doesn't mean we ALL have to not like it. For me, it works good enough. I never drive with a phone clipped to my belt so the current method is just as easy. If I'm walking around, then it's certainly not a liability issue like was implied in the original message. It's not that big of an issue.

Does it mean I feel they shouldn't make it work? Absolutely not. However, it's far from a large enough issue for me (and, apparently, most others) for me to take my phone back. If it's that large of an issue for you, then take it back. Problem solved. But don't act crazy when everyone doesn't agree with you as far as the size of the issue.

PJ_ED

Reaction score
I also just "expected" this feature on the phone. I used it whenever I had my Bluetooth in. This also includes the integrated Bluetooth in my motorcycle helmet which I used mainly for listening to music. I'm not going to return the Droid over this, but it is disappointing. I hope they fix it before riding season comes back.

OP
D

Dan Miller

Reaction score
However, it's far from a large enough issue for me (and, apparently, most others) for me to take my phone back. If it's that large of an issue for you, then take it back. Problem solved. But don't act crazy when everyone doesn't agree with you as far as the size of the issue.

Good point... But there are at least 1000 people who agree, some much more vehemently.

Issue 1181 - android - [VoiceDial] Voice confirmation for Voice Dialer - Project Hosting on Google Code

GadgetRick

Reaction score
However, it's far from a large enough issue for me (and, apparently, most others) for me to take my phone back. If it's that large of an issue for you, then take it back. Problem solved. But don't act crazy when everyone doesn't agree with you as far as the size of the issue.

Good point... But there are at least 1000 people who agree, some much more vehemently.

Issue 1181 - android - [VoiceDial] Voice confirmation for Voice Dialer - Project Hosting on Google Code
That's fine. My point is, don't get upset with those of us who aren't losing sleep over this. You asked if we're all that upset about it and I, like others, have replied it's not that big of a deal. It's a nice-to-have, not a need-to-have (for me).

don

Reaction score
I use the phone as a GPS and have a windshield mount. It very to use the VoiceDial with it in this mount.

don

Reaction score
I use the phone as a GPS and the VoiceDial is easy to use in the mount. I turn on the Speaker and can hear the call excellent. Do not use my Bluetooth in the car.

BlkBear

Reaction score
CK hates leeches

I wouldn't be caught dead with a bluetooth headset in my ear so no it doesn't bother me
: )

Come on CK, you saying you do not like blinking leeches on your face?
I sorta like my Borg Leech.

I wonder if anyone makes BT headsets that go into your ear canal, like some of the smaller hearing aids?

TechJPC

Reaction score
I am with the OP. I think it is a MUST HAVE. I used it all the time before I got the Droid. It's dangerous right now if you have to make a call in the car.

Hopefully they will do something.