Does the D3 have a pentile screen?

cwoms167

Reaction score
I dont think that's its bad at all im really loving the phone but am still probally gonna get the bionic on the 4th when it comes out

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's not bad at all. Better....much better than the X2....and I am going to bet the X2 will be better than the Bionic (since it also has this screen and it seems the larger the screen the worse it is) so....

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yep, but its a nice screen unlike the droid x2. Bionic will probably just as bad, if not worse.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Yep, but its a nice screen unlike the droid x2. Bionic will probably just as bad, if not worse.

Are we starting again? Sigh,,,

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Are we starting again? Sigh,,,

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
Starting what? Everyone seems to want to bring those two things up, so I just got em out of the way. No hating on the phone, just saying these are the arguments:

- Well, unlike the DROID X2, the pentile on the D3 is much more bearable. Probably because of the 4inch screen versus the 4.3inch screen.

or

- Everyone that's hating on Atrix, x2, and D3 for having pentile are going to do the same exact thing with the Bionic, then. If not more if it goes over a 4.3inch screen to 4.5.

No way am I trying to "start" something, it's just something to take into consideration. It's personal preference. If you like your phone, then you like your phone. Don't start disliking it cause others don't like certain things about it.

leobg

Reaction score
The pentile screen topic has been beaten to death across many forums and blogs.
Just google around and you will see why JohnnytheK commented this way.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The pentile screen topic has been beaten to death across many forums and blogs.
Just google around and you will see why JohnnytheK commented this way.
No, I completely agree. I don't like it either seeing as how I'm just fine with it. I mean we get it, it's not a Super Amoled screen like some phones. But I like it, and to me the colors look more realistic then over colored/brightened/exaggerated colors you can get with SAmoled screens. But again, personal preference.
And it annoys me that a lot of the people waiting for the Bionic are people hating in the Pentile screen, when aren't rumors it's going to have that too? Everyone seems to look past that.

bplewis24

Reaction score
Why are people proclaiming that the Bionic will have a 4.5" screen AGAIN? I thought we were over that by now? All recent rumors have suggested 4.5" phone, 4.3" screen. Is there something new I'm missing?

Brandon

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why are people proclaiming that the Bionic will have a 4.5" screen AGAIN? I thought we were over that by now? All recent rumors have suggested 4.5" phone, 4.3" screen. Is there something new I'm missing?

Brandon
Notice I'm not saying it will have a 4.5in screen, I said "if" it turns out to have it due to the fact it's not been confirmed yet, now has it? The rumors have just swayed to 4.3 now. I remember when 4.5in was the so called "for sure" screen size it was going to have too. It's just things to take into consideration.

leobg

Reaction score
I have spent some time playing with the Atrix, which I believe sports exactly the same screen as D3 (since I plan to upgrade my D2G).
My opinion on that screen is - colors are fine, representation of pictures is very natural. What I hated about this screen is it actually looks lower resolution compared to D2/1. There is a simple reason for that - pentile screen uses 2 color groups to represent 3 pixels instead classic's 1:1 ratio, which means actual resolution is 33% lower. The new screen physical resolution, if we were to count color group to color group is 720x400 (take 33% off qHD). I wish they have gone with regular screen, even if they left the resolution 854x480 as before, just bumped to 4".
But after spending an hour or so with the Atrix, I decided pentile screen isn't going to stop me of buying one of these phones. Hopefully for the Droid 4 we will have tha 300+ dpi display iphone and some other phones sport and we will stop bragging about pixels :)

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have spent some time playing with the Atrix, which I believe sports exactly the same screen as D3 (since I plan to upgrade my D2G).
My opinion on that screen is - colors are fine, representation of pictures is very natural. What I hated about this screen is it actually looks lower resolution compared to D2/1. There is a simple reason for that - pentile screen uses 2 color groups to represent 3 pixels instead classic's 1:1 ratio, which means actual resolution is 33% lower. The new screen physical resolution, if we were to count color group to color group is 720x400 (take 33% off qHD). I wish they have gone with regular screen, even if they left the resolution 854x480 as before, just bumped to 4".
But after spending an hour or so with the Atrix, I decided pentile screen isn't going to stop me of buying one of these phones. Hopefully for the Droid 4 we will have tha 300+ dpi display iphone and some other phones sport and we will stop bragging about pixels :)
Ah, great explanation. Wait so, is D3's resolution really worse then the D1? Or just in some aspects with color? Cause so far my D3 looks much better.. maybe the newness of it is just making me believe and think I'm seeing an improvement..
But I agree, hopefully the D4 will not have Pentile(or some super duper awesome new pentile screen blowing all others out of the water) and 4G since those seem to be to two deciding factors in which people will not buy it.

leobg

Reaction score
I don't believe the D3 and the Atrix have the same type of Pentile screen. I believe the D3 (and DX2) has a RGBW pentile display and the Atrix has a RGBG display.

AnandTech - Motorola Droid X2 Review - A Droid X with Tegra 2

We'll know for sure when Anandtech releases their review of the D3.

Brandon

Atrix's RGBW as well. Since you refer to anandtech - AnandTech - The Motorola Atrix 4G Preview

RGBW or RGBG - pentile is pentile - one pixel on a pentile screen is formed by less than one physical color group.
That's where power savings come from - at this resolution there are 33% less pixels to control compared to classic RGB stripe display.