Does Apps2SD = faster phone?

grimloktt

Reaction score
If the apps2sd feature is used and the phone decides where to place the apps, will that result in a faster phone or just more space for more programs?

It seems to me that it wouldn't affect speed as the operating system controls avaible needed memory by killing off programs, etc.

Could someone edumucate me? : )

Thnx!

xliderider

Reaction score
I'd say it depends on several factors:

How large the app is
how fast the sd card is
how much free memory is in the device
how fast the cpu is clocked at
etc, etc

In other words, it's hard to say... :D

Omega384

Reaction score
Ive tried searching around a bit, so dont beat me up if this has been asked before, becuase I imagine it has... but what are your guys' method of transferring your apps to your SD's? Ive just been doing it indivdually in my Manage Applications under Setting's. Just assumed theres a more convient way, or an app to transfer them all.

And not all apps are available to be transfered to the SD if the dev's didnt make the change to allow it, correct? Thanks for the help all.

Nblufire12

Reaction score
I'm rooted Droid 1 running BB.4 overclocking to 1 GHZ low voltage.

What are the benefits of apps2sd?

I've honestly never heard of it

AdamPA1006

Reaction score
Does it interfere with titanium backup? What about switching roms with apps on SD?

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
I actually think it will slow down the phone because the sdcard is slower than internal memory. Therefor any app on the sdcard is going to be slower (maybe even problematic) than if it was on the internal memory. I kinda think of it like a PC, install an app on the internal SATA hard drive. Then install that app on an external USB drive. USB is slower than SATA, and thus will have degraded performance in comparison. With PCs oftentimes this won't matter to much, since USB is often faster than it needs to be for apps. But some of the more intense apps, specifically games, USB may be a limiting factor at times.

Apps2SD is really only beneficial to older phones with low amounts of internal memory (at least from my perspective), like the OG Droid. Droid X, D2, and most other newer phones have more internal memory making moving apps2sd rather pointless. The OG Droid only has ~100megs for apps, and there are some rather large ones out there. Google Earth and Homerunbattle3d both take up ~20megs of space each. There are some other fat apps as well (the FiOS remote and DVR app are bloated too :( ). The problem is, as I said resource hungry apps (often the big ones), run poorly on the sdcard. So you would have to move 10 little apps off, and hope they don't suffer performance in order to make room for one of those big apps.

Since apps2SD allows you to have more apps installed by allowing you to put some apps on the SD card. More apps in theory is going to slow down your phone. Just because you probably are going to be running more apps, maybe. As long as you are under the recommended memory allocation and apps aren't starting themselves for no reason, you shouldn't notice a difference between 20 apps and 200 apps. But in theory this could be a bad thing.

This is at least my perspective and experience with apps2sd. I haven't really tried the Froyo version, because there was only 2 apps that I can move to my sdcard that I have in my quick scan through my manage apps list. SetCPU, which I probably would never notice it was on there since it doesn't run a whole lot (I don't run the widget). And another was one of the dinky games I have, Sudoku or a card game, something really simplistic. Which once again I probably wouldn't notice if it was slow or not. My experience with Apps2SD came from Cyanogen back in the 2.1 days. It is implemented a little differently than the Froyo version, but still I would think results would be similar.

I just keep myself under the space constraints and have learned to live without Apps2SD. Also with root access you can push a few files into the system partition, without any performance hit.

Azurikai

Reaction score
The benefits of Apps2SD mostly are for freeing up your internal memory so you have the ability to have more applications. I am not much of a fan of the Apps2SD froyo style, i really would prefer if Cyanogen could get his old APPS2SD version running.

Palantirion

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a tutorial on how to forcibly move apps to SD on rooted Froyo? I have appstosd and it's fine as a convenience but useless if I want to move the behemoth Google Earth off the internal memory of my Droid.