Does anyone else have this issue??

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
My WiFi is locked down..turned off..not set to scan or anything...off..yet every dang time I go to Walmart...my phone is trying to connect with their network???

This feels intrusive..and I don't have this issue anywhere else...oh except one party city location in Houston... Is it just me??

jplemt

Reaction score
Do you have the Walmart app? Maybe it has some sort of location thing that tries to connect to the mother ship network?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Have you connected to their network in the past? I doubt it's a location issue probably more so the fact it sees their network and wants to connect

Note 4tified

OP
94lt1

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
No I don't have their app..and I've never connected with them before..they've tried to connect with me before...but I believe I found it..in WiFi and advanced...I had it all locked down except for "notify me of public networks".. Would've thought that wouldn't matter with WiFi off, and off everywhere else...

They need to stop trying to push us to WiFi ..we pay for our data usage...they can buzz off...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
What are your location settings like? If you allow it to scan for WiFi networks even when WiFi is off, then have it set to notify you of public WiFi, that might be a factor.

kmf1

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 7 Pro Verizon
There is an Always Scanning available, even when WiFi is off, that can be turned off in WiFi/Advanced settings.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I have never noticed it before @94lt1 , but will definitely keep an eye on my phone the next time I am at a Wally World store.

OP
94lt1

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
What are your location settings like? If you allow it to scan for WiFi networks even when WiFi is off, then have it set to notify you of public WiFi, that might be a factor.
Location settings are off..I turn it on only if I use GPS ..scanning is set to off, I know I had it locked down completely.. I find this odd..I know now it's locked down..buy if it happens again..I'm going to assume they reach out to all devices..which I feel is intrusive...

Doesn't happen at the gym , or anywhere else..except that party city and that one Walmart..party city hasn't happened since I told it to forget it..even though I never told the phone to remember party city's WiFi..

OP
94lt1

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Figured it out...its my Verizon phone security app..vzprotect..it is telling me that there is a suspicious WiFi that's not secure, available... I'm just trying to find out why its telling me anything when I'm not trying to connect with it???

It's like...there's a cop in the east bound lane with a radar trap..thanx but I'm headed west...or south...taking the exit..smdh

1coopgt

Reaction score
This right here ..... I had it all locked down except for "notify me of public networks"

OP
94lt1

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
This right here ..... I had it all locked down except for "notify me of public networks"
When it pops up..it keeps checking that by itself...I have it turned off..yet incan walk through those doors and it will pop up..

kmf1

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 7 Pro Verizon
What are the pros and cons of leaving Scanning Always Available enabled in the Advanced WiFi settings.

OP
94lt1

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I just found the setting in vzprotect that is causing the pop up..we t to Walmart..all is good now. Ticks me off that their stupid update added this little needless feature..

MarBearCat

Reaction score
What are the pros and cons of leaving Scanning Always Available enabled in the Advanced WiFi settings.

Biggest "con" I would think is a big battery drain.

=^.".^=

TDL1068

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo

Biggest con is that your data will be used anytime you have a poor Wi-Fi connection. I turned it off immediately after my first or second bill...