Dock and Screen Burn

Donsell

Reaction score
Is there any danger of screen burn when you use the dock? Most of the information doesn't change and as far as I can tell if you're plugged into a power outlet the screen stays on.

GolfProRM

Reaction score
LCD screens are not prone to screen burn in like CRT's and old plasma screens. Shouldn't be any issues

DaHarder

Reaction score
Screen Burn is typically an issue for CRTs, and not really a concern for LCDs.

Happy DROIDing​

Sp3aK

Reaction score
Well I think in theory it could happen. I know that my Panasonic plasma TV will shut itself off after a period of time so it doesn't get stuck on an image. The DVD player also has a built in "screensaver".

I can't imagine they would purposefully build an accessory like this knowing it would be an issue. I think it would have to go days on the same screen to get image burn on an LCD.

mitchb2

Reaction score
Rather than burn-in, I'm kind of concerned about burning out the backlight(s), even if it's dim.

Is that a concern?

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Plasmas can get screen burn (which is even less today with new Plasmas). The Droid screen is not going to. Not a theory, it just won't happen.

Diggs

Reaction score
What am I missing?

When I put my Droid in the Multimedia dock, the screen still goes dark after 2 minutes. How do I make it stay on while in the dock. It stays up when I am in nav in the car.

Diggs

Jakkzen

Reaction score
I'm guessing you will have to just turn off the auto sreen off timer on the screen settings.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
To make the screen stay on go to.... hit Menu button > Settings > Applications > Development > select 'Stay Awake' when charging.

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
LCD screens are not prone to screen burn in like CRT's and old plasma screens. Shouldn't be any issues

Screen Burn is typically an issue for CRTs, and not really a concern for LCDs.

Sorry to burst your bubbles gentlemen but your statements are not entirely accurate; one of my jobs is testing monitors at a VA hospital for DICOM compliance. It took them several years to decide that monitor power management was worth doing and I failed dozens of monitors for "ghosting." It didn't matter what the monitor was supposed to display, you could see a very distinct but slightly transparent "ghost" of the start bar and some of the icons from the desktop when anything but the desktop was displayed.

Granted, these monitors were left running with the desktop displayed for hours and hours per day for years, but LCD's are not immune to burn-in, ghosting, or whatever you choose to call it.

As soon as they began forcing the screensavers, the problem disappeared, assuming the ghosting was not already apparent. Once the problem occurred, the monitor permanently displayed the ghost image. No new instances of ghosting occurred after the screensaver was activated.

silverx10

Reaction score
People keep telling me that LCD's are immune from screen burn.

Yeah, tell that to my LCD display I had a year or so ago. Left the screen on for hours at a time, and eventually, the image of my wallpaper got burned into it.

Still, the screen on the DROID seems pretty resilient by comparison. And I see no signs of screen burn thus far.

ice456789

Reaction score
LCD's do suffer from screen burn, but the newer it is the longer it takes to burn in. Perhaps 5 years from now you might have an issue with your droid burning in, but by then you'll probably be using the Droid 3. So really not much of an issue for your cell phone.