Do your non-droid friends complain about receiving unreadable SMS?

Gafzini

Reaction score
Do your non-droid using friends complain about receiving unreadable or garbled SMS? Do they receive messages that look like this:

" ?h?i? ?h?o?w?s? ?t?h?i?n?g?s?? "

Or any other weird symbols throughout the text?
Do you have any examples ?

brando56894

Reaction score
My mom got a text from me (on her old, "dumb" phone) that said "EMS" and being the overly protecting woman that she is she thought it meant "Emergency Medical Services" and she sent me one back saying "what does EMS mean?" when I never sent it to her in the first place, she tried to send it back but it was blank when I got it. I tried to send her one with a "foreign" character (an umlaut over an "a") and the text was blank when she got it, I couldnt recreate the EMS message though.

its.mike

Reaction score
I found that their is a certain sequence of latin characters that I can send my mom or my girl that will cause their phones to reboot. Makes for some amusing times.

OP
G

Gafzini

Reaction score
My mom got a text from me (on her old, "dumb" phone) that said "EMS" and being the overly protecting woman that she is she thought it meant "Emergency Medical Services" and she sent me one back saying "what does EMS mean?" when I never sent it to her in the first place, she tried to send it back but it was blank when I got it. I tried to send her one with a "foreign" character (an umlaut over an "a") and the text was blank when she got it, I couldnt recreate the EMS message though.

EMS stands for Enhanced Message Service. Basically any message over the 160 SMS limit is an EMS message.

Taegost

Reaction score
I just heard this from a friend the other day, I thought it may have been with her service. I also noticed recently that I've been getting duplicate texts every now and then, usually about the same time that they tell me I sent a weird message

kristoff125

Reaction score
I found that their is a certain sequence of latin characters that I can send my mom or my girl that will cause their phones to reboot. Makes for some amusing times.

What is this sequence and what kind of phones do they have.
Do you know one for the BBStorm or storm2?

Darkseider

Reaction score

You REALLY have to share this. I mean like share this yesterday kind of information.

les017

Reaction score
Ive only had one iPhone user complain when I sent him a URL. Hmmmm, special characters seem to be an issue

Taegost

Reaction score
Heh, I'm very interested to find out what that combination is as well :)
As far as the garbled messages go, the ones that I was told about the other day only had a comma and/or apostrophe, no other special characters.

jshayden

Reaction score
When sending messages to an iPhone containing a "~", the "~" is simply dropped from the message. This has made for quite a bit of confusions trying to send certain URLs.

When sending messages to an iPhone containing a "—", they receive something very similar to what is shown in the original post.

I haven't really tested this to any phones other than the iPhone—I plan on doing so tonight—but there is no problem sending this to another Android device.

I'm using a Droid X, by the way.

Has anyone figured any of this out?

EDIT: Some iPhones simply reject messages containing "—".

EDIT2: The problem seems to be with ANY special character, including all accented characters. This is, indeed, an annoying an unacceptable problem.

HarvesterX™

Reaction score
I was able to crash my girl's lg env3. I had typed something not too appropriate to share here in Google Translate, then converted to Spanish, then I copied and pasted it into a message. I ended up spending an entire day learning about that stupid lg env3 and how to fix it (it would turn on, nut reboot after a random amount of time - never stayed on long enough to be usable. Finally flashed some new software onto the phone and got it working but it was a headache, quite literaly lol

rruggier

Reaction score
unreadable SMS adding ? between every character

I have this problem all of the time, mainly when sending to iPhone but not limited to iPhones. Many times ? (question marks) are added between every character I type. For example "this is a test" would read "?t?h?i?s???i?s???a???test?" Rarely do I use special characters when sending sms. Hope this helps with your debug.