DLNA connect trouble

hugheser

Reaction score
Just upgraded from Droid 2 global to Razr M. I know the DLNA app is gone for android and the features are integrated into apps.
My problem is I have not been able to connect to my TVersity server (2.2) using any method. It works fine with my droid 2 and Samsung TV. I have tried many apps, uBubble, vPlayer, Media House, Skifta, Tversity player.

None of the Media Sharing functions have been successful-such as
1) the Play to function in the gallery
2)Shared files never show up in windows network map
3)uBubble media server running on the Razr M does not show up to other devices

Why would something that worked so simply (DLNA) stop being supported? Im sorry if this more of a ICS+ issue but doesnt seem like others are having the same issues.

Spey

Reaction score
Not sure that I truly understand your question(s), but maybe there's a solution in my comments below that you could apply.
I have/had not previously run DLNA on a device before, and have been wanting to get this process completed for myself now running DLNA compatible device.
I am running Razr M on the OTA JB release, but believe DLNA use was similar on ICS (I could try on 2nd device I have still running ICS if needed).

I am guessing the answer to your question is "Enabling Media Share on my device" (on the Razr M).

To run DLNA on my device: (This worked for me first try)
WiFi must be on Razr M - Desired playback device must be on (both network connected to same network)
Razr M - Go to all settings/More/Media share Settings/enable - Media share/
Enabling Media Share on my device automatically starts a search for ALL Media Share Devices on my network (4 at the moment as I write this).
Allow any/all the devices that you want to be able to select playback to.
On Razr M display what you want on the device (a photo in my example here).Touch the Playback Button (menu-bar above the photo).
"Play on media device" window should open containing Playback Device options (and/all locations that you can playback to).
Select where you want photo to play ( [TV]Den in my case plays the photo on our living-room LED/TV).
I can now opt to scroll through the photos in this photo-galley (watching on both the Razr M & the Flat Screen LED/TV).

Should be same basic process for photo, movie, music, etc.

Hopefully, this helps get things working for you.
Regards,

Our network connected LED (in living-room flat screen under Input Sources), I select XT907 (my Razr M) and the two devices are effectively connected

OP
H

hugheser

Reaction score
Not sure that I truly understand your question(s), but maybe there's a solution in my comments below that you could apply.
I have/had not previously run DLNA on a device before, and have been wanting to get this process completed for myself now running DLNA compatible device.
I am running Razr M on the OTA JB release, but believe DLNA use was similar on ICS (I could try on 2nd device I have still running ICS if needed).

I am guessing the answer to your question is "Enabling Media Share on my device" (on the Razr M).

To run DLNA on my device: (This worked for me first try)
WiFi must be on Razr M - Desired playback device must be on (both network connected to same network)
Razr M - Go to all settings/More/Media share Settings/enable - Media share/
Enabling Media Share on my device automatically starts a search for ALL Media Share Devices on my network (4 at the moment as I write this).
Allow any/all the devices that you want to be able to select playback to.
On Razr M display what you want on the device (a photo in my example here).Touch the Playback Button (menu-bar above the photo).
"Play on media device" window should open containing Playback Device options (and/all locations that you can playback to).
Select where you want photo to play ( [TV]Den in my case plays the photo on our living-room LED/TV).
I can now opt to scroll through the photos in this photo-galley (watching on both the Razr M & the Flat Screen LED/TV).

Should be same basic process for photo, movie, music, etc.

Hopefully, this helps get things working for you.
Regards,

Our network connected LED (in living-room flat screen under Input Sources), I select XT907 (my Razr M) and the two devices are effectively connected

To clarify I am also running the OTA JB release and follow the same steps as you mentioned above but when I enable the media share it does not automatically search for devices and when I manually search for devices none are listed. I am still unable to share media from the phone or connect to DLNA devices.

Update: I have been able to access TVersity media server with the android TVersity Player app but only by manually inputting the server IP/PORT.

On my droid 2 I can even copy files to my phone using the DLNA app. I think that is out of the question for the new devices.

Spey

Reaction score
I thought in your earlier email you had stated something about running ICS vs. JB on your Razr M.

I am unfamiliar with TVersity, and very green behind the ears (noob) with DLNA. But, DLNA seemed to setup and run as I had expected very easily the first time I tried to use it about an hour ago. I have not experience with DLNA previous to Razr M.

I can Remote Desktop and copy things back and forth via shared network settings, but I did not understand coping things back & forth to be a feature of DLNA (I thought DLNA was just playing, displaying, listening to stuff from one device to another). Is there a chance you might be confusing Network Access and Sharing features with DLNA feature specific stuff ...? I know that any/all devices that you want to use "DLNA" on/with must be "DLNA equipped". I could network share things before devices were DLNA equipped. I am just wondering if the devices you are trying to DLNA with are actually DLNA certified devices (hope that consideration makes sense) and/or if you previously were actually using DLNA technology or just network sharing features of your devices?

Sounds like you think the issues are related to pre-ICS DLNA vs. post-ICS & JB DLNA support. Someone else will need to step in on those questions. I just wanted to let you know that DLNA was working on Razr OTA JB for another member as a point of reference.