"Display only contacts with mobile numbers" -- Gone from ICS?

altjx

Reaction score
I remember the dialer used to have a "phonebook" tab at the top that showed all of your contacts, and this allowed you to go to the settings and display contacts that only have mobile numbers... I can't find this anymore in ICS .211. It appears that the phonebook has been removed and now you can only use the "People" app.

that being said, now I have a list full of email addresses and all type of unnecessary contacts. Is there any way to filter by just people with mobile numbers anymore?

Reaction score
I've been searching and there doesn't appear to be an option to do this anymore. I ended up just going in and manually removing all the contacts without phone numbers.

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
I've been searching and there doesn't appear to be an option to do this anymore. I ended up just going in and manually removing all the contacts without phone numbers.

Ah, that truly sucks. I wonder whose bright idea was that. >_<

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2.

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
My contacts will forever be screwed thanks to this. I have way too many contacts and way too much trash to be manually doing anything. Would at least be helpful if there was a batch option.

Reaction score
altjx said:
My contacts will forever be screwed thanks to this. I have way too many contacts and way too much trash to be manually doing anything. Would at least be helpful if there was a batch option.

If most of your trash contacts are in Google you can go to Google.com/contacts and do a batch removal there

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
This is one of a few changes I've been questioning.

If most of your trash contacts are in Google you can go to Google.com/contacts and do a batch removal there

Yeah its most of the weirdest things of all. I actually manage my contacts most of the time from Google.com/contacts, but I have google+, Facebook, linkedin contacts in there with no numbers too (some of them)

Reaction score
altjx said:
Yeah its most of the weirdest things of all. I actually manage my contacts most of the time from Google.com/contacts, but I have google+, Facebook, linkedin contacts in there with no numbers too (some of them)

You can choose not to show those at all then transfer the ones you do care about to Google

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
You can choose not to show those at all then transfer the ones you do care about to Google

Bleh... I'll work on it some more in the morning lol. Thanks.

ripper2860

Reaction score
I remember the dialer used to have a "phonebook" tab at the top that showed all of your contacts, and this allowed you to go to the settings and display contacts that only have mobile numbers... I can't find this anymore in ICS .211. It appears that the phonebook has been removed and now you can only use the "People" app.

that being said, now I have a list full of email addresses and all type of unnecessary contacts. Is there any way to filter by just people with mobile numbers anymore?

Download the free EX Dialer from the Play store. It is a very good replacement dialer and still allows you to show or hide contacts without numbers. I still use it over the ICS dialer and I believe the EX Dialer ICS theme is also free.

Note: EX Dialer includes Contacts EX which is integrated with EX Dialer and is also a stand-alone contacts replacement.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.modoohut.dialer&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5tb2Rvb2h1dC5kaWFsZXIiXQ..

Last edited:
OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
Download the free EX Dialer from the Play store. It is a very good replacement dialer and still allows you to show or hide contacts without numbers. I still use it over the ICS dialer and I believe the EX Dialer ICS theme is also free.

Note: EX Dialer includes Contacts EX which is integrated with EX Dialer and is also a stand-alone contacts replacement.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.modoohut.dialer&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5tb2Rvb2h1dC5kaWFsZXIiXQ..

Thanks!

Ricebandit

Reaction score
Got it.

I just figured this one out. Open the "People" app. Bring up the menu >> accounts >> tap the account you want to remove (ie. Facebook). Bring up the menu and click "remove account". I only wanted my gmail contacts so i removed all others.

gibson99

Reaction score
I just figured this one out. Open the "People" app. Bring up the menu >> accounts >> tap the account you want to remove (ie. Facebook). Bring up the menu and click "remove account". I only wanted my gmail contacts so i removed all others.

That only works if you go thru your gmail contacts and clean out all the ones without phone numbers. And when you've been using gmail as long as i have (from when it was by invitation only!) You tend to have a LOT of people in there. This simple filter removal was just plain stupid. I'm about to try that ex dialer to see how it looks.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
One thing to note about the non-stock dialers is there have been reports that you cannot dial 911 from them, so something to test and think about when using one of those.

gibson99

Reaction score
One thing to note about the non-stock dialers is there have been reports that you cannot dial 911 from them, so something to test and think about when using one of those.

How does one go about "testing" a 911 call? i'd be worried they'd fine me for abusing the system or making a false call. i know they have some leeway of course - a few years ago our toddler picked up my wife's phone and hit the emergency call button on screen - wife thought she hung up before it connected, but apparently not - 911 called back and after explaining it, they said ok but don't let it happen again. since then we had to disable the PIN/pattern locks on our phones so there wouldn't be an emergency button for the kiddo to press. sucks, but if you have kids, i'm sure you'd understand.

well so far i much prefer this EX dialer over the stock ICS one on my d4. now if only i could replace the screen shown when someone calls me. i don't have photos for any of my contacts so i have to squint at the tiny dark gray on black writing to find the person's name. not very good while driving!

so far the only thing i like about ICS over GB is the stock browser, data usage reports, and the ability to disable stock bloatware without rooting (but i still root so i can have TiBu). honestly, i could do without those and go back to GB and be happy.

Last edited: