Display Droid X in Landscape Mode.

pointzero1

Reaction score
So, I'm looking into VZW phones to get ready to switch to my new phone this weekend and just a few minutes ago I was looking through Youtube videos of Droid phones and found this cool little video.

[video=youtube;SL__Fi3Ep6k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL__Fi3Ep6k]YouTube - Droid X Tips #2: Enabling Dock Mode without a Dock[/video]

90% of the video talks about an app that allows you to activate the alarm dock mode without the purchasing the physical dock. However, at the end, you find out that this app also allows you to display your Droid X screen in landscape mode, which I thought was a pretty cool added functionality.

I don't own a Droid X, so I don't know if this is true, but apparently by default you can only use the display in portrait mode?

KevinWP

Reaction score
That's correct. The Droid X 2.1 Launcher does not allow you to use the landscape home screens unless it thinks you are in a dock (Bug, Feature, Oversight? You Decide).

I installed Launcher Pro as a replacement launcher/home screen program... it allows you to use the home screens in landscape mode.

Perhaps a future update will turn on landscape 'Droid X Stock' launcher mode? I don't know.

Parasol

Reaction score
I don't get it. The Droid (1) by Moto, I was able to get into landscape mode by just flipping it to the correct orientation. Why not Droid X? I think somewhere in the (hidden?) settings they disabled this.

Barryvabeach

Reaction score
Thanks for the Great tip - I just used it and it turns the dialer into landscape so you can operate the keys to scroll through voice mail. One downside, I couldn't get cardock to load as an app.

KevinWP

Reaction score
Check out "Dock Simulator"in the market. Its a free app to trigger both Car and Multimedia dock modes.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Go with the free LauncherPro. It lets you go into landscape mode and not just the dock mode. The Droid1 was able to go into landscape mode because of the physical keyboard. the DX is only virtual. Most apps can go landscape, but the main home screen can't by default. LauncherPro is amazing and can do it.

throwscoach

Reaction score
quick question on Launcher Pro in landscape mode. Is there a way so that the wallpaper in landscape mode doesn't just show the top of the wallpaper and you can select what it shows? It really isn't necessary, but it would be a nice convenience.

Thanks.