[Discussion] Do we need a kill switch?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

01--Green-Android-Army.jpg

There is legislation in discussion to force smartphone companies to install a kill switch in case of theft.

What is your opinion?

Personally, though I understand the concern of people that are for it, I have to say I am divided in how I feel about the move. On one hand we use our phones to do everything and it contain our lives within it so I would understand why someone would want the extra step in place to protect that information. With that said there are apps and encryption technology already out that will protect your information. I do not think it is necessary to force a smartphone company to put a switch in a device because there are already means to protect your phone via lock screen, reporting it stolen to prevent someone from using it, and remotely wipe the device with protection apps. I think we would be better suited to teach people how to use those features vs have the government demand a company do something we can do ourselves.

Am I saying there is no need for one.... no, but why not allow that to be up to the manufacturer plus how do you implement that? If you make it a switch on the device itself then what happens when someone's kid accidentally push it while playing a children's game. If you make it via software then how would that be different from what we have now? And it by dialing a number then why not make it where that number will deactivate the phone from the network. Am I missing a scenario where the kill switch is needed?

Last edited:

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Sure, as long as there is strict laws in place that says unless I report my phone stolen it can be deactivated. If you miss a bill, they shouldn't be able to deactivate it. If you committed a crime, it shouldn't be deactivated. If you and your significant other break up, you shouldn't be able to report the other person's phone as stolen to screw with them, the owner of the phone (not the account) needs to report it stolen. I see so many ways this power​ can be abused for the wrong reasons.

livinginkaos

Reaction score
Your vehicle has a kill switch if it's not too old... ..

Just saying....

Sent From My DEV X

Beardface

Reaction score
Sure, as long as there is strict laws in place that says unless I report my phone stolen it can be deactivated. If you miss a bill, they shouldn't be able to deactivate it. If you committed a crime, it shouldn't be deactivated. If you and your significant other break up, you shouldn't be able to report the other person's phone as stolen to screw with them, the owner of the phone (not the account) needs to report it stolen. I see so many ways this power​ can be abused for the wrong reasons.
Yuuuuup. As nice as this sounds, I can only see this going wrong.A kill switch will only get abused by the service providers. Late for your bill? Killswitch. Find out your device has been rooted? Killswitch. Try to unlock your phone to take to another carrier? Automatic killswitch. And then dialing of a special number to kill your device? Whats to stop a telemarketer robomarketer from accidentally dialing that number and killing your device?Too many ways for this to be abused. Only one way for it to work properly.

jtpowell

Reaction score
Yuuuuup. As nice as this sounds, I can only see this going wrong.A kill switch will only get abused by the service providers. Late for your bill? Killswitch. Find out your device has been rooted? Killswitch. Try to unlock your phone to take to another carrier? Automatic killswitch. And then dialing of a special number to kill your device? Whats to stop a telemarketer robomarketer from accidentally dialing that number and killing your device?Too many ways for this to be abused. Only one way for it to work properly.

Double true. The kill switch is for them not you.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Unless by "kill" you mean soft brick or whatever....If a phone company wants to, they can void your contract and turn-off your service whenever they want.

Otherwise agree there are already other options out there. Not sure it really matters given all the capabilities the NSA already has.

jspradling7

Reaction score
If my phone was stolen I'd just call Verizon and have them suspend service until I got another phone. I thought ESN numbers could already be trashed. I'm missing something here.

livinginkaos

Reaction score
Killing the esn keeps it from being activated on the network, but the device will function otherwise

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
The legislation is to curb thugs from stealing your phone, the point they refuse to acknowledge is that the thugs want your phone so you can't call the cops right away. Oh, and yes they will sell it on CL for $ too. IMO no kill switch needed, we have many options already if we want.

Sent from my DUM phone using Droid Forums

dgreekva

Reaction score
Did we really need or want the Presidential 'emergency alert' either? The voices who don't want this need to be louder than the tweet that broke Twitter. It was just a picture of celebs, this is real life.

Misdirection is rampant anymore with everyone being sold on benefits that sound nice on the surface. As folks are saying here, it will be used for far more restricting purposes and not just to brick a stolen phone. We can already do that if we want now via the free market apps!

Get loud now or get 'killed' when trying to speak on YOUR phone later.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Your vehicle has a kill switch if it's not too old... ..

Just saying....

Sent From My DEV X

Really... I'm pretty sure you can install a kill switch, and the EU is working on this tech... but it's not in your vehicle right now.

While I believe some conspiracies are indeed true, this one is a bit out there.

jimmya

Reaction score
My 2013 f250 has a kill switch. It started a countdown last week and shut itself off because a sensor went out. Called Ford and they told me they can also turn it off if I report it stolen. Didn't know that when I bought it.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Since the OBD (On Board Diagnostics) system has been implemented legal battles have ensued stopping the government at OBD II. OBD III would give the powers that be the power to disable your OBD III car at will, among other devious things. And yes most cars have "said" kill switches. OnStar, etc. can shut the CPU down at your or other authorized (read into that law enforcement etc.) Persons request.

Sent from my DUM phone using Droid Forums

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
I suppose the question is, what would this "kill switch" do that third-party or-in some cases-native apps don't already do?

I just discovered that if you go to the Play Store on a PC, you can go into the settings, select Android Device Manager, and sign in (if you aren't already) and from there you can locate, ring, lock, or erase your device. I guess I missed the memo as to when that became available but I just found that as I was switching over from my Galaxy Nexus to my Moto X a couple weeks ago. Kinda handy that Google has implemented that in the event of the worst.

So what would a "kill switch" do? Just completely kill the device, rendering it 100% useless? Apply it's own internal EMP or something?

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I suppose the question is, what would this "kill switch" do that third-party or-in some cases-native apps don't already do?

I just discovered that if you go to the Play Store on a PC, you can go into the settings, select Android Device Manager, and sign in (if you aren't already) and from there you can locate, ring, lock, or erase your device. I guess I missed the memo as to when that became available but I just found that as I was switching over from my Galaxy Nexus to my Moto X a couple weeks ago. Kinda handy that Google has implemented that in the event of the worst.

So what would a "kill switch" do? Just completely kill the device, rendering it 100% useless? Apply it's own internal EMP or something?

Yeah that was my point in saying we already have countless measures in place whether it be via Google or 3rd party apps. I am not saying get rid of the kill switch idea I am saying the person who should have their finger on it should be the customer vs the carrier or oem who may abuse such power. Plus you know vzw and other carriers are going to add another fee on our bill to cover a kill switch that allows them to shut off the phone when they choose. And that is why I am against the legislation as it does not fix the issue any better than what we already have in place.