disappearing sms messages

darreno1

Reaction score
^^I'm with Jay on this one, people seem way way too quick to use ATK to kill tasks without realizing they may be needed for proper operation of the OS.

I use the txt messaging app quite frequently and have yet to have an issue.

Macen

Reaction score
I have erased a lot of my apps and still have problem and I let The task manager do its job. I don't feel comfortable ending most process unless I know exactly what it does. Many people have the same problem I have. It's all over the internet, that's how I found this forum after searching Google. Next step for is to back up my contacts and pics and do a factory default reset. And if problem persists then its time for a new phone. This may just be a small bug with a New phone which is normal on the market. It takes us the customers to put input in so the company knows where any problems are. I love this phone and would not trade for a new make or model. For it does as much as most PC's with only a few things it doesn't, very few. This only a minor problem that may not have anything to do with the system, but may only have something to do with one of the apps I have installed conflicting with the text message system. When I do the Factory Default Reset I wil know for sure. This phone possessed this qwirk in the first week of owning 3 days after release date, like I said this phone is worth the problem, its only minor. I just now went to check a new message and it was gone before I could read, it is annoying.

navydoc

Reaction score
Tonight out of nowhere and without warning all of my saved text messages disappeared. I am using handcent, have delete old messages disabled on the native app, and had about 1018 messages stored. A lot, but nowhere near capacity of the memory card. I wonder if this is an issue with the software or the network.

wwspeeds

Reaction score
All my SMSs have disappeared 3 times now

Bought the Droid approximately 3 weeks ago. Have gotten all the updates. I have never installed Handcent, but I had installed the "SMS unread count" app.

Since day one my settings have dictated no limit on my SMS messages and to never delete anything.

The first time happened one week ago. My Droid froze up, so unable to reset it, I had to pull the battery out. Once i replaced it, all my messages were gone. I can't remember what I was doing to make the Droid freeze, because it had never behaved poorly until then.

The last 2 times happened close together, within the past week. During both times, I was using the messaging app, and recevied a "SMS Unread Count app had unexpectedly quit" error which forced me to close. Immediately after that, I found all my messages had been purged. I have since deleted that particular application (yesterday) and am waiting for it to happen again.

Looking for a good SMS backup app.

-ww

ipawd1

Reaction score
Bought the Droid approximately 3 weeks ago. Have gotten all the updates. I have never installed Handcent, but I had installed the "SMS unread count" app.

Since day one my settings have dictated no limit on my SMS messages and to never delete anything.

The first time happened one week ago. My Droid froze up, so unable to reset it, I had to pull the battery out. Once i replaced it, all my messages were gone. I can't remember what I was doing to make the Droid freeze, because it had never behaved poorly until then.

The last 2 times happened close together, within the past week. During both times, I was using the messaging app, and recevied a "SMS Unread Count app had unexpectedly quit" error which forced me to close. Immediately after that, I found all my messages had been purged. I have since deleted that particular application (yesterday) and am waiting for it to happen again.

Looking for a good SMS backup app.

-ww

mybackup pro

Macen

Reaction score
YAY! My problem is fixed. I was having a problem with disappearing Text messages and I was not using any text messaging app only the system that came with phone. So all I had to do since I couldn't figure which app Was most likely causing the problem I just did a factory default reset so it would erase all apps and data on my phone and now all is fine after a week or so since reset.

DroidFan

Reaction score
I just downloaded SMS Backup & Restore from the Market... backed up all my SMS to my SD card... worked perfectly!

kkwan77

Reaction score
also in the main sd dir i have this file mms_oom_hprof_data
anyone happen to know what this is?[/QUOTE]

does anyone know what this file is for? :icon_ banana:

Imemine

Reaction score
This just happened to me today for the first time since I bought the phone the day it came out. I have nothing checked to delete old messages. I might have been up there but it never warned me, it just deleted everything. There has to be something that causes this. I'm really upset because I had some important things saved in my text messages.

M

yamaha83

Reaction score
I had used task killer to turn the native Messaging app off - so turning it back on now to see if this fixes this issue. If not think, Handcent will have to go - which is a pity.

And therein lies your problem. Handcent and the Native app use the same data structures and underlying inforation. You cannot kill the native messaging application. You are saving nothing in memory and goofing up the underlying storage. Leave it be and you will see better results.

i get the same problem... get a notification that a new text has arived and i can see the sample... but when i open to read it is not there anymore... i cant find it in handcent or the normal mesaging app... and i dont even have a task killer installed cuz i think they are pointless... but i still get the random texts disapearing? i have also had them all get deleted for some random reason? only once though thankfully!

doublethrow

Reaction score
sms message deleted on open

Got a text today, but when I opened it, it was gone. I didn't catch the preview quick enough to tell who sent it. FAIL This is terrible. I uninstalled handcent. Why isn't anyone picking this up in the press. This is a basic and often used function of a phone.

And as previously mentioned, I lost ALL text messages last week.

Duc748s

Reaction score
Doesn't Google have something to where you can save/sync all your MMS and SMS to "the Cloud" like your e-mails?

Not really a SMS/MMS fiend so I haven't looked into it, but I thought I read it somewhere....

prettieboiblu

Reaction score
download g-backup it saved me from gettin a 3rd droid phone, cuz its nt a major problem bt its annoying this automatically backs up sms/pics/ pretty much everything directly 2 ur gmail account, spread this news 2 other threads thanx

Ixt

Reaction score
Got a text today, but when I opened it, it was gone. I didn't catch the preview quick enough to tell who sent it. FAIL This is terrible. I uninstalled handcent. Why isn't anyone picking this up in the press. This is a basic and often used function of a phone.

And as previously mentioned, I lost ALL text messages last week.

This same problem is happening to me, the only difference being that I'm using the default messaging app on the phone. I haven't had all of my texts deleted at random yet, but this problem is driving me up the wall. I basically ONLY text with my phone, so it's quite an annoyance as it happens at least 3 times a day.

I'm running BB .9 + Smoked Glass, if that information is relevant.

EDIT: I'm also using SMS Popup... I have a feeling that might have something to do with it, but we'll see.

Last edited: