Disable OTA Update for X2

MikeJ92YJ

Reaction score
Update.zip That's An Educated Guess. Look Inside Zip Files If You Don't Recognize The Name, Look For Folders With The System, Dev, Etc Those Kinda Things.

vvildcard

Reaction score
I think it is placed in /preinstall... But I could be wrong. I was able to block the OTA by freezing 2 Updater apps.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

rp076

Reaction score
Just curious what method do you use to freeze? I have the rooted gb and my phones still trying to update...thanks for any help

reaktorblue

Reaction score
I have a Droid X and a Droid X2 and ran into similar situations. I have the phone rooted and I'm very happy with the customizations that I have done to the phone running the stock ROM. Unfortunately, I received the OTA update and it automatically downloaded the update, which means that you'll get this nagging window every 2 hours or so asking you to install.

- I rooted my phone
- I removed some bloatware by renaming them *.apk to *.apk.bak (same as the below format but the below is important to prevent future updates)
- I renamed Fota.apk to Fota.apk.bak
- I renamed Upgrade.apk to Upgrader.apk.bak
- I allowed the update to attempt an install
- The update should FAIL because key files are missing. (they're renamed to .bak)
- After the update failed, I was never prompted again to re-download or re-install

Hope this helps you out. This worked for me on not only my Droid X but also on my Droid X2.

glennrocks

Reaction score
Thank you reaktorblue, worked like a charm. I didn't need to rename anything, though, as it said I didn't have the right permissions.

All I did was download the update, then used Bloat Freezer to freeze FOTA.apk and Updater.apk, and it hasn't prompted me to update since.
This was done on my Droid 2 which I use as my alarm clock, so if it restarts itself into recovery, my alarms don't go off. Thanks again.