Disable Ad-Blocking?

ooboob2

Reaction score
Hey, I love D1-MIUI, except for some reason something in the ROM refuses to let my podcasts download. Specifically, this one feed, IGN Games Podcasts. Every time I try, no matter what podcast feed I use, I get the same message. "Pheedo.com refused." something about the rom is blocking the ads pheedo uses in the feed. works perfectly fine on CM6.1.2, and any other ROM I've tried. I seriously love MIUI, and wanna use it full-time, but this thing is a dealbreaker. Is there any fix?

Calla969

Reaction score
I have a similar issue with a news app that I use. I would love a fix.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
O

ooboob2

Reaction score
yeah, it's an audio podcast. does not work through any app, as stated before.

Calla969

Reaction score
My news app just displays headlines and then takesyou to a website for the rest of the story. With this ROM it fails to take you to the other page. The app is wftv channel 9 orlando if anyone could verify the issue that would be great.

Version_3

Reaction score
The hosts file contains several entries for ign, thus suggesting that it is blocked. There is also an entry in the file for te.orlandosentinel.com (not sure if that's why the Channel 9 app is failing or not).

If you want to stop ad blocking, or remove these entries, the file is called hosts and it is in the /system/etc/ directory.
To replace it, back the file up, then edit the contents by removing everything within it, and adding only:
Code:
127.0.0.1		    localhost
Otherwise, edit and remove all lines that may contribute to what is being blocked, in this case, searching within the file for ign or orlando might give you some direction.

Calla969

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip Version_3.
I couldn't find the orlando sentinel entry in the hosts file, so I cleared the whole thing as an experiment..
Still can't see the news article

I also just realized that I can't add a period when typing. All other punctuating works.

Version_3

Reaction score
I'll be looking into it. I wanted to get my new laptop up and running with an android dev environment, but Linux is not playing too nicely with this specific model, so I'll be returning it this evening and picking up something new.

Once thing I did look into is the Orlando news 9 app, and it is blocked on my phone as well. The site is something like localwireless.com, and that isn't an entry in my hosts file. I'll dig deeper once I get my android dev setup going.

Calla969

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to confirm the issue and trying to assist. I appreciate it. For now I'm using Pulse, but I still would like the app to work.

Version_3

Reaction score
I have an experiment for someone who is having problems. I have linked to the hosts file from the ROM I built and am currently testing. The apps for both WFTV and WBNS both work with this hosts file.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10246506/hosts.txt

Backup your current hosts file in /system/etc/ and copy this one into place, removing the .txt on the file. After copying it into place, please reboot to recovery, wipe cache (just the cache, nothing else please!), then boot into the OS and test the app(s). If this doesn't work, then there is something deeper in Miui that might be doing it which I am not aware of.

Last edited:

jbobbitt

Reaction score
I have an experiment for someone who is having problems. I have linked to the hosts file from the ROM I built and am currently testing. The apps for both WFTV and WBNS both work with this hosts file.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10246506/hosts.txt

Backup your current hosts file in /system/etc/ and copy this one into place, removing the .txt on the file. After copying it into place, please reboot to recovery, wipe cache (just the cache, nothing else please!), then boot into the OS and test the app(s). If this doesn't work, then there is something deeper in Miui that might be doing it which I am not aware of.

I tried, didn't work, I also tried a blank hosts file too.
I am running the latest version of MIUI 12.31
Could it be something stupid with the browser?

Version_3

Reaction score
At this point, I am not sure. I hope someone who knows the internals of Miui can now help with this issue.

I do know using Miren as the default browser still gives the issue, so I cannot pass blame entirely onto the stock browser.

OP
O

ooboob2

Reaction score
@Version_3

Crap, I forgot about this topic and didn't realize others might still have problems. Your advice worked flawlessly. There were no entries for IGN in the hosts file, but there were two for pheedo and once gone everything is fine. Dunno bout the other apps, but I bet it's still the hosts file.

EX_PURIFIER_IV

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SM-J110G
I love downloads anime from anime chia but suddenly it says that it has a ad blocker and now refuse to let me to download any anime please help me i can't disable it #I currently using opera mini