Different colors for calendar events

awong2683

Reaction score
Does anyone know of an application designed for the calendar that allows the user to chose different colors for the events, similar to how the Palm's calendar worked?

Spartan

Reaction score
Only way I could do it was to set up multiple calendars on Google calendar. Then sync them all together. I have one for work, personal, meetings, my wife, etc. All show up on one calendar with multiple colors.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Only way I could do it was to set up multiple calendars on Google calendar. Then sync them all together. I have one for work, personal, meetings, my wife, etc. All show up on one calendar with multiple colors.

Can you give us details on how you did that? Sync the calendar? Did you do it on the phone or on google and what steps you took?

CYBER DROIID

Reaction score
Yea the really need to work on that I love my google calendar from my computer but from phone .......well that's another story.

Silver Member
Reaction score
since the phone lives in the cloud, everything is controlled online. if there are features and/or functionality that the phone can do, but you can't control, you can control it online. anything that you find your phone can't do, you should check online to see if you can do it there.

all of your calendar subscriptions and email labeling and forwarding is handled online.

currently, google doesn't support changing colors for specific events. you can create as many calendars as you want (online), but I'm not sure how you would force Outlook and Google Calendar Sync to point to what calendar. I think you would have to manage all of that online, which would be a nightmare.a

Spartan

Reaction score

Can you give us details on how you did that? Sync the calendar? Did you do it on the phone or on google and what steps you took?

In Google Calendar on your computer, go to the left hand side. Select my calendars and create. From there you will will have options to set up another calendar, choose color etc. Then go to your Droid Google calendar, choose menu, and then my calendars. Make sure the calendars you created are selected.

bdlagain

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this? Does it work? Before I set up multiple calendars I'd like to know.

Bull4595

Reaction score
yes it works...colors dont show up on the stock widget, dont know about others havent figured out which one to go with...any suggestions on that front would be welcome...but when you go into the app the different calendars show up with whatever color you selected for them online

hope that helps

bdlagain

Reaction score
Thanx alot! Now to go about creating 6 different calendars just to get different colored events lol.

nyijedi

Reaction score
If you're serious about calendar integration on your phone, you MUST download the following widget(s), both made by the same amazing developer:

Pure Calendar Widget - lists your upcoming agenda/tasks from your calendar. Lets you choose how big you want the calendar to be, so you can have only a few days, or over a week of events displayed.

Pure Grid Calendar Widget - great if you want a full screen calendar on one of your home screens. I use this to show colored bars througout the month for all of my different events (check out the sample pics in the market).

These are both paid widgets, but I can't express how amazing they are. I recommend them to everybody who uses google calendar.

Bull4595

Reaction score
nyijedi - the pure calendar widget sounds exactly the type of thing I'm looking for. But for the grid widget, what's the difference between that and the stock calendar app other than being able to put it on a homescreen since its a widget? I'm not sure if I have need (or room) for that but if its miles above what the app can do I might have to consider it...

JimmyD

Reaction score
If you're serious about calendar integration on your phone, you MUST download the following widget(s), both made by the same amazing developer:

Pure Calendar Widget - lists your upcoming agenda/tasks from your calendar. Lets you choose how big you want the calendar to be, so you can have only a few days, or over a week of events displayed.

Pure Grid Calendar Widget - great if you want a full screen calendar on one of your home screens. I use this to show colored bars througout the month for all of my different events (check out the sample pics in the market).

These are both paid widgets, but I can't express how amazing they are. I recommend them to everybody who uses google calendar.

Interesting. I wasn't aware of those apps!

I'm currently using a nice little widget that's similar to the "Pure Calendar Widget" you mentioned above.

It's called CalWidget and it's in the market for free! :)

I found a pic of it online showing just 3 (of many) ways to set how it shows on your Droid. (I'm using the 4x4 setting which takes up 1 whole homepage screen.... perfect for a quick glance at my work schedules!)
calwidget.jpg
calwidget.png

KarenElissa

Reaction score
I don't know that you need both, but I totally agree with the above poster, you need at least one of them.

I played with CalWidget and there are a couple of things I don't like as much as Pure Calendar. One, I like how Pure Cal shows the colors for the calendar in little bars on the side. It seems to show up better than writing with different colors on my background. I also like how Pure Cal will show everyday, even if I don't have an event that day. It makes it easier for me to see what is going on when at a glance.

bdlagain

Reaction score
I made the different calendars under google calendars, each a different color. Then downloaded Calendar Pad App for free. It totally integrated all the different calendars together & shows them all right on the month view, so I'm all set to go. It looks awesome & was free to boot! Thanx for all your help :)

nyijedi

Reaction score
nyijedi - the pure calendar widget sounds exactly the type of thing I'm looking for. But for the grid widget, what's the difference between that and the stock calendar app other than being able to put it on a homescreen since its a widget? I'm not sure if I have need (or room) for that but if its miles above what the app can do I might have to consider it...

I was using only the pure calendar widget for a few months - I just recently downloaded the grid widget when I got an extra screen from using a home replacement. I would definitely download the pure calendar widget at the very least.

As for the grid widget, the main difference - other than being able to put it on a homescreen as a widget - is that it displays events from different calendars in different colors. For example, in the stock calendar app, you'll get little bars for all of your events, but these bars are all the same color. In the grid widget, the colors will match the ones you have set in your calendar, so you'll see bars with different colors. I recommend it if you have an extra homescreen, otherwise, the pure calendar widget is likely enough for you.