Different Browsers - Short Review - Steel and Dolphin

bamfsig45

Reaction score
I have downloaded Steel Browser and Dolphin Browser. Currently trying them both out and both have their pros and cons.

The Dolphin Browser is I believe based off of firefox but I don t think they have it right yet. Zooming from what I can tell is only done by the zoom bar you see on the standard browser, no double tapping unless I missed a setting. Dolphin does have tabs and is skinable. It has the option to set how you want the pages emulated, android, desktop, or iphone.

The Steel Browser doesn't have tabs but can have multiple windows. They are easily switched between by swiping left or right like you would on our home screens. Or you can hit the window icon and view/select windows that way. I like the zooming features on this browser better than the Android or Dolphin broswer. You can double tap to zoom in/out or if you gently hold your finger on the screen, zoom controls appear around your finger, very cool and extremely easy. This browser also has the emulation choices like the Dolphin browser. The stock android browser lacks this option.

I think everyone should download the two browsers and decide for them selves. Right now my choice is the Steel Browser and that's just after 10 minutes of use. The lacking zooming function on the Dolphin browser has me turned off. I hope there is something I'm missing on that browser in regards to the zoom. The Steel Browser will replace the stock browser for now.

OP
bamfsig45

bamfsig45

Reaction score
i like the browser the phone comes with...

I like the stock browser too, but have you tried the Steel Browser? The only thing I dont like is the Bookmarks are not pretty but its no big deal, everything else I think is superior. The simple fact that you can change the way it draws a page (emulation) is enough for me.

OP
bamfsig45

bamfsig45

Reaction score
I havent had any force closes since I installed it. And the stock browser is polished but it comes with its limitations.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I prefer DolphinBrowser. i love using gestures to navigate the program....

also remember, neither of the two are optimized for the Droid 2.0 yet!

BzB

Reaction score
i've also found the stock browser to be very good for most of my needs. nice to have options though. swiping left or right to switch screens in the steel browser sounds like a cool feature.

moosc

Reaction score
I miss opera mini beta I had on the storm. I want a browser that fills up the screen compress it all to fit I really hate sliding around on o websight trying to read or reply and not see what I'm typing like this reply

Queers4Gears

Reaction score
Dolphin does the same zoom trick as the others, hold your finger down on screen, zoom keys pop up, slide up or down, easy to use..... i have been using the stock browser more though

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
The first browser to implement pinch/zoom will get my vote. Until then, I'm sticking with the stock browser. Coming from a curve 8330, the browser is amazing.

Droider

Reaction score
Can any one state the clear difference between those browsers? Is the one based on webkit and the other on gecko, or is it just handling and functionality?

Anyone seen a gecko-browser so far?

Tigger

I haven't looked at Dolphin yet but Steel is based on webkit just like the default browser.

mach330

Reaction score
i tried the dolphin browswer as well but didn't like lack of zoom by double tap. also, i noticed that even if i used the old stock browser, i also can't double tap to zoom unless i uninstall dolphin. anyone else notice this? gonna try steel in a bit.