Did Google Toss the X Phone back over the Wall to Motorola?

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
If this is true, I'm glad that Google it pushing Motorola to stop being such slackers and start making some devices that are worth a damn. Samsung is clearly being the most innovative with all the features they packed into the GS4. Plus Samsung seems to be putting a lot more effort into flexible displays.
Agreed, when I hear Moto is going to give us some "phones plus" it better darn well blow me away. Don't push out something that is just ANOTHER great Android smartphone. We got LG, Samsung and HTC already doing that for us.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Only problem with that is that the OTB experience would be "ho hum." The consumer likes a phone that can turn the oven on and light a fire if you are lost in the wilderness. Gimmicks sell phones (no pun intended) and Samsung understands that.

I have to be honest I love a ton of features baked into an OS. That's why I was a serial ROM flasher back in the day :) "Give me features even if I wont use em!!" :big smile:

Who doesn't like to show their phone can do back flips just by clapping their hands?

That's true.. So then load the phone, but make it so there's a way to remove all the crap we want.. That way the otb has wow, pop, and flash.. And then when you're tired of it, it can be a stock vanilla hot rod.. With an on board laser hot dog roaster

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Only problem with that is that the OTB experience would be "ho hum." The consumer likes a phone that can turn the oven on and light a fire if you are lost in the wilderness. Gimmicks sell phones (no pun intended) and Samsung understands that.

I have to be honest I love a ton of features baked into an OS. That's why I was a serial ROM flasher back in the day :) "Give me features even if I wont use em!!" :big smile:

Who doesn't like to show their phone can do back flips just by clapping their hands?

Nothing wrong with the gimmicks but let me decide if I want it or not . I'm in the middle where I don't neccasarily want clean android but I don't need every gimmick either. Some gimmicks I may find useful so I'll install it where others I may want to pass on. With aroma users who install a ROM have a choice what system apps (gimmicks) they want and what they want left out. Some one who use their phone primarily for business may prefer certain things versus those who use it for calls and entertainment. Since every one is different allow users the choice. If I choose to sacrifice space and efficiency for every cool gimmick that is my choice where another user may want to keep their device lean with only the gimmicks they need.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Sounds like you guys essentially would like a handset that had something like a Facebook Home UI on it. (it can be removed to run a Vanilla Android experience)

FB Home was only an example because its a UI but I think you get the idea :)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Sounds like you guys essentially would like a handset that had something like a Facebook Home UI on it. (it can be removed to run a Vanilla Android experience)

FB Home was only an example because its a UI but I think you get the idea :)

Ck YouTube clean ROM with aroma installer. That may give you a better idea.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Nevermind ... Ignore this post ...

Last edited:

themuttt

Reaction score
Agreed, when I hear Moto is going to give us some "phones plus" it better darn well blow me away. Don't push out something that is just ANOTHER great Android smartphone. We got LG, Samsung and HTC already doing that for us.
and that's why I think the rumor has some validity, Google doesn't just want another phone that keeps up with the Jonses, that's not how they do things. They want a phone that makes people drop whatever phone they have and run to their phone. Moto can't just ride along on a big battery like they have for the last few years, that's just not enough for their bosses at Google.

skennelly

Reaction score
See, there's an example where Google should leverage the partnership and take-over updates directly (basically all Moto devices would be "Nexus" phones). Problem is Google is on record to not favor Moto over other partners like that.

My issue is I have the apps and settings I prefer. While HTC and the others have some nice features, widgets and apps I already have what I need. I'm about function. So I prefer vanilla Android.

I agree, but Moto not adding blur and leaving the phone vanilla android doesn't really show preferential treatment.

Imo, manufacturers add their skins as a way to differentiate them from other manufacturers. Samsung thinks that we buy their phones for all their "cool" features.

If Moto made pure vanilla phones and just "happen" to receive updates first, maybe this would push other manufacturers to get out of the software business and focus 100% of their efforts on hardware. Does anyone really care about sharing playlists by bumping phones? I don't think so. If they do, leave it to the app developers to make apps for this.

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
and that's why I think the rumor has some validity, Google doesn't just want another phone that keeps up with the Jonses, that's not how they do things. They want a phone that makes people drop whatever phone they have and run to their phone. Moto can't just ride along on a big battery like they have for the last few years, that's just not enough for their bosses at Google.
Exactly, plus imagine the backlash if they pushed out a phone that was pretty similar to the S4, HTC One and Optimus G2. "All that hype and you give the consumer this?" They would take a beating across every tech blog in cyberspace including all the members here :) I wouldn't even want to see that mess. Maybe the X Phone will end up as another Droid (similiar to the Bionic situation) and the project continues in development, I don't know. I'm sure there will be more rumors to come..."it's true" "it's not true" "this is the X phone" "no that wasn't the x phone" "it's been cancelled" no it hasn't" "it appears it's coming!" "Wait there are delays" "X phone coming soon!" "Wait..this doesn't look good"

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Exactly, plus imagine the backlash if they pushed out a phone that was pretty similar to the S4, HTC One and Optimus G2. "All that hype and you give the consumer this?" They would take a beating across every tech blog in cyberspace including all the members here :) I wouldn't even want to see that mess. Maybe the X Phone will end up as another Droid (similiar to the Bionic situation) and the project continues in development, I don't know. I'm sure there will be more rumors to come..."it's true" "it's not true" "this is the X phone" "no that wasn't the x phone" "it's been cancelled" no it hasn't" "it appears it's coming!" "Wait there are delays" "X phone coming soon!" "Wait..this doesn't look good"

Yep this looks like it is the beginning of yet another VZW Galaxy Nexus clusterf*ck, just give me a vanilla android that I can flash with what I want and timely updates along with a good camera and radio.

And include accessories that will support those features.

I'm not falling for the hype again like I did with the Nexus... we all saw how everybody got screwed with that phone.