Developers

Zeroz20

Reaction score
What kind of computer background do the most successful developers have? Like if i wanted to go to school to help me understand software development kits and source codes for Android, what types of classes would i need to be in, be as specific as you can my fellow Droiders! thanks!

harrellj

Reaction score
Not sure for your answer, but if you just want to play around with making an app, sign up for App Inventor: http://appinventor.googlelabs.com/. It was recently (like within the last couple of days), made completely public unlike the previous method which required requesting an account and waiting for approval. App Inventor is basically a WYSIWYG editor for the Android OS, and its quite powerful. However, it doesn't do widgets.

OP
Zeroz20

Zeroz20

Reaction score
im basically extremely raw when it comes to this stuff, im just curious about ways to learn, the best ways to learn for someone of my non-experience

iPirate

Reaction score
I first thought you meant the computer desktop background LOL

In general Java is helpful, degree in CS or EE/CE would be good too.

As for classes, java basics, data structures, database management, and graphics. Taking specific courses for Android development seems like a waste; the difference between Android and Java are very minor and Java will look better on your resume than Android.

harrellj

Reaction score
Ahh, that I really don't know. If you don't get a useful response here, you might get more luck in another subforum, but can't guarantee it.

CoolBreeze

Reaction score

Taking specific courses for Android development seems like a waste; the difference between Android and Java are very minor and Java will look better on your resume than Android.

Sorry I disgree with the above statement somewhat. Mobile Development is on the increase and has been the past couple years, since the iPhone really kicked mobile development in high gear. While it is true that you are much more likely to get a job as a Java developer, you can't disgard the fact that Android development jobs are increasing.

I did a quick search for Android Mobile as search keywords on Monster.com, Dice.com, and Careerbuilder.com and got the following results as of today.

• Monster.com - 33 jobs
  • Dice.com - 534 jobs
  • Careerbuilder.com - 251 jobs
Java is definitely needed for Android development, if you don't plan to develop using something like AppInventor or any of the other frameworks available for Android development that don't require developing directly with Java. Just don't discount the availability of employers looking for people with Android development skills.

iPirate

Reaction score

Taking specific courses for Android development seems like a waste; the difference between Android and Java are very minor and Java will look better on your resume than Android.

Sorry I disgree with the above statement somewhat. Mobile Development is on the increase and has been the past couple years, since the iPhone really kicked mobile development in high gear. While it is true that you are much more likely to get a job as a Java developer, you can't disgard the fact that Android development jobs are increasing.

I did a quick search for Android Mobile as search keywords on Monster.com, Dice.com, and Careerbuilder.com and got the following results as of today.

• Monster.com - 33 jobs
  • Dice.com - 534 jobs
  • Careerbuilder.com - 251 jobs
Java is definitely needed for Android development, if you don't plan to develop using something like AppInventor or any of the other frameworks available for Android development that don't require developing directly with Java. Just don't discount the availability of employers looking for people with Android development skills.

I understand there is some need for Android development but the skills learned when learning Java will help a lot more than learning a specific skill set for Android platform. I'm curious if there are even specific Android development courses...

Those sites have a couple of jobs for Android developers, did you try searching Java? I'm betting it will return thousands of jobs.

OP
Zeroz20

Zeroz20

Reaction score
thanks for all ur help guys, your answer were great, just what i was looking for, thanks for the time.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Excellent thread as I am interested in this as well!

DroidForums junkie!!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
What kind of computer background do the most successful developers have? Like if i wanted to go to school to help me understand software development kits and source codes for Android, what types of classes would i need to be in, be as specific as you can my fellow Droiders!
Start with a good foundation and then work on getting into the specifics. I'm not entirely sure that school is the best place to get what you specifically need for Android development. You can tailor your skillset as needed once you have a strong foundation. It's easier in general to work with lower level languages and then move up rather than vice versa in my experience. For one thing, the lower level languages don't tolerate the kind of slop that higher languages might accept.

Don't underestimate the value of working on your own projects with your own initiative either. Use your free time to focus on specifics such as Android development.