Destinator 9 GPS Nav system for Android

ociopia

Reaction score
Has anyone downloaded and tried the new Destinaor 9 gps navigation system that navtec is offering for the Droid (and other Android phones?) It is supposedly available at the App store, as well as on the web. (I don't have a Droid yet so I can't look and verify this.) It is $69.99.

It has features that the Goggle Maps Navigation doesn't have - like lane assistance and avoid highways features so I'm curious to hear some reviews, as the only reason I haven't purchased a Droid yet is the lack of avoid highways on the gps system.

Thanks.

Twoo

Reaction score
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I think 99% of Droid owners will avoid paying $70 for a navigation program that is already on their phone.

I totally agree with the avoiding option, but remember Google Nav is a Beta program, and is essentially for testing so Google can improve it as it goes along. A good side note is Google Nav has live Traffic, and you can select alternate routes which will avoid highways, especially is traffic conditions are poor.

So in a way it does have highway avoidance, just select alternate routes. But it would be nice to have it set as an option along with Toll Avoidance. This has been brought up in the Google Forums and will be addressed in the Google Nav update.

As far as the POI missing (you have to search for something instead) Google released an App called Places Directory, which is a POI program for Google Maps.

medicTHREE

Reaction score
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I think 99% of Droid owners will avoid paying $70 for a navigation program that is already on their phone.

I totally agree with the avoiding option, but remember Google Nav is a Beta program, and is essentially for testing so Google can improve it as it goes along. A good side note is Google Nav has live Traffic, and you can select alternate routes which will avoid highways, especially is traffic conditions are poor.

Remember that Google's beta testing program is super slow. Gmail JUST got out of BETA. Does this program store the map on your card? If it does it could be worth it for some. I fyou use data while traveling with google nav you lose your navigation.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I will second that statement, while the google nav may not be 100% sound, it is still also in beta, and is always updating itself. I don't think i'd ever pay to have a GPS Nav on there, that it already has.

Aximtreo

Reaction score
Google maps

I will second that statement, while the google nav may not be 100% sound, it is still also in beta, and is always updating itself. I don't think i'd ever pay to have a GPS Nav on there, that it already has.

I did purchase CoPilot for the Droid simply because Google maps doesn't work if you have no phone signal. Back east, this might not be a problem but here in Arizona with the vast openess and the mountains, having a satellite system seems worth the $20 I paid for Co Pilot. Just my 2 cents.:)

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No way I'm paying $70 for a feature my phone has built in. Google Nav is spot on for me.

Not to mention you can buy a Tom Tom or similar devices for that 70 bucks.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

I did purchase CoPilot for the Droid simply because Google maps doesn't work if you have no phone signal. Back east, this might not be a problem but here in Arizona with the vast openess and the mountains, having a satellite system seems worth the $20 I paid for Co Pilot. Just my 2 cents.:)

In your situation i completely agree. If you can't get signal for it to work then you have only a few options lol. I have a feeling much will change about the way the navigation works in the end of the beta.

OP
ociopia

ociopia

Reaction score
Well, guys, I'm phobic about driving on highways. Literally phobic. I know it is hard to fathom but I need to be able to pre-set avoid highways. Some of us are just nut jobs. I had a Droid and was (because of my need) so shocked that Google Navigation didin't have that feature. Then I went to app store, tried all there was, and just couldn't find a good nav system that avoided highways. Co-pilot doesn't have avoid highways either. So I had to return the phone. I've been "stalking" the internet and when Destinator 9 came out I thought, "wow - this could be it."

So I either have to pay $70 or buy a separate device or stay with my iphone which has ATT Navigator until Google Maps puts that feature on their system.

silvere2

Reaction score
Well, guys, I'm phobic about driving on highways. Literally phobic. I know it is hard to fathom but I need to be able to pre-set avoid highways. Some of us are just nut jobs. I had a Droid and was (because of my need) so shocked that Google Navigation didin't have that feature. Then I went to app store, tried all there was, and just couldn't find a good nav system that avoided highways. Co-pilot doesn't have avoid highways either. So I had to return the phone. I've been "stalking" the internet and when Destinator 9 came out I thought, "wow - this could be it."

So I either have to pay $70 or buy a separate device or stay with my iphone which has ATT Navigator until Google Maps puts that feature on their system.

So you've never been on a road trip before?

Erich_F

Reaction score
So I had to return the phone

Do you realize how silly this sounds? You HAD to return the PHONE because it didn't have a minor GPS feature that most dedicated GPS units don't even have? You're right, you are nuts :)

medicTHREE

Reaction score

Do you realize how silly this sounds? You HAD to return the PHONE because it didn't have a minor GPS feature that most dedicated GPS units don't even have? You're right, you are nuts :)

Some people have a serious fear with driving. This isn't an uncommon feature. Streets and trips from 4 years ago had it, and every GPS unit I've played with has had it. It does seem silly they dont have it on google nav. Would I personally pay 70 bucks to get it, not a chance. But it is pretty dumb to not have that, or avoid tollways enabled.

Erich_F

Reaction score

Some people have a serious fear with driving. This isn't an uncommon feature. Streets and trips from 4 years ago had it, and every GPS unit I've played with has had it. It does seem silly they dont have it on google nav. Would I personally pay 70 bucks to get it, not a chance. But it is pretty dumb to not have that, or avoid tollways enabled.

I can respect an honest fear of driving. That's not my point. My point is this person felt compelled to return a phone because it lacked a minor GPS feature that has nothing to do with being a phone to begin with. It sounds like he wasn't looking for a phone that had a GPS in it, he was looking for a GPS that happened to have a phone and internet in it. He put himself through a lot of trouble over nothing. Either that, or we have a troll. :)

darreno1

Reaction score
I can respect an honest fear of driving. That's not my point. My point is this person felt compelled to return a phone because it lacked a minor GPS feature that has nothing to do with being a phone to begin with. It sounds like he wasn't looking for a phone that had a GPS in it, he was looking for a GPS that happened to have a phone and internet in it. He put himself through a lot of trouble over nothing. Either that, or we have a troll. :)

^^totally agree, I mean if that's such a deal breaker, then just get a Garmin or Tom Tom.

moonie52

Reaction score
I hate to change the tone of this....thread, but I have an issue with making it work. I keep getting an error that says 'failed toload resources, please check installation. I have tried numerous re-loads but no luck. Anyone else have this problem?

PS. I recently traveled through West Virginia for business and since thier is only extended network service, my GPS didnt work. This is why I am willing to pay $69 for an app that is already FREE on my phone. Not much of a feature if you cant access it anytime anyplace.

tehpriest

Reaction score
I have taken it off mine now (don't want to pay 69 euro for a sat nav) but I am sure I saw that feature on MotoNav. Maybe mistaken though.