Designing/fabricating Thunderbolt antenna

nesler

Reaction score
I'm curious as to whether anyone knows anything about modern cell phone antenna design, particular of the sort used in the Thunderbolt.

I bought a cheap extended battery for the phone, and while the battery works very well, the door that came with it has the metal contacts, but lacks the antenna. The phone easily connects to 3G (strangely enough), but cannot maintain a 4G connection for more than a moment at a time.

I screwed around a bit, and managed to make an antenna out of aluminum foil, taped in place to the battery door, and it actually works. But I'm only getting about 60-80% of data speed that I get with the antenna on the stock door.

Purely for the purpose of experimentation: Are there specific designs or improvements that can improve signal reception? (This could be useful to people who like to tinker, and live in areas with marginal 4G reception)

ziggy484

Reaction score
I'm curious as to whether anyone knows anything about modern cell phone antenna design, particular of the sort used in the Thunderbolt.

I bought a cheap extended battery for the phone, and while the battery works very well, the door that came with it has the metal contacts, but lacks the antenna. The phone easily connects to 3G (strangely enough), but cannot maintain a 4G connection for more than a moment at a time.

I screwed around a bit, and managed to make an antenna out of aluminum foil, taped in place to the battery door, and it actually works. But I'm only getting about 60-80% of data speed that I get with the antenna on the stock door.

Purely for the purpose of experimentation: Are there specific designs or improvements that can improve signal reception? (This could be useful to people who like to tinker, and live in areas with marginal 4G reception)

did you ever see Back to the Future? Doc Brown has that crazy looking "mad scientist" helmet... try using your tb with one of those on your dome