Deleting messages is a problem

Angry_snowman1

Reaction score
I don't have Handcent (or an Eris), so I can't speak to it specifically, but I would hazard a guess that the problem is the sheer volume of texts it's trying to delete. Taking a long time to delete so many texts (giving the impression of freezing) might be what's happening, or it may just be too big of a task for the OS to handle and it just freezes. Why would you ever need to store 2000 or 5000 texts per thread anyway? Try setting you limit at 200 or 500 and see if you still have the same problem.

Completely agreed. I had this issue on my t-mobile G1 and learned the hard way. The best way to delete those messaged is one at a time until you get down to maybe 200 or so...I'd have to say that it's a problem for the OS as well. That's quite a bit of data even though it's just text...
Agreed.. :D

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm not even sure what I have my limits set to, because I only keep threads from certain people in my inbox at all, and I tend to delete those myself when they're around 100, just because of the issue I know existed on the G1.

If you want to keep 5,000 messages in one thread for specific people, I'd just suggest that you make sure to periodically delete threads from other people, and realize that you'll have some work to do if you ever decide that you don't want the 5,000 message threads anymore...

Of course, everything I've said in this thread is my own opinion/observation. Take what you will from it. Not trying to tell you how to manage your conversations!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yeah I currently have 1362 emails in my inbox :(

I'm absolutely DREADING this task

Thought this was about texts, but if you want to delete multiple e-mails, I suggest doing so on the computer and letting sync do its thing. 1000+ will still take a while, but I find it easier to do that kinda thing on the computer.

As well, if you want to delete all items in the trash folder/label, if you go to gmail.com on your computer, all you have to do is click on the trash folder and then click "empty trash." Boom! Done! :icon_ banana:

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Oh my bad! I wasn't even paying attention....I just assumed this thread was about email for some unknown reason...

>disregard<

But thanks for the help Jonny :)

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
No worries! SOMEONE mentioned e-mails in this thread and the fact that the gmail app doesn't allow you to "select all" in the trash can.

As well, contacts are much easier to manage via gmail.com if you've got a lot to edit/delete/move to different groups.

Now, back on topic...Haha!

j.overton92

Reaction score
same problem here.

hey guys, i've been having the same problem. it's a pain in the butt to say the least. i just google'd it and found on another forum that there's an app in the market called "sms quick delete" that can be used for this. i'm in the process of using it right now, so i'm not promising it works.. but it's worth a shot? i think it still takes several minutes to delete but on my eris with the normal messaging app, mine wouldn't delete at all soo i think this is a better deal. (if it works, that is.)

i'll let y'all know if it works on my phone and if anyone else tries it, let me know if it works on yours?

thanks! :)

j.overton92

Reaction score
it works. You may have to go through each person individually and delete 100 or 200 messages at a time but it was very helpful to me!

cthulhuX

Reaction score
Perhaps SOLVED

I had a thread of around 1300 messages that I couldn't seem to delete. As per other other people's experience, while I might be able to go on and do other things, either the message service would crash or the phone would be slow or lock up. But in general, I was able to delete sizable but smaller threads (100-200 messages) if I set the phone aside for a few minutes after issuing the thread delete command. Thus, after spending some idle time at chipping away at the longer 1000+ threads on my phone, I decided to try the following:

With the phone charged or being charged (so that it would be unlikely to run out of juice), issue the delete thread command before going to bed.

Sure enough in the morning the thread was gone!

So it seems like the phone just needs time and memory resources to complete the task. I suspect the SMS Delete app that people have recommended merely prioritizes the message delete process over what the phone does normally.

Now it would be helpful if someone could make a chart as to thread size and time it takes to delete. I suspect it didn't take all night to dump 1300 messages but maybe 5000 might take several hours; I just don't know for sure.

DJKing OX

Reaction score
I have had this same problem multiple times. unfortunately, my only way i had found was doing a factory reset. -_- I made sure all contacts were saved thru google, i wrote down the apps i cared about, and i made sure all pic messages were saved. and....once i reset it, I couldn't believe how fast my phone was. Personally, I HATE my Eris with a passion; battery life, speed, processor, touch screen, pocket calling, etc, etc. If the battery didn't blow and the processor was a bit quicker, prolly wouldn't mind.

Thank God i'm due for an Upgrade with Verizon...Now I'm hooked on google searching new verizon android phones coming out in the next 3-5 months....i think i can deal with this POS that long.